Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[US/IRL] 3X21 - "Greatest Hits" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I liked this one and gave it an 8. It set the scene for the season finale nicely. By the end I was really hoping Charlie wouldn't die because the show wouldn't be the same without the comedy moments between him and Hurley. Good to see Vincent and Nadia too.

Why didn't Charlie and Desmond tell Jack, Sayid and the rest about Dessie's visions? Surely between them all they could have worked out a better plan.

There's definitely something odd with Desmond's latest flash all right. If Charlie doesn't get killed by the women in the station, maybe he can find some scuba-diving gear somewhere.

@logik - well spotted about where the chopper went down. Naomi's up to something all right but what is she doing with a picture of Desmond and Penny? Maybe Penny is on the ship just off the island searching for Des but there are Dharma/Others like Naomi helping her but working to their own agenda?

Jack was good in this episode as well. When he promised to blow the Others "to hell", I thought a Captain Sheridan-like hero had returned to our screens to save the day with Delenn supplying the dynamite...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

logik wrote:
    we see Desmond’s vision of the SUPPOSED helicopter crash on the Island. He sees a light in the sky and then as we seen whatever it was, crashed into the sea.

Im pretty sure that I saw a helicopter crashing into the ocean.
    They are NOT Others as we know them and may infact be members of Dharma.

I'd agree with that, if Dharma are still around they would definitely have the money for it. Plus was her flying jacket the same dharma brown colour?
    The RED beacon, the exact same beacon we seen in Season 2 and the EXACT same red beacon we seen in the sky when the SUPPOSED helicopter crashed.

Well i think i saw the helicopter crash. Helicopters normally have red beacon lights on them.

1 thing that didn't make sense - Why she was wearing a fighter pilot helmet? - Don't think Helicopter pilots wear those.

Would have been a pretty low bailout from the helicopter - could explain why she ended up in the trees.

If it had been dharma though, surely they know the effects of the island on electrical equipment and wouldn't send one of their own in, knowing they would lose the helicopter and possibly its pilot.

Also i don't think anyone heard a plane/helicopter the first time there was a supply drop, they saw the parachute. That would imply it was a high altitude drop from a plane, as they would have heard a helicopter. So why would they start using helicopters to make a supply drop?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think the strongest indicator about Naomi being a liar is her conversation with Charlie. She has been on the island for several days, and Charlie is one of the people she knows best. If there had been a huge funeral for him, with loads of publicity as she said, she'd have recognised him sooner. ESPECIALLY if she's from Manchester too. Also, she drew the information out of him before mentioning the funeral. He told her he was from Manchester, and in Drive Shaft. It'd be easy to make up the lie about the funeral then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I dunno, I'm pretty sure if I ran into rory gallagher on a desert island it'd take me a few days to figure out who he was.
    phil lynnot now you'd recognise straight off, but that's just because of the hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Also can Sayiid or Sawyer please put a bullet in Juliet's head for me?

Amen brother!

She is seriously pissing me off with her monotone voice and retardness.

I still would though. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Personally I don't think Naomi is lying. Her story and the events that have happened just fit together too well for there to be any ambiguity.
    You guys not think it a little odd that the RED light was exactly over the underwater station before we heard the crash into the sea? We know this because Charlie/Desmond/Jin/Hurley went to find the electric cable that ran into the sea and this was exactly the same spot they all seen the RED beacon.

I think this was just a landmark that was used for the vision. There is no other place on the beach, bar the Losties camp, that could be easily identified. Also I think it was used to remind the viewers the cable was there because we hadn't seen it in nearly a season and a half. Its now a very important piece in the storyline.

Even if the supplies were dropped in the ocean, how would they get that much stuff inside? I think the more likely scenario is that they have a sub or a boat or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Heh, you can see a crewmans legs just as Charlie goes after Hurley to hug him.
    http://www.imgplace.com/directory/dir2889/1179451955_1444.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Dave wrote:
    Amen brother!

She is seriously pissing me off with her monotone voice and retardness.

I still would though. :o

Dit-to! bratha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Im pretty sure that I saw a helicopter crashing into the ocean.

