Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O2 & Hsdpa

• 17-05-2007 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Anyone know how much of O2's 3G sites are actually converted to HSDPA?

I reckon a large proportion of Dublin is now 3G on O2 (at least if the indicator on my phone is to be believed) but I have no HSDPA phone to check if the speeds are up towards the magical 3 mbps direction.... anyone on 02 have an N95 or some other HSDPA phone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

O2's network is mostly 3.6 Mbps at this point, I think. Or at the very least, it will be 'very soon now'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

not sure as to the extent of it, however it is at 3.6mbps on the SJR Quay mast ( whether thats just for testing or its standard im not aware of ).

3G coverage is extensive in all the major cities, but as to the degree of HSDPA-enablement, just have to wait and see :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

I presume they will do what vodafone did and initially start with major population centres, i.e. dublin,cork,galway waterford, though with a planned launch for the summer i'm sure this is already done.

So next it would be the bigger towns, drogheda, naas etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

O2's network is mostly 3.6 Mbps at this point, I think. Or at the very least, it will be 'very soon now'.

At €1 per mb it's a quick way to lighten your bank account...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

At €1 per mb it's a quick way to lighten your bank account...

A euro a mb. What a bunch of thievin b@stards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭dubal

hmmm! compared to 5.99 for 100mb from three!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster

I'm on the 2GB for €40 + vat Data tariff to get around that. Speed on standard 3G is severely trying my patience though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

I have a Htc TYTN,

Have noticed HSDPA within Dundalk alternating with 3G.

Along the M50 aswell I receive a pretty strong signal and also got it in Waterford last week within the city itself.

I am limited to 1.5MB speed on my phone but is pretty quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Flankerb

Hi Flying,
    Is there an icon for hsdpa? I the vodafone version of the tytn and have never seen it change from 3g.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

I have the WM6 ROM on board and changes from 3G to H within area's where both are and G where neither is.

You should Sim and CID Unlock your TYTN and then apply an WM6 ROM.

Goto here :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=254

But my Advice is to read the Wiki First then follow all the steps to upgrade the bootloader etc.

Also take note of all the Vodafone settings Wap/Web/MMS

as they will have to be entered manually once to enable them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Flankerb

cheers flying thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster

There was some talk in the supplement to the Sunday Business Post that O2 will launch their HSDPA service in early July. Think it came directly from O2 themselves . Anyone heard anything about this?

Guess they'll have to price competitively now that 3 have upped the ante :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭billbond4

Asked in O2 shop at the weekend, and she said it will probably be the end of summer/ september.
    She said they were supposed to be sent on training courses early in the year, but they still havent been sent on them

Training Courses are occurring already, and i believe i have already hinted at a possible window for the launch date recently lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

Launch is sceduled for early summer, no doubt this will be delayed so realistically it will be september i'd say if not later.

gotta love the irish telecoms market lol, although the K3m is looking very nice up here at the moment, especially with its HSDPA :-) :-)

Advertisement