Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MyFood.ie

• 16-05-2007 10:24pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5

Hey guys,

Relatively new to the site, but you seem to have a great thing going on here. I'm a food enthusiast like yourselves (and a computer nerd) so I made the following recipe sharing website, MyFood.ie

Just wondering what you all think of it and any ways I could improve it to develop it into a more useful service?

Thanks in advance! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Fair dues to you.
    I've had a quick look & the recipes seem to have a US-flavor to them. "Polka Dot Mac and Cheese", "Cups of this" & "ounces of that".
    Apart from that - it is a good start.
    I'd also suggest category of BBQ.

Good luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yeah, all the recipes do seem very US oriented. Plus, on a technical note, that main logo is riddled with jpeg artefacts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Great effort, but I'd back up what the others have said about it being a bit American. What, for example, is "savory" (in the lentil tomato stew)?

I'd also suggest trying to get a few more photos up, especially of the more off the wall recipes, and where the title isn't self-explanatory.

On the plus side, layout & usability are good and I really like the idea of the ingredient search function (although not really tested it yet).

hth, best of luck.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5 declansnowden

That's great thanks guys, some great advice there!
    Yes some of the recipes do have quite an American feeling to them, I'll be adding a conversion chart (imperial to metric, that kind of thing) soon so hopefully that will offset that a bit.
    By jpeg artefacts do you mean the sort of residue around the logo? Yeah I noticed that, not too sure how that happened, I'll try doing a better version of it, I think I might have resized it incorrectly or something.

Thanks again guys! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Great stuff, I will be contributing to this site at the weekend.

Cheeky request - any chance of a chili/curry subsection linky on the left?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

By jpeg artefacts do you mean the sort of residue around the logo? Yeah I noticed that, not too sure how that happened, I'll try doing a better version of it, I think I might have resized it incorrectly or something.
    You probably saved it with too low a quality after you resized it. For those kinds of logos with areas of solid colour, a lossless format like PNG or GIF is probably best. Keep the photos as JPG though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5 declansnowden

Alun > I have fixed the logo a bit, should look a bit better now. Resized it differently this time but yes probably will convert it to .png

Hill Billy > BBQ category now up and running!

rockbeer > Definitely trying to get a few more photos up, but generally encouraging home users to post photos of their versions of the recipes. The people posting the recipes also have the option of including a photo with their recipe as well.

Longfield > Glad to hear you'll be contributing, look forward to hearing from you. There is now a Chili / Curry category up and running :)

Thanks again guys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hill Billy > BBQ category now up and running!
    ...Thanks again guys :)

Good lad! You are more than welcome.

Will pop up a recipe later...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Hells Belles

Hi,

I think it's a great idea to have a site like this however I have to be honest and offer some constructive (I hope) criticism. The fact that the measurements are all American i.e. cups, totally puts me off. I looked up one of the recipes for All Bran Seed Bread and even with the conversion chart you have included, it is too much hassle to have to print out both the recipe and conversion chart and then search on the conversion chart to find out how many tablespoons of flour a cup is for example. And you need to do this for each ingredient! I actually wouldn't use the site because of this. It appears to be an Irish site so why not give the normal grammes and/or ounces?

Hells Belles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭billyblanks

I see you have a student section, I've never cooked a student before but I'm willing to give it a go...Trinity or UCD? ;)

Joking aside, Nice site....spotted 1 or 2 recipes Ill have a go at.

Advertisement