Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

brian cowen inhales! [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

As mentioned already, FF political ploy to appeal to the youth vote, the "I suddenly like him more now since he admitted it " syndrome....

How long before we see the t-shirts with Cowens head where that rasta guy used to be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ruairi Quinn was on Newstalk earlier and he admitted to "having a taste" (his stoner language, not mine, lol) -- but he never inhaled ;) Willy O'Dea and Brian Lenihan denied using it. Willy had an elaborate story about being at a party and being "under the influence of alcohol" (his words) and someone offering him a smoke, which he took, thinking it was a dooby. But he met the person again years later, and the topic came up again for some reason :confused:, and the person who gave him the supposed doob-linger, revealed to the Minister that it was in fact an ordinary cigarette. Willy ODea, you see, was so unfamiliar with ordinary cigarettes that he spent years thinking that he had actually had a joint, when in actual fact it was merely tobacco!

That's the actual story he gave :confused:

I'll bet they all pass a bong around the cabinet table :p That'd explain some of the decisions they make :rolleyes:

Incidentally, there was a priest from the Merchants Quay drug centre on Newstalk, and he suggested that marijuana should be decriminalised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Agent J wrote:
    I'm not a fan of the current government.

However i must give credit to Cowan for admitting it.

Its a complete non-issue.

agreed, anyone who says this will influence their vote has been out in the sun for too long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

Bond-007 wrote:
    How did this come to light? Mud slinging by FG?

why do people automaticallt assume FG were responsible for something like this BIFFO admitted this himself when interviewed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭AidoCQS

I am genuinely suspicious of how much of an EXPOSE this artical was.

There are Rumours abroad in North Kerry that Ferris drove into that checkpoint after just supping the first glass of the night - I mean the man is not a fool, he was the only one caught drink driving that night, all of Artfert knew the checkpoint was in place, remember that this is a man who excelled and got well promoted in a game that does not forgive errors. So why would M. Ferris drive into a checkpoint with only a glass of Guinness in his system?

A. Free publicity, you cannot buy that kinda publicity at a time like this.

Methinks Spliffo is doing a bit of the same, I mean its not doing any of them any harm is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Fair play toCowen for coming clean.
    In my opinion, this will only help his election campaign.
    Anybod who is outraged needs to cop on. I'm not saying what he did wasnt wrong but at times boys will be boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭28064212

AidoCQS wrote:
    I am genuinely suspicious of how much of an EXPOSE this artical was.

There are Rumours abroad in North Kerry that Ferris drove into that checkpoint after just supping the first glass of the night - I mean the man is not a fool, he was the only one caught drink driving that night, all of Artfert knew the checkpoint was in place, remember that this is a man who excelled and got well promoted in a game that does not forgive errors. So why would M. Ferris drive into a checkpoint with only a glass of Guinness in his system?

A. Free publicity, you cannot buy that kinda publicity at a time like this.

Methinks Spliffo is doing a bit of the same, I mean its not doing any of them any harm is it?
    It wasn't an exposé and was never presented as such. The article is part of a series on what was supposed to be interviews with the party leaders (although apparently Ahern doesn't want to do it). They asked Kenny the same question in the previous issue

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

darkman2 wrote:
    Must be Fianna Fail reaching for the youth vote. Seriously who the fupp cares tbh. Oh know he smoked some pot.....:rolleyes:

And did he get rehabilated ?
    Is he now been sheltered with Dick and Martin?

I am not allowed discuss …

28064212 wrote:
    They asked Kenny the same question in the previous issue

No wonder he prefers VIP interviews now.

Its a total non issue. Still seems strange to mention it the week before an election though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Glenbhoy wrote:
    Yeah, who knows, we might even have a grown up debate about why prohibition has never known success.
    Yeah, I never wear my seatbelt either.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Willie O'Dea was asked if he experimented with drugs he denied it today but apparently told the Limerick Leader a few years ago he try it out.

Now tbh I think the question they should have asked is who experimented on him :D

But seriously this is a non issue, its way back in Biffo's past and he doesn't look like a junkie to me. BTW Conor Biffo volunteered this info to Hot Press, maybe he was trying to look hip and show he is down with the youngsters ;)

AidoCQS wrote:
    Spliffo

:D

gandalf wrote:
    Now tbh I think the question they should have asked is who experimented on him

:D
    gandalf wrote:
    BTW Conor Biffo volunteered this info to Hot Press, maybe he was trying to look hip and show he is down with the youngsters ;)

Oh I know it was he who volunteered the info. Just seems a bit strange before an election, sort of unncessary. Might say something (small) about his judgement. Think it was a poor call, albeit trivial.

Conor I doubt it will have any effect at all, Cowen will fly in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

The worst thing about this story is that I was laughing about it when it came up on TV3 news earlier, saying it was a non-story and no big deal. Which of course led to the inevitable question from my mother... 'Have you ever tried it?' Should have seen that one coming.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

FFS anyone thinking this is a 'story' must be mentally imbalanced or insane. How many of us have smoked pot? - all of us:D ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Senator

The Irish Times online today are running a poll on whether people are bothered by Brian Cowen's admission that he puffed marijuana as a student in the 1970s. So far 78% say it doesn't matter.

I was a student at Trinity in the 70s and smoking dope WAS a big issue back then; in fact if you were caught doing it in College rooms you could be expelled. But Cowen makes out we were all at it, that it was the done studenty thing. It wasn't, it was for saddoes and some went on experiment with heavier drugs and messed up their lives completely. Cowen is trying to trivialise his law-breaking.

Mind you, when you look at Cowen now it explains a lot. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

*yawn*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

So he smoke a joint 30 years ago? What's your point?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Non-moment of the campaign.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Never gone near the stuff myself, but if he did some silly things as a kid I don't think it matters.

But it does make him a hypocrite, because it's not compatible with FF's drug policy. You can be sure if it was a Labour or Green politician who had admitted this that the FF PR machine would have been all over them like a rash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

You can be sure if it was a Labour or Green politician who had admitted this that the FF PR machine would have been all over them like a rash.

Doubt it. There would only be political capital to be made if people cared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

But it does make him a hypocrite, because it's not compatible with FF's drug policy. You can be sure if it was a Labour or Green politician who had admitted this that the FF PR machine would have been all over them like a rash.

I don't think so. It would make him a hypocrite if he was dishonest about it and went along the party stance. I think it's good that he decided to stand up to the sensationalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Never gone near the stuff myself, but if he did some silly things as a kid I don't think it matters.

i doubt it. I remember Eamon Ryan (GP) admitting it before and no one really cared

Senator wrote:
    I was a student at Trinity in the 70s and smoking dope WAS a big issue back then; in fact if you were caught doing it in College rooms you could be expelled. But Cowen makes out we were all at it, that it was the done studenty thing

I'd be more concerned about what Harney was up to in Trinity than Cowen tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i heard a pretty nasty story about her and a pool table....:eek:

Lads please check and see if a thread already exists for the topic you want to post about.

This was on the 2nd page. If it was on the first I would have banned you Senator. We want one thread per topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

I heard a funny one today in relations to this.

Someone phoned in todayfm apparently and said referring to Cowens beautifull torso :

Now that we know the longterm effects of this,let it be a lesson to us all to stay away :D

Advertisement