Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

757 Engine Failure

Options
  • 16-05-2007 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭

This happened at Manchester a few weeks ago, I just thought it was an excellent example of the coolness of well trained pilots that were able to cope professionally with a bird strike and the quality of the ATC.

Sorry if this has been posted or discussed allready....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KhZwsYtNDE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

great vid thanks for pointing us to it used to work for rr so ben round the bid strike facilities at hucknall seen most of the cert vids for the 535 but never seen video of real bird strike like that remember a cowl been completely mashed by vultures in india but the birds werent sucked through the core so didnt do too much damage to the engine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yeah its interesting stuff allright.

First there were rumours it was two herons that went in then two smaller birds being chased by a heron but I dunno what it was in the end! Would be interesting to see how badly damaged the engine was. Scarey for the PAX seeing flames/hearing the bangs as it tried to relight but all in all a very pro handling of the situation. Very nice landing also.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

pilot and atc stay cool as a cucumber, very impressive, very professional
    good job

even if it's the situation they constantly train for, staying that collected when it actually happens is impressive

a prop is actually just a big fan to keep the pilot cool. proof? turn it off, and watch him sweat.

It got me thinking as well about how bored Airport Fire services must be unless stuff like this happens...in years of listening to Dublins ATC ive only heard the "rescue" callsigns a handfull of times...theres only so much training you can do, what do they do the rest of the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Friend of mine was departing Amsterdam last Friday, and 6 hours into their flight, the plane began to vibrate, and #3 went up in flames. He had a wing seat, they'd to out the fire, and return to Amsterdam as the airport they were to visit had no aircraft servicing ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

anyone know if the bird made it?

To bird heaven in about 50 pieces yes :D

Rolls Royce 1 Bird 0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Brings on the next question. Can a two engined air craft still fly if one goes down mid air or what happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Jon wrote:
    Brings on the next question. Can a two engined air craft still fly if one goes down mid air or what happens?

Check the video posted. That was a twin engine plane. Very impressive link pclancy. I'll be sure to be thinking of this thread when I take off on sunday to fly to Italy :(

Aye I did! However I'm talking about mid flight. Maybe I shouldn't have used mid air.
    Like 30,000 feet up and puff goes engine one, can a two engined air craft continue safely?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

ned78 wrote:
    Friend of mine was departing Amsterdam last Friday, and 6 hours into their flight, the plane began to vibrate, and #3 went up in flames. He had a wing seat, they'd to out the fire, and return to Amsterdam as the airport they were to visit had no aircraft servicing ability.

:eek: 6 hours into the flight and they returned to base.!!!!!

had to be some charter outfit?

Carribean destination???

Seems kind of strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Jon wrote:
    Aye I did! However I'm talking about mid flight. Maybe I shouldn't have used mid air.
    Like 30,000 feet up and puff goes engine one, can a two engined air craft continue safely?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETOPS
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETOPS

Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Jon wrote:

Part of the certification regime for all passenger aircraft is that they have to be able to take off, at maximum take-off weight (MTOW), on one engine in the case of twin-engined planes like the 757. For planes with 3 or 4 engines I'm not sure how it works.

The video is fantastic though. Well edited, well shot, no idiot talking over it, no dramatic music - he just let ATC, the flight crew and the fire services do all the talking. However the star of the show is the professionalism and cool head shown by all concerned.

I swear, this could make nervous flyers want to fly, since it's an example of how well things are handled when they do go wrong.

What often happens that they have to strike a balance between safety and cost/convenciance in the circumstances of losing an engine on a four engine bird. In that amsterdam case, wherever they were going probably didnt have the capability to replace an engine which means the plane/possibly passengers would have been stranded there for some time or perhaps the runway didnt have capability to let them take off again on 3 engines....im stabbing in the dark here as there are loads of reasons why the crew would decide to go back.....Returning to the dam also means it would have been able to go back into service much quicker.

Different airlines have differen rules regarding this and im sure a commercial pilot could explain better, there was a BA 747 flight recently that lost an engine shortly after take off from LA and continued on across the atlantic towards heathrow until having to divert to manchester as theyd used too much fuel. Again no danger to the passengers just a differnet judgement. A Qantas 747 lost an engine shortly after take off recently also and went straight back to LAX. Different airlines/governments/safety laws/procedures...it all depends on a load of factors.

Twin engine planes are subject to different rules and procedures as you'll have seen in the ETOPs info. Its a big difference having 4 or 2 engines so obviosly the safe thing for the thompson plane to do was burn a bit of fuel off and return to the airport, it actually stayed in the air over an hour AFAIK before landing again to get the weight down for a safe landing. People dont realise that takeoff is statistically the most dangerous part of the flight due to slow speeds/heavy weight etc but they train, train and train again for this kind of even and a great job by all concerned!

daveg wrote:
    Check the video posted. That was a twin engine plane. Very impressive link pclancy. I'll be sure to be thinking of this thread when I take off on sunday to fly to Italy :(

Sorry dude didnt mean to worry anyone but look how safely things do turn out when an incident happens like that....planes are so well maintained that the odds are amazingly low of an engine failure occurring on a modern aircraft and there are so many backup systems and procedures in place that again statistically it will nearly always end up with a safe conclusion, like the vid shows...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

pclancy wrote:
    Sorry dude didnt mean to worry anyone but look how safely things do turn out when an incident happens like that....planes are so well maintained that the odds are amazingly low of an engine failure occurring on a modern aircraft and there are so many backup systems and procedures in place that again statistically it will nearly always end up with a safe conclusion, like the vid shows...

Your fine that was a great video. I used to be a great flyer. Went for interviews with the RAF when I was younger. Loved flying. Have flown many many times (flew around the world last year). However had some bad experiences and this now makes me a nervous passenger. I know the statistics. I quote them to myself everytime I fly but I fucking hate taking off and turbulance now. Although, tbh, that clip will be all that I think of when I fly on Sunday :rolleyes: Cest La vie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

pclancy wrote:
    ....planes are so well maintained that the odds are amazingly low of an engine failure occurring on a modern aircraft

And I would add that it wasn't even a mechanical failure within the aircraft itself that caused this incident.

As a matter of interest, does anyone know what happened at Manchester when the Mayday call came in? Did they let other planes land while this one was holding, or did they shut the airfield and divert all traffic immediately? I imagine that shutting down Manchester for the best part of an hour would cause a fair amount of disruption.

Id say they kept running it as usual with the mayday's movements given a priority over all other traffic. Traffic could have been moved around fairly quick depending on the thompsons intentions. They obviously closed the runway after the mayday took off to clear it of bird/engine bits. You can also see an emirates jet lifting off just after the mayday landed in the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Excellent work by everybody!Thanks for posting this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Absoulty brillaimt footage also take a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyiHRq-wX8U

That jetblue one is cool, see how long he held the nose up for? A testamant to the nose gear that it didnt collapse during the roll out as well.

Heres another example of good piloting...dunno what its called crash as they seemed to be just damage to the aircraft...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6pTM4_Ullo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSafRuLB0c0 - sorry missed the end off the link
    how they test for bird strike
    RR trent 900

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Nice video.

The ATC is really good, immidiate , all runways available etc etc .

Most impressive.

The BA 747 from LAX made the news because of BA's reaction to carry on with the flight, the LAX ATC people released the audio where they are heard to say to one another that they expected that the BA crew would want to return... mins silence then the BA reacted that Company had advised that they should continue.

Advertisement