Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Implant and crown prices??

• 16-05-2007 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any prices on implants and crowns.
    I have to try here because it is impossible to find prices or costs anywhere on the net or even over the phone.

The only way to find out is from people who have had any of these jobs done.

All help would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Nordie

I had a crown done a few years back, I was quoted approx €500 by my dentist and had it done for £160 in the North. Its too expensive here and alot of people head North to have their dental work done. I think you can get details for the Northern Dentists in the Golden Pages. Hope this helps.

I've just copped you're from Dundalk, Newry is your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Yeh.... guessing Newry is the best bet.......20 mins down the road.

O'Farrell & Staunton is on i found if anyone is interested.

I hope the cost is bit cheaper than here.

You'll save a fortune. I was also able to claim back the cost on my medical insurance so it actually didn't cost me anything.

Check out articles on the websites regarding Dental costs in Ireland, major dental treatment costing thousands here can be done in the North and abroad at a third of the cost here.

Give the guys in Newry a call, usually they don't charge for an examination and quote.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Thanks for that Nordie.

It's all good.........

Over and out.
    Darren.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,496 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I've two done, one for a front tooth and another for the back.

Both needed bio-oss as well as implantation and were about 3k each - my BUPA plan covered most of that, the crowns were 2.5k each. I claimed 40% of this back through the revenue.ie paye site.

Pretty pricy but the end result is definatly worth it. Also if something had gone wrong it was nice to know the dentists involved were a short drive away.

I did look at going up North and abroad but decided for major work like this it wasnt worth the risk, any how after tax relief and BUPA I wouldnt have saved much anyhow in the end.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Got two implants done, about 3,500 each, expensive but worth it. Was able to claim tax back so not too bad. Got them done locally because i didn't want to travel. It also involved around 8-9 seperate visits in order to be done correctly, so somewhere relatively local was a must for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

Does anyone have any prices on implants and crowns.

Getting a crown done this week..... €915 in the dental clinic upstairs in the Swan Centre in Rathmines. I didn't bother pricing around...
    And there's "clauses" in that estimation, saying it could be higher if there's other unforeseen treatment necessary when they start.

Not sure if that includes the initial X-ray either....
    Had a filling done first, and an X-ray to see the state of the tooth to be crowned.... I thought I saw €235 as the balance on my account on the receptionists Pc.

You get a tax rebate on those sort of expensive treatments... probably 41%,
    ie. implants and crowns.. Not on the simple stuff like fillings though.

regards,
    Owen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 underblenge

I need 4 Crowns + a Bridge. I will be getting a quote from my dentist next week and know the quote will be more painful than the procedure. The Tax relief at 41% will help.

I thought I read somewhere before that foreign dental work is not allowable but that Northern Ireland is the exception.

If I got the Job done in the North, does anyone know if am I entitled to claim back the Tax relief here at 41% ?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I've just had two bridges done in O'Farrell Staunton. Very happy with them. Worked out at STG£280 Per Piece (ie per tooth on bridge). Almost painless & very easy to find. Very efficent also, will try to accommodate you as you're travelling with either an early or late appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 SedationDentist

There's definitely going to be a difference in cost, the question is do you want the cheapest? If I was getting any surgery (including dental) I would sure want the best.
    The costs for dental treatment vary according to the quality of the materials used, the time spent , the cost of the laboratory fees, and other surgery costs. When I make a crown for a patient, I can do it in 30 minutes and send it to an ultra cheap lab; or I can take a lot longer and send it to the best, the difference in laboratory cost alone will be anywhere between €30 and €300. Here's the point though - YOU COULDNT TELL THE DIFFERENCE JUST BY LOOKING. For sure, one stands a lot better chance of being there in 20 years than the other. So how do you know what you're getting? You probably don't.
    I think it's more important to build up a relationship with a dentist you can trust, preferably one well qualified, with an active interest in continuing education and ideally with a recommendation from someone you know.

So if you want cheap go North - I'm not saying it will be poor, it may in fact be very good. I simply know that in my my work I can't consistently provide anything near the kind of quality treatment that I would want in my mouth at those prices.

For sure, one stands a lot better chance of being there in 20 years than the other. So how do you know what you're getting? You probably don't.

The crowns I got done up north when I was seventeen (21 years ago (jeez where did the time go?) Are still in place & still perfect, been in pretty much daily use every day too !!

I don't buy into the reasons they cost more down here, for that very reason. Mine are still perfect (actually my dentist down here commented on how good they were), they only cost a third of what they'd cost down here... Surprisingly my old dentist every time I went to him was recommending root canal treatment & fillings every time. I got a second opinion off the new guy & a third up north & they both disagreed with the first opinion. Strangely enough, the old guy drives a newer model BMW z3...

I got the name off the board here for O'F S in Newry & my own dentist recommended them also.

Not tarring all republic dentists with the same brush as obviously I'm very happy with my new guy, but like all industries, there are some who take the p**s & rip people off.

The price in the South is more expensive even after Tax Relief, but the Net difference is not so much compared to the hassle of all the travel involved with going up north.

But if I could claim tax relief on the work up north then it would be worth the hassle? Obviously the work would have to be of equal quality.

Does anyone know if am I entitled to claim back the 41% Tax relief here if the work is done in the north (as I think I read somewhere)?

Thanks

Does anyone know you are entitled to claim back the 41% Tax relief in the south if the dental work is done in the north (as I think I read somewhere)?

yes you can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Does it apply if you get it done abroad. I'll be needing a crown i think, and ill likely get it done in Munich since the gf is from there and we head over a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nixey

hi, i jus wanted to ask if anyone can recommend a REALLY good dentist to do implants.

I need to get an implant for my missing front tooth, but havn't got enough bone to support the implant so also need to get a bone tranpslant. I also damaged the gum badly in the fall so reckon I'd need some sort of gum transplant if thats possible??

Ideally I would like to go to a dentist that can do all these things!! I did get a bridge done up the North a few years ago but I really just wanna go somewhere local now and am really looking to go somewhere of really good quality. I'm byno means rich but am willing to pay a good bit just so I can smile with comfort again!!

If anyoe could help me out with this I'd be very grateful:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Go to your local dentist and get a referral to the Dublin Dental Hospital. They've got the best consultants in the country. It's possible you won't get in but it's worth a try. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

How does one qualify for the tax back? I know you have to have 260 prsi payments but do I have to send in a p60 or anything, or is a MED 1/2 enough?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭cgc5483

How does one qualify for the tax back? I know you have to have 260 prsi payments but do I have to send in a p60 or anything, or is a MED 1/2 enough?

Thanks.

It's tax back on your PAYE and not related to your PRSI payments. You just need to get the MED forms signed by your dentist and submit them at the end of the tax year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,496 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks.

I just did it online via the paye part of reachservices.ie

Got paid into my bank account about a week later, was very impressed have to say, didn't need to send in anything at all.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement