Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain Analysis

Options
  • 16-05-2007 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I've recently been doing some UML because we are currently learning C++ in University and I thought it would be useful to do in my spare time. I haven't found UML overly difficult to learn, however I'm stuck on Domain Analysis, mainly what the hell it is and how it's useful!
    I've been searching the net and can't find anything on it. The basic idea I have is that it's an explanation of things before you make diagrams, i.e when making a Class diagram you explain the classes using it.

e.g:
    Class1: Superclass of Class2. Contains horse, donkey. Computes algorithm, adds a to b etc.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Cina wrote:
    Hi guys,
    I've recently been doing some UML because we are currently learning C++ in University and I thought it would be useful to do in my spare time. I haven't found UML overly difficult to learn, however I'm stuck on Domain Analysis, mainly what the hell it is and how it's useful!
    I've been searching the net and can't find anything on it. The basic idea I have is that it's an explanation of things before you make diagrams, i.e when making a Class diagram you explain the classes using it.

e.g:
    Class1: Superclass of Class2. Contains horse, donkey. Computes algorithm, adds a to b etc.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

I had a bit of trouble with this when I was first learning UML. I soon realised that you can't really learn domain analysis. A domain suggests a particular field of expertise, such as Medical, Banking, ecommerce ete. There would be no such a thing as a general purpose Domain analysis expert. One would generally be an expert in a particular industry through years of experience and the some of the skills you aquire would not tend to be easily transferable to another domain, such as jumping from Medical Systems to Banking Systems for example.

So continue to learn the basics of UML by all means but don't worry too much if you are having trouble coming up with complex scenarios etc. You probably won't see too much UML when you graduate anyway, I'm don't believe it is too widely used in my limited experience ( at least not properly) beyond making fancy diagrams for impressing people at meetings :) .

Advertisement