Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another interrail question

• 16-05-2007 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Going interrailing in a few weeks for a month, Paris-Munich-Prague-Amsterdam. Just wondering how much money would be suffice and would we need to prebook hostels? Also would my atm card work in those countries? Was thinking of getting a credit card but dunno if I'd trust myself with one! :p Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Depends on the ATM card, but yeah, most of them should work without a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

how much money u would need depends on what u plan on doing. are u gonna be drinkin much eating out a lot or cooking ur own food etc. amsterdam is very expensive so if ur plannin on stayin there for long its gonna cost ya! heard paris is pricey 2. as for pre-bookin hostels, dont bother. there are loads around so it wont be a problem findin any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭stepperupper

i'm going for a month from Amsterdam to Rome (reaching as far as Budapest mind you) and I plan to take, or have at hand, €1000. Should that be enough u think? Will be doing a lot of drinking and will be stoking up on "medicinal herbs" in the Dam......... sh1t I might need more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

U could probably do it for €1000 but id have a bit extra just in case. its easy to spend money without realisin it when ur there. The drink is cheaper almost everywhere but when ur sessionin all the time it adds up! I went for 7 and a half weeks last summer and spent €3000, although about 700 was spent in the dam over 5 days at the end:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Jack Bauer

Yeh was thinkin the lines of €2000, and yes will be doin a lota drinkin...and other stuff :p Really wana have a good time, havent been abroad in years. Anyone got any other advice that was interrailing before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

I went Interrailling through Germany, Austria and Switzerland a few years ago.
    Went for 3weeks and brought 1,200 which lasted me the whole time and that included paying for hostels.

If your ATM card has a Maestro or Cirrus stamp on the back it will work most places, if not, give your bank a shout and check.

Keep in mind that everytime you take out money abroad you will be charged for the transaction, so best to take out larger amounts less often.
    Also, a trick I used was to right down exactly how much I took out and when - not very glamorous or fun, but that way I knew how much money I had left at all times, so I knew when I could splurge and when I had to save a little.

It's always good to have a wee safety net just incase. I was a student at the time, so got myself a student credit card with a low limit (500) that I put a few hundred into, just to spread my money around a little, so that if my ATM card was lost/stolen I had a back up.

Good luck, and have a great time! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

I was in Paris, Munich and Amsterdam last Summer interrailing; tbh, I think you should give some major consideration to camping - all of the major cities in Europe had campsites literally 10/20 minutes outside them, very easily accessible. Plus theres great craic to be had sitting around your tent under the sun in the evening, cookin a BBQ, having a few drinks before you head into the city. You also end up saving loads of money, particularly in pricey cities like Paris and Amsterdam.

In Paris, we camped in Bois du Boulogne, which was around 10 minutes from central Paris by bus. Accommodation anywhere in Paris works out pretty expensive, so it was a great alternative. There's a bar/shop/restaurant on site, adequate showering facilities etc so it wasnt a problem.
    I've been to Paris a few times before (am moving there for a year in October actually) and in general things arent cheap. The further youy move from the centre the less expensive it becomes, and sometimes you can be lucky enough to stumble upon some great budget options. Nightlife is great, but €8 a pint would be normal. Alcohol from supermarkets tends to be cheaper than over here though.
    We spent 2 days in Amsterdam; I didnt find it all that impressive - it too can be very expensive, and it is bursting at the seams with tourists. Can be quite dangerous at night if you're not careful too. Avoid any of the 'cafes' in central Amsterdam (the Grasshopper!!), they'll charge you through the roof for everything.
    Munich is a great city. Such a student buzz about; I would definitely recommend going on one of the scheduled pub crawls, they were the best craic, and a good way to meet other people. They also have the biggest beer garden in Europe, which is worth seeing. Never short of anything to do here. Dachau, a Nazi concentration camp isnt too far outside the city either if you're interested in that kind of thing. chilling.

and yup, theres my 2 cents, I'm going for a cigarette :D

edit: money thing, bought €1000 for 22 days, which worked out fine

Advertisement