Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing Concrete Floor For Tiling

Options
  • 16-05-2007 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hi,

About to tile a new concrete floor (new as in about 4 months old) and im just wondering what i need to do to make sure the adhesive takes to the floor.

Obiviously a good sweep...

A friend has suggested sealing it with a 1 to 5 polybond mix, can anybody put any weight behind this?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭plasto

That would be a waste of polybond......tile directly to the concrete.

It will be alright as long as its dust and grease free.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Thanks for that!

Obiviously without seeing the floor you cant make a proper judgement but generally would a bucket of water sort out the dust/ grease? Maybe a bit of washing up liquid in it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Just hoover the floor and removed any "lumps" off it to make it flat, bits of plaster, concrete etc, no need to wash it!!

Out of interest are you tiling it yourself?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

we put a 5:1 mix of polybond on mine after a good sweep, it did wonders for the dust, but ours wasn't 4 months old. Careful hoovering up concrete dust, it'll make garbage of normal household hoovers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thats where the mothes old hoover works a treat!! Sweep it first then get the hoover to take care of the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

yop wrote:
    Thats where the mothes old hoover works a treat!! Sweep it first then get the hoover to take care of the rest.

Yeah im tiling it myself...

Didnt want to hoover it as i used to sell them and saw first hand what happens when you hoover up builders dust but ill give it a good sweep and bite the bullet

Thanks all

Advertisement