I'd agree with that, if Dharma are still around they would definitely have the money for it. Plus was her flying jacket the same dharma brown colour?

Well i think i saw the helicopter crash. Helicopters normally have red beacon lights on them.

1 thing that didn't make sense - Why she was wearing a fighter pilot helmet? - Don't think Helicopter pilots wear those.

Would have been a pretty low bailout from the helicopter - could explain why she ended up in the trees.

If it had been dharma though, surely they know the effects of the island on electrical equipment and wouldn't send one of their own in, knowing they would lose the helicopter and possibly its pilot.

Also i don't think anyone heard a plane/helicopter the first time there was a supply drop, they saw the parachute. That would imply it was a high altitude drop from a plane, as they would have heard a helicopter. So why would they start using helicopters to make a supply drop?

Would you have screenshots of this helicopter you saw? We saw a red beacon in the sky and splash in the sea NOTHING more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

Apapaia wrote:
    I think so too. It was a very good episode and a good build up to the finale.

The ending was fairly surprising. I didn't expect the two women to be there. According to Lostpedia their names are Bonnie and Greta. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

In the flashback where Charlie helps Nadia we see him singing Wonderwall. Is that supposed to be the same moment we see him singing it in "Flashes before your Eyes" only without Desmond in it, meaning he didn't travel back in time? or that the moment was changed? or was it a different moment? if I remember correctly it starts raining at that moment in "Flashes..." too.

And we see Rose and Bernard in an episode for the first time this season, I have a feeling that the others will get to them in the finale.

Also, I liked the way the flashbacks were done, each one being one of Charlie's greatest hits.

Yeah Bernard will get it.

Memory loss here, Nadia??? Wheres the link?

Also, is the blonde woman in the lookin glass Annie?
    I don't think so, I think she was saved in the purge but died giving birth to a child, ben's child, i.e. like his mother.
    J

JLemmon wrote:
    Yeah Bernard will get it.

Memory loss here, Nadia??? Wheres the link?

Also, is the blonde woman in the lookin glass Annie?
    I don't think so, I think she was saved in the purge but died giving birth to a child, ben's child, i.e. like his mother.
    J

It is very possible Annie died that way alright. Giving birth. There is no doubt about it, we will defo see more of her in Bens past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

To me the most interesting thing about this is Ben losing control of the Others.

Ok, Others are the natives and needed fresh blood so they got ben and a bunch of Dharma heads and recruit off Island. Maybe they were outta women. Maybe the natives have 3 toes!!! (remember the statue?) Ben nominated as the leader through his apparent connection with the island (seeing his mother). But the Leader in name only. I cant the the apparently ageless natives giving up all control. But he cant hear Jacob. Locke can. This could lead to a new leader, Locke, Ben fearing losing power, shoots him much to the annoyance of yer man (richard?) who doesn't believe the accident story.
    Finale imo, will see Locke rescued by Richard stopping Ben's attempted cull of the Losties and made new Leader. Obviously, we'll have some casualties. Bernard (because we haven't seen him in ages) and maybe Rose too.

Danielle get to meet her daughter and she in turn, turns on Ben
    bada bing bada boom.

oh yeah...I dont want charlie dead

DeadParrot wrote:
    oh yeah...I dont want charlie dead

Yeah actually, i kinda like him now and would like him to stay in the show, he is not to worst character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah Good episode solid 7, was sure Charlie was going to die, I don't like seeing any of the original losties die so happy he's still alive for now. <REMOVED> Jack was pretty ok in it Like his "lets blow them all to Hell" line. Also Alex's line about Ben "Is he really my father?" looks like a setup for her to meet Danielle next week. Also Charlies Dad what the hell kind of accent had he? Also can Sayiid or Sawyer please put a bullet in Juliet's head for me?

Snake ;)

Seriously man, thanks a f**kin lot, I do my best to avoid the spoilers, and just cuz you don't bother spoilering your post now I know something about next episode.

