Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping Sinn Fein out of power

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Brian, I think what Voipjunkie means is that some Labour party members came to Labour via the SFWP/WP/NA/DL route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not voting for them is always good but must we rehash ancient history yet again about who spawned whom? SF will not get enough seats this time round and judging by the hostile attitude to Adams last night and his own extremely poor performance, the likelihood of any other party going into government with them is remote. You can sleep easy OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 FiscalAvenger

http://ograshinnfein.blogspot.com/2007/05/michael-oneill-welcome-home-from.html

A big welcome home from Sinn Fein for a cop killer who has been "imprisoned" in luxury for eight years.

Don't forget to mention it to the next SF campaigner on your doorstep.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

This election does seem just to be one where I would vote against people rather than for anybody in particular. I don't actually see somebody worthy of a vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

shayg1971 wrote:
    So just how should one vote if their main aim is to ensure that SF do not get a foothold in the government of this country?

Vote for everyone else????

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭shayg1971

daveirl wrote:

Thanks Dave, that was indeed the intent when I opened the thread. Anyone who's final word is 'don't vote for them' is not showing much appreciation for the Multi-Seat Constituency / PR electoral system we have here. Nor indeed that there's a usual racing certainty that Irish Govt = Coalition Govt.

Sinn Fein Bashing? Where? This debate is about tactical voting to help ensure that a particular party who's social and nationalist ideology is at odds with my own does not get an opportunity to influence the direction of national govt. at the cabinate level for the next 4 or 5 years. Nothing more or less than that. That's not bashing, that's a free expression of opinion in the form of a (provcative question).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Indeed but rest assured that you're single vote will not stop SF going into govt. But by all means have your say!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,351 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

As mentioned above - the fact that Sinn Feinn are causing such an outpour of the heebie jeebies on this board shows that the message is getting through and progress is being made. Nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    As mentioned above - the fact that Sinn Feinn are causing such an outpour of the heebie jeebies on this board shows that the message is getting through and progress is being made. Nice one.

I actually think discussing them just drives more people to look at them ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

The Labour party was formed by James Connolly, it never split from SF. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_Party_%28Ireland%29

Also your attempts to show that all parties lead back to SF is rather silly, since surely it is obvious that the parties split from SF because they no longer shared the same view and desired to no longer share a common past?

The leader and Deputy Leader of the Labour Party are former members of SFWP/WP/NA/DL

That was my point to say FF are close to SF because they split from SF in 1927 is nonsense
    The point of the post was that FG also has its origins in SF as does the PDs via FF and to a lesser extent FG

And the Leadership and many senior members of the Labour Party have links that don't go back 8 decades but to suggest that you cannot trust them or the PDs or FG is patently nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Proinchis DeRossa, anyone?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

daveirl wrote:

My point was that the SF bashing one gets repeated more often than others we have only just finished with the have SF reformed thread when up pops this and a thread on McDowells allegations against Adams which could just have easily been discussed in the threads on the debate.
    The Sticky idea was meant as a joke.

If you want to discuss tactical voting then perhaps a thread on tactical voting would be better once you put SF in the title it degenerates quickly into pro and anti and the tactical issue which I agree is interesting is lost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dublin1600

galactus wrote:
    That's democratic: ban free-speech.
    Fianna Fail introduced the banning of free speech in 1971, anybody remember Section 31 of the Broadcasting Act, "This rule was brought in by Fianna Fáil Minister for Posts & Telegraphs Gerry Collins in 1971 and strengthened by Labour's Conor Cruise O'Brien in 1977"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland#The_Troubles

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭shayg1971

Voipjunkie wrote:
    If you want to discuss tactical voting then perhaps a thread on tactical voting would be better once you put SF in the title it degenerates quickly into pro and anti and the tactical issue which I agree is interesting is lost

Yup, I'll give you that.

SF are my own bogie-party for a variety of reasons, but you're right, a more general tactical voting discussion is academically more valid. Wonder if the thread would have heated up so quickly though, without throwing [insert bogie-party of your choice here] into the title?

Advertisement