Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE debate between leaders of the smaller parties

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Trouble

So McDowell is pro-prosperity, pro-jobs, pro-investment? As opposed to all the parties that are against all that then....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Damo's thoughts...

Rabbitte - won it. Didn't get interrupted too much, was on message.
    Sargent - lost it. Too hyper, especially against McDowell in the early stages. Notes written on the hand not clever.
    Adams - too general in his comments, I think he's not well briefed with the little details of the south's electorate. That showed tonight.
    McDowell - took some punches early on, but gave them back, especially to Adams about criminality. But that was playing to his audience.

And a special mention to Mark Little... worst chair ever. Bring on Miriam tomorrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Rabbitte owned McDowell on that final point; when McDowell tried to say that the economy was the crucial issue for the Irish voters, Rabbitte just very coolly pointed out that isn't what the opinion polls are saying, and that issues like housing, health and education are way more important to people.

Thought McDowell was going to have a coronary by the end of it. That was one big red face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

very impressed by McDowell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

Rabbitte was best imho.

Adams took a severe blow when mcdowell got him on the holiday home when adams was being pious about his average industrial wage.

I pitied sergeant tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

McDowell was the best by a long long way

• Registered Users Posts: 36,351 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

cm2000 wrote:
    McDowell was the best by a long long way

I disagree. But it is all subjective I guess. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

excellent entertainment.

McDowell did good defending his corner. I was impressed.
    Rabitte performed well, and was quite sedate in comparison to usual - obviously made an effort to tone it down.
    Sargent- better than expected. A bit all over the place but solid performance.
    Adams was useless

Tomorrow night won't be nearly as exciting. Two stooges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Trouble

daveirl wrote:

I gathered that but does anyone really believe Ireland has a leftist party anymore? At least in economic terms. Socially yes but economically no, apart from SF. That said, if SF get in with FF, the price will be their economic position with a guarantee of progress on social matters such as housing, exclusion etc.

Little was pretty bad alright. Roll on Miriam tomorrow. You shouldn't but you would...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Great debate. McDowell did come out looking good considering it was 3 against 1. He came out with several sensible blows into the other parties.

Meanwhile Gerry Adams said the word "rights" about 17 times. He was shown up on the true facts and figures of this state.

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    I disagree. But it is all subjective I guess. :)
    absolutely but as a supporter-well an ff supporter but pd's are pretty compatable- i think he served the government excellently and i think that's a good measure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can't imagine what the Shinners thouight they'd gain by having Grizzly on instead of someone from this electoral jurisdiction

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well that was interesting, Rabbitte came out very well from it. Mark Little shouldn't be allowed to run an potatoe and spoon race let alone a debate with 4 heavyweight politicians involved in it.

Adams didn't come out great in it, which surprised me as the one good thing you can say about him is he is normally a polished performer.

Sargent made a few good points but I hate when people interupt others.

McDowell is on message alright continuing the pathetic negative fear mongering that has been typical of the governments capaigning so far (especially the PD's).

Moment of the debate the "Paris Hilton" line, I thought Herr Flick was going to burst a blood vessel after that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mark Little - all thats wrong with RTE

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

there should be one big debate between all parties to be honest.

If you look closely, this is the debate between all possible Tanaiste (everyone involved, perhaps with the exception of the PDs :D)

Tomorrow night will be "The Battle of the Prospective Taoisigh".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

why wouldn't pat rabitte answer yes or no to the 'simple yes or no question' mark little put to him at the end....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Because its more complicated than yes or no, there are issues that have to be agreed upon between the parties. And of course he doesn't want to lose preferences for either FG or FF supporters.

why wouldn't pat rabitte answer yes or no to the 'simple yes or ne question' mark little put to him at the end....
    because he will grovel to ff if he has to

how bad was adams? it was comical at times

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

DMC wrote:
    McDowell - took some punches early on, but gave them back, especially to Adams about criminality. But that was playing to his audience.

See, that's what I really like about him. He doesn't play the populist like Jerry Adams does. I can't stand small parties that won't form a major part of public policy promising the sun, moon and stars since they'll never be in a position to live up to the promises.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Mark did allow people to talk over McDowell continuously which seemed unfair.

Why does Pat Rabitte constantly attack the PD party? PD and Labour voters are completely different and will only vote for one or the other. Labour are losing votes to Sinn Fein. He should have concentrated his time attacking their policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Despite being surrounded by "The Left, the Hard Left and the Leftovers" as he so brilliantly put it and despite being shouted down at every opportunity, Michael McDowell put in a fantastic performance tonight.

He underlined brilliantly that the alternative government is a centre-left option that is not pro-enterprise, is not pro business and holds ideological unrealistic views on life that are antithetic to the prosperity that we have enjoyed in this country over the last decade.

Not only that, but he also destroyed Gerry Adams, calling him out on the fact that he wouldn't answer any questions directly because he simply didn't have the necessary knowledge. He also brought up Adams use of drug derived monies in the past when he was involved in the IRA Army Council, beautifully destroying whatever credibility the man has left (IMO, none to begin with.)

Despite all this however, I fear we are looking at the inevitable decline of the PDs and the rise to power of a centre-left government who will destroy business confidence in the search of that fabled non-existent "equality".

God help us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

the holiday home comment surely hurt Gerry 'rights + average industrial wage' Adams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Because he cant say no even though he wants to.

AlanOB wrote:
    Despite being surrounded by "The Left, the Hard Left and the Leftovers" as he so brilliantly put it
    way funnier than the paris hilton remark too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Tostao*

i also thought that mcdowell did a great job defending his corner against three others ganging up against him

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

ateam wrote:
    Mark did allow people to talk over McDowell continuously which seemed unfair.

That wasn't Mark Little being biased against the PDs, that was Mark Little showing that he's incapable of chairing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

McDowell was getting up to go as soon as the lights went down and the credits started rolling, but sat back down. Parody of real life, anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I was cringing for some of that, but I also really enjoyed it.
    Quote of the debate: "I'm surrounded by the left, the hard-left, and the leftovers!"
    Rabitte probably came out best because he was quiet.
    McDowell put the smackdown on the others a fair few times.
    Adams was remarkable poor.
    Sargent wasn't great.

The opening speech's I would say
    1). Rabbitte
    2). McDowell
    3). Sargent
    4). Adams

Advertisement