Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Adding or removing seats

Options
  • 16-05-2007 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

Apart from the labour, what would be involved in either adding say 4 seats to the back of a van, or temporarily removing the seats from a crew cab van? I imagine removing the seats temporarily would be fine but adding seats to a van that's registered as only having 3 (driver and 2 passengers) would be a bit more complicated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You'd be liable for VRT

Having 7 people in the van would be handy for those push-starts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Haha:D

I'm guessing VRT is Vehicle Reg' Tax? How much would I be looking at exactly?

it goes on a percentage of the value of your van...
    less hassle to just bite the bullet and buy a crewcab.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Haven't we got that Cormie's Van forum yet? :D

Hehe:)

Yeah, see I'd like a van that I can take 6 passengers in when I need to, but also remove the seats if I need the space for something else. Easiest option would probably be to get a crew cab and replace the seats with removable ones, or do some DIY jobby.

Does anyone know if Transit crew cabs or 3 or 4 seats in the back? I know Renault Masters are 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Do crew cabs not come with a solid barrier between the passenger and cargo area? Unless you get an older van and put in tempory seating for extra passengers then take it back out again, is the only way to do it as I don't think that you can remove the seats from crew cabs.

I know a person with a big old Merc van with an extra seat in the back for bringing the band around. Van has been DOE'ed no problem. Don't know if they are proper seats or just a sofa stuck in though!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,279 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Oh dear God. :rolleyes:

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

I would say insurance to carry those passengers in the rear an important thing to look into. I don't think it's a straightforward thing to carry passengers in the cargo area of a commerical van. You'd have to think about fitting seatbelts too.

I think 7 seats is ok, I was talking to a guy with a 7 seater who had a transit mini bus before, the mini bus was 3.5K a year to insure, the 7 seater 1K so I don't think it's too bad.

Yeah, I think most of the crew cabs do have a barrier, that's where the DIY comes in;) I'm thinking a hinged door that can be brought back and stand up straight against the side walls when I need the full space, remove the seats and then I have use of the full length of the van, if I need the seats, I just put them back in, close the doors behind the seats and that'll be them closed off again. :cool:

post some pics when you do!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Another Cormie classic! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

IrishRover wrote:
    I would say insurance to carry those passengers in the rear an important thing to look into. I don't think it's a straightforward thing to carry passengers in the cargo area of a commerical van. You'd have to think about fitting seatbelts too.
    There was a court case recently where a woman travelling in the back of a van was injured in a crash, she wanted compo from the insurance which naturally enough told her where to go.
    She was not happy with the outcome and took it to the European court which ruled that she was entitled to compensation!
    I expect that all commercial insurance will be affected by this ruling.

that's a new caravan for her so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I have a jackhammer, some slab nails and chewing gum around here somewhere if the OP is interested.

Oh, and an invalidated finance agreement...

Joke:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭afatbollix

you will also need to fit windows in the back..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,279 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Think big! Fit seats and windows to a 40 foot container - bingo - a Bingo bus!

Not your ornery onager

Definitely sounds like starting with a crew cab and removing seats is the best option rather than trying to add removable seats to a normal one anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Why don't you give the VRO a call and see what's involved in getting extra seats added to a normal van? You'd have a lot of cutting and welding to convert a crew cab to removable seats. You could proberly pick up a couple of used coach seats with belts and stick them in the back of a van. They would only need to be bolted to the chassis rails to make them as secure as on a coach!

Would I definitely need windows in the back? I suppose I should really just have a look at a few crew cabs first and see what would be involved:) At least there would be no paperwork anyway!

Advertisement