Modedit: Removed from quote too...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

Anyone expect Micheal and Walt storyline to re-emerge?
    Are they on Naomi's boat?????
    Jack was good last episode, first time in ages I liked him.
    Hope the finale is a massive WTF ep.
    General Question
    Who do you believe is a Native and who is a Dharma?
    Richard = Native
    Ben = Dharma
    Tom = Dharma
    Ethan = Native (freaky strength etc...)
    The rest????
    Lastly anyone hear on a recent podcast the question that producers avoided
    about jacob being an alien who was trapped on the island and possibly sick in some way ("Help me") and the natives and dharma were using his powers for their own ends. The producers said that he was not an alien but would not say anymore on the matter, it had something to do with a green lantern comic that walt had in the pilot ep.
    J

Seriously man, thanks a f**kin lot, I do my best to avoid the spoilers, and just cuz you don't bother spoilering your post now I know something about next episode.

Aye guys, can we please remember to use spoiler tags when talking about future events no matter how big or small they are. Remember not all viewers want to know about the episodes coming up in LOST.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

A few comments on posts above.

I don't think Ben can't hear Jacob - I think Jacob has the power to direct words and images of himself to whoever. It was obvious that Ben and Jacob were having a conversation.

The whole helicopter/beacon thing. I was always under the impression that there was a supply drop to each of the active stations AND the barracks. So the drop that the losties got was specifically for that hatch. We definately HEAR a helicopter, as do the losties. Naomi was found hanging from a tree with the beacon still flashing - we have to believe that she fell from the sky and that the spash was a helicopter.

I think it's interesting that this recent flash of Desmond's is kept away from the viewer. Up 'til know we were privvy to the vision. So it's possible that Desmond was lying about part of it. Des claims to have seen Charlie switch off the "jammer" so it's unlikely that the 2 girls shoot him before then. btw - how will they know if Charlie was successful or not?

I am beginning to think that Alex IS Ben's child and that the issue is around Daneille.

It's also obvious now that Ben lies constantly to his group. He pushed up the attack on the beach claiming it was Jacob's idea - not true.

Why didn't they just cut the power cable to the Looking Glass, surely that would render it useless and they would not have to swim down? I am beginning to think that there is something much more useful in teh Looking Glass than just a switch.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Hyzepher wrote:
    I don't think Ben can't hear Jacob - I think Jacob has the power to direct words and images of himself to whoever. It was obvious that Ben and Jacob were having a conversation.
    Did you mean the double negative ?
    I think it's interesting that this recent flash of Desmond's is kept away from the viewer. Up 'til know we were privvy to the vision.
    It's not the first time we haven't seen his vision. In fact we've seen fewer than not seen.
    I am beginning to think that Alex IS Ben's child and that the issue is around Daneille.
    Why? Everything leads to her not being his child.

Why didn't they just cut the power cable to the Looking Glass, surely that would render it useless and they would not have to swim down?

It's not a power cable. Cutting would priobably have no effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

What if the two women in the Looking Glass hatch came from the ship? (If there is one). Maybe they've already had a run-in with the Others or have been warned about them which is why they're so hostile.

• Advertisement

agamemnon wrote:
    What if the two women in the Looking Glass hatch came from the ship? (If there is one). Maybe they've already had a run-in with the Others or have been warned about them which is why they're so hostile.

I really think they are part of Dharma, they would have reason to be so hostile then as the Others had basicly wiped out the entire Dharma team.

if they were part of Dharma then why would they be jamming communications off the island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Well Charlie has to be rescued by Desmond and then both should die to take down the underwater station.

MMM Interest thing with Jacob and the Island...maybe the island itself is a ship that has crashed. Jacob is an Alien and is captured by Ben and the Diarma people. Maybe that black smoke thingy is trying to get Jacob back and that's why it's so hostile. it would be just the kind of stupid ending this show could have . :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

Ponster wrote:
    It's not the first time we haven't seen his vision. In fact we've seen fewer than not seen.

I think we only have seen the "future flashes" in Catch 22 which was the same series of flashes over and over again.

We didn't see Charlie get electrocuted, drown or slip on the rocks.

Either Desmond has only seen bits of the picture (as he always mentions) and doesn't know what the series of events that lead up to the drowning will be or he is lying to protect Charlie from knowing exactly how he'll die.

