Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Buzz on Brookfield Apts.

Options
  • 16-05-2007 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

So guys Im currently doing the leaving and about to book a place in Brookfield and I have two questions.

1. How far is it from UL by foot/bike/shuttle?

2. Is it a nice area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It's pretty good out there...no pesky security guards and plenty of Shuttle busses. its about a 15/20 minute walk from the Foundation Building sober...drunk about 35/40.

Have a friend living out there...either get a 2 bed with someone u know or go for a 4/6 bed with a group of randomers, get to know people. They're fairly good quality too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I lived there last year and I hated it.

I didn't get along with my housemate at all (it was just the 2 of us). There was alot of things going on, she just generally was impossible to live with. Management wouldn't do anything about her. I complained numerous times (after trying to talk to her) and they refused to do anything, saying they weren't allowed. It was only when I went to the welfare officer in the SU that they got off the backsides and did something. She also did a runner without paying her rent/electricity. Management informed me of this when I moved out and asked did I know where she was but I didn't. They also told me the amount she owed. When I got my deposit back they informed me that they'd deducted X amount (the same amount she owed) for electricity. I couldn't get over it.

I had loads of problems with my keycard too. I was constantly getting locked out and they were really unhelpful. My key broke one Friday night and they just told me that the office wouldn't be open until Tuesday (it was a bank holiday) and I couldn't get a new key until then. They also couldn't guarantee that there would always be someone on reception to let me back in. I ended up having to take 3 days off work because I was afraid if I left I wouldn't get back in. Stuff like this happened a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Thaks guys, so it looks like its definatelly better to get more than one housemate? Oh and btw, how long would you be waiting for a shuttle? Is it dependable? Worth bringing a bike/car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

The bus isn't too bad - but neither is the walk! Used to take me about half an hour to walk into college from brookfield so I always walked unless it was raining. Cycle if you want but the Dublin road is dangerous enough to get across on foot, I wouldn't want to cycle across!

As for the bus, it's 50/50. Don't leave it to chance. If I was in for 10, I'd generally go down at about a quarter or twenty past. Better safe than sorry. Sometimes you could be waiting up to 40 minutes for the bus, other times it'd come straight away. It's meant to do a circular route (campus - courtyard - brookfield - college etc.) but I've often seen it go into courtyard and then straight back to college! Think it depends on the mood of the driver really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yeah, there's no Bus Éireann buses going that way - not like you can rely on them either! :mad:
    I'd recommend a bike. Personally I wouldn't live in Brookfield or Groody or anywhere like that though - I've never heard of any of them being particularly good, and as ergonomics experienced the managers are usually gowls. Though saying that I've had no actual experience of living in these places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Safest bet is to get somewhere on campus if possible for your first year.

Brookfield/Groody/Courtyard are fine, but most people I know living there are second or third years who have got a house together and know what they're getting into.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

If you're in first year, go to plassey...it's great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I lived in Brookfield for a semester, found it a bit lifeless but that suited me as I was doing a postgrad. Never had a problem with the management tbh and I was lucky enough to land a housemate I got on with. The trip to college is grand, the shuttle buses go regularly enough.

Wouldn't bother with Plassy, its extremely overpriced and the rooms are incredibly small and pokey.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

cornbb wrote:
    I lived in Brookfield for a semester, found it a bit lifeless but that suited me as I was doing a postgrad. Never had a problem with the management tbh and I was lucky enough to land a housemate I got on with. The trip to college is grand, the shuttle buses go regularly enough.

Wouldn't bother with Plassy, its extremely overpriced and the rooms are incredibly small and pokey.
    Plassey is great fun but not great accomodation....you'd most likely have 5 or 7 housemates. HAd a friend who stayed there last year and I utilised the couch a few times...ah happy days....the heating allowance is impossible to exceed too!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Lived in brookfield for a semester a few years ago.

Was fine. Bit far from college, but apart from that it was grand. Bit nicer now that Groody bar is there, so you dont need to walk all the way into the stables for a quick pint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

There's a load of people in my course out there, they all like it. The shuttle bus is regular, but once you're in college you're kind of there for the whole day, it's harder to just pop home.

I'm just finishing 1st year and stayed in Thomond this year. Would highly recommend it, there was a great atmosphere about the place throughout the year. It's only been a bit quiet around exam times. Whenever I came back down on Sundays I would always hear parties on, good buzz around the place.

Advertisement