Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

brian cowen inhales! [Merged]

Options
  • 17-05-2007 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

just saw on the news cowen joins baraq obama on the admission of smoking cannabis when he was young and unlike clinton he inhaled! any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

How did this come to light? Mud slinging by FG?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

I wish he would have a smoke. He's like the pissed-up GAA bore in the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Orly???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

he said it in an interview with hotpress apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

you got a link? google not throwing anything up

• Advertisement

no i was lookin for one as well it was on news on 2 after primetime i think. you'll hear it tomorrow no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Now we know why he never put up the tax on the Rizla papers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Who the hell cares any more about whether people have had a smoke? I'm sure he said something to the effect that he was offered a joint on one occaison and didn't find it all that effective, not more than alcohol anyways. What I'm surprised at is that weed was available in this country when he was young.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm sure something like this came up about Ruari Quinn I few years back. At least I think it was Quinn. Who cares...water under the bridge....youthful experimentation and all that ****e Gerry Ryan goes on about...he's hardly a smack addict...although the circumstances under which the drug is used these days would more easily lead that way, but not always!

covered all bases there I think:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

he should smoke more as far as im concerned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Must be Fianna Fail reaching for the youth vote. Seriously who the fupp cares tbh. Oh know he smoked some pot.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

ninty9er wrote:
    I'm sure something like this came up about Ruari Quinn I few years back. At least I think it was Quinn. Who cares...water under the bridge....youthful experimentation and all that ****e Gerry Ryan goes on about...he's hardly a smack addict...although the circumstances under which the drug is used these days would more easily lead that way, but not always!

covered all bases there I think:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wasn't that a Christy Moore song?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

canabis ha cameron laughs at canabis

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

FFS so what if he did it when he was young. That doesn't effect what he does now, unless it was the size of a tree trunk.

I actually like Cowen he seems to represent the decent side of FF, not the cute hoor side that Revlon Man does.

it seems to have caused a stir in other countries though. i dont care either but some old fashioned catholic conservatives might?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

A complete non-story. I'm sure if you asked most of the Dail, they'd blush and look guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

A complete non-story. I'm sure if you asked most of the Dail, they'd blush and look guilty.

Sure diddn't they find traces of colombian marching powder in the Dail toilets, :o

Non story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is in todays indo. Now it's a story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

This is obviously going to get the small minded "older generation" into a frenzy. I say fair play to Cowen for telling the interviewer about it. In this day and age smoking cannabis to some people is like going for a pint. The mind boggles as to why it hasn't been legalised yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

DarkJager wrote:
    This is obviously going to get the small minded "older generation" into a frenzy. I say fair play to Cowen for telling the interviewer about it. In this day and age smoking cannabis to some people is like going for a pint. The mind boggles as to why it hasn't been legalised yet.
    I would have thought he knew full well what he was saying and reckoned that it would do him a lot more good than harm. I imagine the majority of the 40yo's and under have, if not actually tried smoking, certainly been present when it's been smoked, so they're hardly too bothered.
    Cowen is undoubtedly one of the better ministers, he even seems to understand economics, unlike that bull****ter in charge, i thought the way he pulled the rug from under Cowen re stamp duty was disgusting - it's easy to see why he did it now though. Sindo campaign for months about reducing stamp duty (why, i'm not actually sure), Cowen adamant that no changes will be made (admirably), Bert hears he's going to be in bother when the latest tribunal stuff comes out, runs to Sindo, says, lads, give me sympathetic coverage and I'll do the following, I'll announce the date of the election to you first, I'll give you an exclusive interview on the day the election is called, I'll give you first dibs on any explanations I might be required to give during the campaign (as long as it's a soft, sympathetic interview, with no probing questions) and best of all, I'll take away stamp duty for FTB's!!
    It's truly great living in a nation where the populist press provide the government's agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

DarkJager wrote:
    Yeah, who knows, we might even have a grown up debate about why prohibition has never known success.

DarkJager wrote:

He obviously said it because it was hotpress and he was trying to "get down with the younger voters" this statement has no real meaning.

He was asked, he didn't volunteer the fact, and he was honest. This will only matter to those who are angered by this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

I'm not a fan of the current government.

However i must give credit to Cowan for admitting it.

Its a complete non-issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Just having a glimpse over the papers at lunch time, and as usual some of the papers have it splashed across their front page. "Spliffo Biffo" is the headline on one of them. How imaginative and grown up.... Is there no other news story worthy of the front page?

Agent J wrote:

However i must give credit to Cowan for admitting it.

Its a complete non-issue.

If its a non-issue then why does he deserve credit for admitting it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

drugs_are_bad_mmmkay.gif

If its a non-issue then why does he deserve credit for admitting it?
    I think what everyone means is that while there is a certain stygma around admitting this, particularly if a party is anti-drugs, it won't affect how people vote, and Cowen should not be penalised for it. So it was brave for Cowen to admit it, but it really doesn't matter in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Haha Cowen the big stoner! :D

complete non-runner of a ''story'' btw

Advertisement