Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

home wireless network

• 16-05-2007 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

hey i have a Shuttle XPC nicely kitted out with loadsa nice computer stuff in it including Windows Media Centre, and i want to turn it into a server/media hub.

It is connected to the netgear wireless router via cable, a few other computers connect directly to the lan as well. i connect wirelessly as does my dads notebook.

i used to have wireless printing set up as well on a diff machine but i changed the computer and now i want to set up a network where the Shuttle acts like a server, and all the other computers can connect to it to get the media content. is it possible to set up a network where some connect via the router and some connect wirelessly.

also i cant for love nor money get the wireless printing working again. if anyone can help it would be great as my dad works from home and i just built an office out the back and would love to use a computer inside the house as a server for security reasons.

i wont harp on much longer but if someone can elighten me it would be terrific.

oh and one last thing, a friend told me i can access the media content of the WMC anywhere in the world if i set it up a certain way. any info???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grodge

bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Umm unless im not understanding something in your setup... you just said some connect via cable and others via wireless.. so then yes thats how the network works now so again yes you can connect by either method to your shuttle.

How do you mean wireless printing? Do you mean you have a wireless printer on the network? Or a standard printer (usb/LPT) shared on a PC that you can access from a wireless system?
    If the latter then once it works on the host pc, just share it out and browse to that PC from any PC you want to print from and connect to the printer.

However software firewalls can stop this as well as authentication issues.. in other words if you cant connect to the PC or get asked for a password.

More info please.

Advertisement