Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviation & Aircraft Photo Gallery *No Discussion*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lifelike

Dacian wrote: »
    I think the clarification is that the DUB runway can't accomodate a FULLY LOADED A340/B777. They can operate fine from DUB but are a little restricted in their range/payload.

The planned 2nd runway would be longer than the current one thus allowing DUB to handle all aircraft up to the A380 at max ability.

Is it a taxiway or stand/jetway restriction on the A380? I thought they had to design it with a wingspan under 80M(?) to allow it to operate to current airport standards. I was under the impression that the B747 when launched forced many airports to upgrade to handle it and since then Boeing/Airbus have followed certain size restrictions.

Thanks but if DUB can't handle a fully loaded 777, how did it cope with EI's 747's up until 1995? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Lifelike wrote: »
    Thanks but if DUB can't handle a fully loaded 777, how did it cope with EI's 747's up until 1995? :confused:

Before the current runway was built, Atlantic flights had to stop at SNN anyway, so the aircraft never departed at anything approaching MTOW. Once 10/28 was constructed, the 747s (series 100s, of course) were capable of doing US East Coast destinations non-stop. However I think they would have had difficulty carrying an economic payload from DUB to more distant destinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Qantas

Andrew the A340 was in DUB on 9th of January was only a sub for the normal 737 because of cancellation's and airport closures around that time with the snow would be great to have it as a regular;) looks like we might be loosing our only 747 of the week with Air France looking to drop the cargo only end of the business:mad:

Qantas wrote: »
    Andrew the A340 was in DUB on 9th of January was only a sub for the normal 737 because of cancellation's and airport closures around that time with the snow would be great to have it as a regular;) looks like we might be loosing our only 747 of the week with Air France looking to drop the cargo only end of the business:mad:

Don't Singapore Airlines operate a 747 freighter to DUB too? Or is that just a rare occurrence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Don't Singapore Airlines operate a 747 freighter to DUB too? Or is that just a rare occurence?

They did Sir, here are some pics i took of her! Cropped/kinda mucky due to heat haze/jet efflux.

DSCF4128.jpg

DSCF4127.jpg

DSCF4123.jpg

DSCF4120.jpg

DSCF4119.jpg

• Advertisement

Steyr wrote: »
    They did Sir, here are some pics i took of her! Cropped/kinda mucky due to heat haze/jet efflux.

Some nice pics there :) is that just a rare occurrence or are Singapore Airlines 747s a common sight at DUB?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Nice pics steyr you up at dub often?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

Some nice pics there :) is that just a rare occurrence or are Singapore Airlines 747s a common sight at DUB?
    I think the SQ cargo B747 was a daily visitor up until 5-6 years ago. The AF cargo is usually a B747 but sometimes is a B777.

There have also been a few diversions of A340 into DUB over the last 1-2 years. I personally photoed an LH A340 about a year ago.
    Well the EI B747-100s were quite different to modern B747-400s. I assume the -400s have a far max greater take off weight. (MTOW)

The B777 limitations don't mean they can't operate just that they are restricted. Less just assume the fictional B777 by 'IrishAer' has 350 seats in 3 classes with a max range of 10,000 miles. Due to the less than optimal runway at DUB the airline has to choose to operate a route that is 7000 miles with 350 pax or 10000 with a max of 250 pax. It can't use BOTH max capacity or max range. If it can make a profit using less than the max range then the B777 is still a viable aircraft for the airline to use from DUB.

andy_g wrote: »
    Nice pics steyr you up at dub often?

Not as much as id like Sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

the SQ 744F used to visit Dublin on a Wednesday and Sunday but always went from Dublin to Amsterdam before heading onward to the middle east.

At the moment an Air France 744ERF visits Dublin but departs to Paris afterwards so wouldn't be anywhere near MTOW

• Advertisement

Our American visitors in DUB:)

Dacian wrote: »
    I think the SQ cargo B747 was a daily visitor up until 5-6 years ago. The AF cargo is usually a B747 but sometimes is a B777.

There have also been a few diversions of A340 into DUB over the last 1-2 years. I personally photoed an LH A340 about a year ago.

Well the EI B747-100s were quite different to modern B747-400s. I assume the -400s have a far max greater take off weight. (MTOW)

The B777 limitations don't mean they can't operate just that they are restricted. Less just assume the fictional B777 by 'IrishAer' has 350 seats in 3 classes with a max range of 10,000 miles. Due to the less than optimal runway at DUB the airline has to choose to operate a route that is 7000 miles with 350 pax or 10000 with a max of 250 pax. It can't use BOTH max capacity or max range. If it can make a profit using less than the max range then the B777 is still a viable aircraft for the airline to use from DUB.
    APM wrote: »
    the SQ 744F used to visit Dublin on a Wednesday and Sunday but always went from Dublin to Amsterdam before heading onward to the middle east.

At the moment an Air France 744ERF visits Dublin but departs to Paris afterwards so wouldn't be anywhere near MTOW

Now I understand why 777's don't operate to DUB thanks :)

Also, are you saying SQ don't operate to DUB anymore?

Lovely pictures there. That Delta is a 767-400 right?

Also, are you saying SQ don't operate to DUB anymore?

Lovely pictures there. That Delta is a 767-400 right?[/QUOTE]

Yep no more SQ in DUB
    767-400 correct

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

It's a -300ER, -400s don't have those winglets and the fuselage isn't long enough.

Those photos are spectacular, the second AA one is so dramatic!

I hate the 767 but you put her in a lovely light in your first shot, in fact all your shots are brilliant. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

Lovely crisp clear shots. Good timing on the nose-on B757s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭aircraft tech trng

V-22.jpg

Michael_E wrote: »
    It's a -300ER, -400s don't have those winglets and the fuselage isn't long enough.

Those photos are spectacular, the second AA one is so dramatic!

Spot on my mistake should of been paying more attention
    767-332/ER REG-N185DN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

I know the quality of these is dreadful, taken from a distance of 2-3 miles but worth sharing because of the rarity. Great noise even from that distance:)
    4665853639_d149636c29.jpg
    4665853373_bc1a8fe5ec.jpg
    4666477742_d5076aa73e.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Andrew33 wrote: »
    I know the quality of these is dreadful, taken from a distance of 2-3 miles but worth sharing because of the rarity. Great noise even from that distance:)

Saw that myself the other day. Was drawn outdoors by the high pitched whine of the engine. What is it and where does/did it come from??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Saw that myself the other day. Was drawn outdoors by the high pitched whine of the engine. What is it and where does/did it come from??

Tis a Vampire!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Thanks. Doh! Now see the clue in your title! :o

Vampire T11 WZ507 "74" From the Vampire Reunion Committee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭aircraft tech trng

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Is that last one photoshopped?

Never sawe photos like that before with Mt Everest. Looks cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Hogzy wrote: »
    Is that last one photoshopped?

Never sawe photos like that before with Mt Everest. Looks cool!

that's the matterhorn!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

That last one must be photoshopped, and very poorly.

punchdrunk wrote: »
    that's the matterhorn!

Yup your right actually!
    Melion wrote: »
    That last one must be photoshopped, and very poorly.

I dunno actually, The shadows on the plane and mountain line up perfectly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Hogzy wrote: »
    Yup your right actually!

I dunno actually, The shadows on the plane and mountain line up perfectly

Why must it be photoshopped? Looks real enough to me.

• Advertisement

gatecrash wrote: »
    Why must it be photoshopped? Looks real enough to me.

I just said and you just quoted me saying "I dunno actually, the shadows line up perfectly"

Advertisement