Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping Sinn Fein out of power

Options
  • 16-05-2007 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

So just how should one vote if their main aim is to ensure that SF do not get a foothold in the government of this country?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭rubberduckey

It would also be one of my goals in this election. Any advice.(Be nice)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Gerry Adams wont have won many people over after his performance tonight. Whats all this 'rights' stuff about?

I think voting Fianna Fail and Labour may be best for keeping them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

would vote FG/LAb/Green as all of these parties have stated they wont go into govt with SF. wouldnt trust FF as far as i could throw them and SF and FF share a common past. plus voting for the rainbow represents best oppurtunity to keep SF out of Govt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭lezizi

Sinn Fein for Government, Gerry for Taoiseach!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Unless the DUP are running I don't see a 100% safe party...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

Vote for the rainbow - I love this election already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

jhegarty wrote:

You mean you don't see a single party not willing to enter government with SF? I think it's fair to say that (should the Labour and Green votes plummet) FG would rather stay in opposition than go into coalition with SF, and the PDs would most likely opt out of such a coalition with FF and SF (or will the PDs have any representatives?)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Vote Progressive Democrats.
    They'd never touch Sinn Fein, and SF would hate you for it too. The two parties are real enemies.

EDIT: and Upmeath, the PDs were polling at the same level last election when they won eight seats, so they will have representatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Vote for Fine Gael or Labour. Kenny and Rabbitte have both said they will not go into coalition with SF under any circumstances. There's still a possibility that Fianna Fáil might if they didn't have any other choice

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭RalphCifaretto

darkman2 wrote:
    Gerry Adams wont have won many people over after his performance tonight. Whats all this 'rights' stuff about?

SF are possibly the most effective party on this island at the moment. I think it's clear that their southern strategy remains slightly disjointed. However, when the northern assembly settles down, and more of their efforts are directed towards the south, I'm sure they will become a serious political force.

In the meantime it appears they have set their sights on the vacuum left by Labour's rightward drift. Adams performance was quite clearly aimed in that direction, we'll just have to wait and see if they are successful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Tchocky wrote:
    Vote for the rainbow - I love this election already :)

Will you be home for it, or do you get a postal vote?

Also OP, what constituency are you based in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

There are in fact two ways IMO. The first is to vote ALL the way down, except for SF. Give Fianna Fáil the very last of your preferences,because if they could break their "core value" of only being in power with an overall majority back in 1989 I think (it was either 87 or 89 I can't remember which one exactly) and they went in with the PDs instead, then they certainly can break the promise that they "would go in to opposition rather than go in with power with Sinn Fein" are making now.

The second way is the route I would recommend, vote for all of FG+Lab+Green, and no matter how well FF and/or SF do there will be no way possible for SF to be in power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

jhegarty wrote:

Do you think that will ever happen? No really?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭shayg1971

Meath East

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

shayg1971 wrote:
    So just how should one vote if their main aim is to ensure that SF do not get a foothold in the government of this country?

Vote for somebody else, kinda obvious.

shayg1971 wrote:
    Meath East

http://www.mycandidate.ie/list.php?cid=35

A lot of candidates in a three seater, I don't recognise any of the names except O Buachalla, he was in NUI Maynooth when I was in first year. Are there any guaranteed seats do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

We'll see how many of the 'Never with Shinners' Political Parties change their views if the numbers don’t add up.

Also my main hope (for this election) is however gets back in they finally give the boot to the PD's and in particular Michael 'Mullah' McDowell. He is without doubt the worst Minister of Justice the country has ever had. I would go so far as to say that he is unfit to hold any Ministerial post.

He’s already put the knife into Bertie(The Party the PD's are in Coalition with) over the whole 'Berties house' deal (information leaked from documents concerning the Mahon Tribunal) it will come out that he was more than likely responsible for this.

As Minister for Justice he has never shied away from using his position for political gain, up to and including releasing sensitive confidential documents (that only the Minister of Justice gets to see) into the public arena to further his own political ends.

The truly sad/shocking thing about this is that he is a trained barrister, has a better working knowledge of legal matters than the majority of TD's and would still release confidential information to the media even if doing this would mean that due process could no longer be served.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

shayg1971 wrote:

Mmm don't vote for them ?

Honestly must we have these excuses for a SF bashing thread every couple of days
    could someone not sticky a SF bashing thread so people don't have to open one as soon as the last one moves off the first page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Gobán Saor

wouldnt trust FF as far as i could throw them and SF and FF share a common past
    Fianna Fail split from Sinn Fein in 1927. If that qualifies a common past where does that leave Fine Gael, who split from Sinn Fein in 1922/23.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

Like other posters here, my advice to the OP is very simple - just don't vote for them!

Fine Gael several months ago, flat out, balls-to-the-wall, point blank stated that they would not go into government with Sinn Fein. End of. And I believe them too, for a couple of reasons.

Fianna Fail has recently ruled it out too in a press conference about a week or two ago, but they've said a lot of things over the past 5 years ...

Gob&#225 wrote: »
    Fianna Fail split from Sinn Fein in 1927. If that qualifies a common past where does that leave Fine Gael, who split from Sinn Fein in 1922/23.

Or the Labour party via the SFWP/WP/NA/DL route

or indeed the PDs who split from FF who split from SF

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Im not a supporter of them but the answer is clearly vote for PDs #1.

I'm even less a supporter of Fine Gael but they'd also be safe enough.

I'm 90% sure Fianna Fail wouldn't go into power with them but ehhh . . .ya know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 joecoote

Funny, I didn't think Adams came over particularly well this evening. However, the need to create and comment on this thread leads me to believe that SF may pose a bigger electoral threat to the bigger parties than I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

Gob&#225 wrote: »

was talking about the fact that historically FF would have a closer relationship to original IRA before they put their revolvers away and got involved in constitutional politics. the stickies were involved in criminality in the republic up unto outbreak of troubles while C na nGaedhals IRA connection ended with dawn of independence. the fact that FF proclaims itself as the Republican party would also be a common trait shared with SF

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Voipjunkie wrote:
    Mmm don't vote for them ?

Honestly must we have these excuses for a SF bashing thread every couple of days
    could someone not sticky a SF bashing thread so people don't have to open one as soon as the last one moves off the first page.

That's democratic: ban free-speech.

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire

galactus wrote:
    That's democratic: ban free-speech.

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire

Read what I wrote

I asked for a sticky (ie a permanent thread) for SF bashing so people do not have to open a new one when the last one moves of the front page
    Never said anything about banning anything

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Voipjunkie wrote:
    Read what I wrote

I asked for a sticky (ie a permanent thread) for SF bashing so people do not have to open a new one when the last one moves of the front page
    Never said anything about banning anything

You seem to have a curious definition of free-speech my friend. Confining any anti-SF remarks (or any party) to one thread is hardly the stuff of democracy.

"As long as you say it....over there. All the time" - Voipjunkie's addendum to Voltaire...?

• Advertisement

Voipjunkie wrote:
    Or the Labour party via the SFWP/WP/NA/DL route

or indeed the PDs who split from FF who split from SF

The Labour party was formed by James Connolly, it never split from SF. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_Party_%28Ireland%29

Also your attempts to show that all parties lead back to SF is rather silly, since surely it is obvious that the parties split from SF because they no longer shared the same view and desired to no longer share a common past?

Advertisement