I'm going with the latter seeing as he was reluctant to initially tell Charlie about his latest flash.

Can't wait for the finale!

Hyzepher wrote:
    if they were part of Dharma then why would they be jamming communications off the island.

There is only one real reason why they would be jamming all signals off the Island. If the Dharma people don't want the Others to have contact with the outside world, the Others are then not able to travel to and from the Island or bring new people to it without the sub. The Others cannot call for supplies to be dropped, so medical supplies and food etc will start to become scarse. If Ben cannot prove that he can get people off the Island and people find out supplies cannot be called again, it may cause the Others to fight amongst themselves and lose their way.

Or some other unknown reason.

The Looking Glass is only jamming signals not orininating from the Flame. Bens communication only went down when the sky turned purple etc. Up to then they were able to get signals in and out.

Danielles signal has been jammed for the last 16 years

which begs the question, whats the timeframe for Dharma getting done over/danielle arriving.

So many fecking questions still havent been answered or addressed in ages.

logik wrote:
    There is only one real reason why they would be jamming all signals off the Island. If the Dharma people don't want the Others to have contact with the outside world, the Others are then not able to travel to and from the Island or bring new people to it without the sub. The Others cannot call for supplies to be dropped, so medical supplies and food etc will start to become scarse. If Ben cannot prove that he can get people off the Island and people find out supplies cannot be called again, it may cause the Others to fight amongst themselves and lose their way.

Or some other unknown reason.

It's Dharma that are blocking the signals.
    It's Dharma that own the sub.

Just because someone owns something does not mean they are the ones controling it.

I think we can agree that the original Dharma employees on the island are dead - except Ben. Juliette stated that Ben was blocking the transmissions through the Looking Glass station. Ben controls the station.

DeadParrot - Daneille arrived on the island 16 years ago (if we believe her) - looks like the purge happened before that. Given that Alex was taken as a baby and she was not present at the purge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

logik wrote:
    Aye guys, can we please remember to use spoiler tags when talking about future events no matter how big or small they are. Remember not all viewers want to know about the episodes coming up in LOST.
    Don't even use spoiler tags... just don't post it.

There's a promo thread.

Use it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

8/10.

Some very interesting theories about Naomi here. I get the impression that if anything, Penny knows all about Dharma because how else would she have known to look for Electro Magnetic Interference? Also I still wonder why Naomi wore a parachute in the helicopter because from what I could always gather, helicopter pilots never wear parachutes and instead sit in reinforced seats to protect from impact... unless she was a passenger in the helicopter and not a pilot.

I definitely think that Desmond was lying;- for one we didn't get to see any of his flashback and secondly what he did say doesn't appear to have come true at all although maybe we'll see in S04!

The rest of the episode seems to have been just setting up for the finale, a finale which will almost certainly be my most eagerly anticipated show of the year!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Anima wrote:
    ie. I'd say the women won't be too happy with him just wandering in and ****ing their home up :)

Hmm, two hot young chicks isolated in some underground base when a dead rock star pops in out of the blue... they might forgive him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Hyzepher wrote:
    I think we can agree that the original Dharma employees on the island are dead - except Ben. Juliette stated that Ben was blocking the transmissions through the Looking Glass station. Ben controls the station.

DeadParrot - Daneille arrived on the island 16 years ago (if we believe her) - looks like the purge happened before that. Given that Alex was taken as a baby and she was not present at the purge.

I assumed Daneille arrived before the purge. She arrived in 1988 and I assume the purge happened sometime in the early 1990's.
    Didn't Mikhail say something like that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I agree with cooker3, the early 90's sounds about right for the purge. The only reason to suggest earlier is to fit with Danielle's arrival and her claim of ignorance regarding Dharma. But I think she knows a lot more than she lets on.

