Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV cancellation charge

Options
  • 16-05-2007 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭

There have been a couple of similar posts in the past but I think any UTV customers should be aware of what happens when they try to leave.

I recently moved , cancelling my old UTV clicksilver account. I have had the account, with no account changes since September 2004. Looking at my online account I noticed I am being charged a cancellation fee of 29.99, a charge of 30.00 for not returning my old Zyxel P-630 modem, and an extra months line rental of 24.99 for good measure.

On calling to query this I was told:
    The line rental charge had to be paid but would be immediately refunded
    Why not just cancel it???
    I had been sent an email telling me where to send the modem.
    I had not received such an email even though I specifically asked for this information when cancelling
    The cancellation fee applies even when the minimum period has expired - refer to the terms and conditions.
    The Terms and Conditions relating to the offer I signed up to in 2004 makes no reference to charges outside the Minimum Period which was 12 months at that time. (The current cancellation fees, for someone signing up today, are 59.99 within 6 months then 29.99 anytime after.)

UTV may say that my cancellation charge was detailed on the Prices Page
    when I signed up but I don't recall it and I have no way to verify it now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Here are the terms and conditions you would have signed up to prior to the 1st July 2005.
    http://u.tv/utvclicksilver/tandc_upto_20050701.asp

These are the ones if you signed up during one of their promotions prior to the 1st July 2005.
    http://u.tv/utvclicksilver/promotandc_upto20050701.asp

Their disconnection charges didn't apply prior to that date.
    Remember that if you made any changes on your account after that date you would be agreeing to the new terms.
    By changes I mean moving to a different package, getting the unlimited add on, upgrading your modem and probably a list of other things knowing UTV.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Yes as Kaisersoze says if you have changed any aspect of your deal with them since you signed up you are automatically moved to new terms and conditions.

On the other hand if you have not changed anything then emphasise to them that your old terms and conditions apply and if they take a cancellation fee from your account you will regard it as robbery because thats what it is.

I hate this cute hoorism stuff that UTV have adopted in the last few years.

Can you imagine the outcry if Eircom attempted to charge people for leaving (who had completed their minimum contracts!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

The deal was unchanged and as you both say the original pre July 2005 T & Cs apply. This is why I queried the charge in the first place.

However telling them this on the phone is a waste of time. It is nothing short of robbery and I'm not the only one it's happening to. Wonder if it's going to take legal action to sort them out.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i have just signed up with UTV for Broadband, i never seen this cancellation fee thing - typical!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

irishbird wrote:
    i have just signed up with UTV for Broadband, i never seen this cancellation fee thing - typical!!!

For anyone signing up now the fee is 59.99 for the first 6 months and 29.99 any time after that. See the bottom of the main prices page.

I'll have to say I had no complaints with the service up to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I cancelled with utv in Jan and dropped the direct debit straight away. Had to go searching myself for the address to send the modem back. Now apparently they owe me 24 quid. Woo!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I left them about two years ago to go to Smart and they messed me around so much when I left that I would never ever recommend them to anyone again.

In spite of explicit instructions from me (in accordance with their own Terms and Conditions I might add) they went ahead and deducted an amount from my account that was not due. The complete indifference they showed in the fact of my attempts to get this 'stolen' money back was incredible. I think in the end it cost me more in phone calls than was involved in the amount to actually get the refund.

They only have respect for their Terms and Conditions when it suits them and then they will be very quick to quote them to you.

In fairness to them there are a couple of friends of mine happily with them and as far as I know they are the only isp who publish previous terms and conditions - which all isps should do - and while I was with them Carl was amazingly obliging.

But the attitude they adopted a few years ago of attempting to extend contracts for the slightest little thing and the refusal to pass on speed/price improvements without extending contract not to mention this 'ransom' fee to exit is appalling and deserves no support at all.

Advertisement