It's possible Alex was taken in 1988 but not adopted by Ben till sometime later. Or she was adopted by Ben in 1988 and we just didn't see her during his purge flashback. It's been indicated that Ben was not the only Dharma member who sided against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

i really dont think desmond was lying, his flashback will come true in the next ep id say. just because it didnt happen at the exact moment he expected it to, doesnt mean it wont!

i stand by it, naomi is untrustworthy, because sayid is never wrong!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭rip2roar

Tenner bets the last scene will involve them getting through to Penny on the SAT Phone and saying something like "We have your friend Naomi here with us" and her going "Naomi who?"

rip2roar wrote:
    Tenner bets the last scene will involve them getting through to Penny on the SAT Phone and saying something like "We have your friend Naomi here with us" and her going "Naomi who?"

Ok. I'll take you up on that bet.

Tenner says that Naomi is 100% working for Penny and knows nothing of the Others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

If Naomi is lying about working for Penny then I don't know if she counts as an Other. They don't seem to know much about Desmond and would they even have an idea who Penny is.

Of course if she isn't on the level then there's a good chance that the story about the wreckage and bodies being found could be a complete lie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I liked this episode. Nice build up to next weeks double epsiode. I kinda knew Charlie wouldn't die, would be far to obvious.

I don't think Naomi know's about the others.

I'm still not sure about Juilette, whether or not she knew there were people in the underwater station. I'd reckon they'd have to be others as Juilette said thats where the frequency was blocked so at some point the others would have had to go down there and block it.

Was good seeing Nadia again, she hasn't been in it for awhile.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Anyone get the feeling they're all in a computer game? That hatch just reminded me a lot of Unreal Tournament. Desmond's already played all these levels and the characters have 'died' and then re-spawned in this 'island' place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

FFS people! This thread is to discuss the relevant episode of Lost, not to theorise about what is going to happen in the season finale. I have been making sure to avoid all mention of spoilers for the last episode based on all the good press the episode has been getting, and don't want to come across any here!

FFS people! This thread is to discuss the relevant episode of Lost, not to theorise about what is going to happen in the season finale. I have been making sure to avoid all mention of spoilers for the last episode based on all the good press the episode has been getting, and don't want to come across any here!

Err, what are you talking about? The point of any Lost thread is to talk about the episode and try to guess what'll happen next week.

Where the 'spoiling' in that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

anotherlostie, no problems with people talking about what they think may happen next week and in the rest of the series, the point of discussing it is to talk about the episode and the impact it has/will have on the series.

I've already removed a couple of posts that outright spoil next week from this thread by people who've watched the promos.

There's a difference between watching the promos and talking about it and just guessing based on previous info.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As a build-up episode was quite decent alright. Nothing spectacular (all though it was extremely tense for a while around the half way mark).

Liked the 'greatest hits' line, even if it was a bit corny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Anyone get the feeling they're all in a computer game? That hatch just reminded me a lot of Unreal Tournament. Desmond's already played all these levels and the characters have 'died' and then re-spawned in this 'island' place.

Nope. I'm pretty sure nobody else has got that feeling. You are most definitely alone in that one. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Am i the only one who heard Ben saying Jacob needs the pregnant women now, when he is telling the others they need to go for them now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

jor el wrote:

The scene with Charlie playing in the rain is the same as Desmond's future/past flashback thing in episode 3x08 but Charlie is wearing different clothes and the people around are different. Same song, same location, but no Desmond or some other people and also it starts raining before he finishes the song this time.

I know its not really relevant, but the chances are that Charlie sung in the street more than once, and most likely in the same place.
    This is why his clothes are different. And no desmond, and he doesn't finish the song.
    It the american view of rainy england.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Was anyone watching on Sky tonight who had already seen it online? Did they leave out a scene? I was pretty sure that the episode began with Karl pushing the boat of The Others beach and then we went back to that scene later, whereas on Sky tonight, they began with Jack leading the others to the dynamite tree, which was the second scene I do believe. Am I mistaken?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Was anyone watching on Sky tonight who had already seen it online? Did they leave out a scene? I was pretty sure that the episode began with Karl pushing the boat of The Others beach and then we went back to that scene later, whereas on Sky tonight, they began with Jack leading the others to the dynamite tree, which was the second scene I do believe. Am I mistaken?
    Yeah that's right, Karl running through the jungle and pushing the boat out was the first scene. I guess Sky wanted more time for ads :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
Advertisement