Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humour now against forum rules

Options
  • 17-05-2007 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

I made a harmless joke (and made it clear it was a joke) before making a serious reply. I think the Moderator is completely over the top in banning me for 1 month and he failed to quote the rule that was broken. At the very least if a specific rule is said to have been broken by a Mod the banned user can avoid making the same mistake twice.

Seems to me that the less the authority you give to some people the more zealous and petty they are in using it.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53244513#post53244513
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Did you pm the mod?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭liamdubh

Yes I did. But if the Mod took is banning for genuine reasons, and not because of some power-trip (in my experience a significant number of Mods have gone literally insane with banning people - reminds me of that Peep Show bit where they all threatened to section each other), then he/she should quote the rule that was broken.

TBH, I would have banned you for that too. It condones violence towards animals and doesn't contribute much to the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

liamdubh wrote:
    Yes I did. But if the Mod took is banning for genuine reasons, and not because of some power-trip (in my experience a significant number of Mods have gone literally insane with banning people - reminds me of that Peep Show bit where they all threatened to section each other), then he/she should quote the rule that was broken.
    In your experience? You only joined the site 2 days ago.

Personally I don't think a ban is necessary a warning should have been enough... it's not a particularly funny joke though and I hate dogs....

I don't mean to be a smart ass, but I think it would be helpful at this point to look closely at the meaning of the word "joke":

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/joke

It's that simple. It was a joke. I made it clear it was a joke and that I was a dog lover/owner.

• Advertisement

In your experience? You only joined the site 2 days ago.

Personally I don't think a ban is necessary a warning should have been enough... it's not a particularly funny joke though and I hate dogs....

A joke not being funny isn't a banning offence. And I've been reading boards.ie for years, just never bothered posting. Thankfully there are plenty of smart people around who always make the same points I would make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You know, I would agree that it's very clearly a joke, and it's obvious that you don't condone such action, especially when you go on to give genuine advice.

But you really have to ask yourself, is all this "OMG, OTT powertripping petty zealous mods gone insane!1!!" bullcrap helping your arguement at all?

As I see it though, some boards are more serious than others, and while your joke was clearly as such, perhaps it's not appropriate for that particular board. I mean, you can get away with a lot more on After Hours than you could on Politics, for example.

Yes you're right. It probably doesn't help but in my opinion there are unreasonable Mods and reasonable Mods. The reasonable Mods would recognise there are is a serious problem on boards.ie with over-zealous Mods ready to hand-out bans or even lifetime bans on a whim. The reasonable Mods, if they didn't like my post, would have given me a warning. And the zealots are no reflection on those who are reasonable and judicious in their role as a Mod.

fightforjustice-kittydemedici.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

A bit over the top in my mind. in all fairness, a regular poster on said forum most likely would've gotten away with it. new poster got a hard rap in my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

liamdubh wrote:
    in my experience a significant number of Mods have gone literally insane with banning people
    Literally?

There is a God!

I can do without posting to that forum for 1 month, undoubtedly this particular Mod (Victor) will never change his mind, but I think boards.ie would run a lot smoother if Mods didn't ban people on a whim and at least gave people warning, as policy. Banning in what seems to be an arbitrary way creates ill-feeling and a culture of disrespect towards moderators in my opinion. A "2/3 strikes and your out" policy would work much better. Then nobody could ever complain about being banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

There was me thinking I was getting my first thread in FB. Got my hopes up for nothing :(

/strokes me cherry

Ibid wrote:
    Literally?

Yes. I've seen some crazy banning decisions. I'd genuinely wonder about the frame of mind of the person doing the banning at the time. All sense of reason, logic and fairness is gone. They become temporarily insane sitting in front of a keyboard imo.

All power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely....

(okay, maybe not clinically insane, but if their behaviour banning people was repeated in real life, yes)

liamdubh wrote:
    undoubtedly this particular Mod (Victor) will never change his mind

Did you ask him? Did you say to him, sorry man, it was only a joke. Or are you making assumptions and coming along with baseless accussations about abuse of power?

Maybe he just saw the initial part of the comment, and banned you because of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

liamdubh wrote:
    They become temporarily insane sitting in front of a keyboard imo.
    01.gif

Did you ask him? Did you say to him, sorry man, it was only a joke. Or are you making assumptions and coming along with baseless accussations about abuse of power?

Maybe he just saw the initial part of the comment, and banned you because of that?

I've PM'ed him, only a few minutes ago so he hasn't replied. 1 month ban from an obscure board isn't a big deal, I was just annoyed with the fact I was banned.

His PM to me said:

" Joke
    Banned. 1 month."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Kick one of the dogs to death. Send out a message.
    (joke, I love dogs, just explain your situation, it's unreasonable, if my dogs bark late while they're out the back I'd bring them back in immediately)
    If this is what you were banned for, Logic and Reason seem to have left the building with Humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

liamdubh wrote:
    I've PM'ed him, only a few minutes ago so he hasn't replied.
    You pm'ed him a few mins ago and he hasn't gotten back!! A disgrace, he should be defrocked of all his mod powers immediately....and permanently site banned.

If "literally insane" doesn't mean "clinically insane", I'm not sure what meaning of the word you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

cast_iron wrote:

If "literally insane" doesn't mean "clinically insane", I'm not sure what meaning of the word you want.

NO medical advice !!!!! :D

OP, it does seem ott, obviously said tongue in cheek, and even writen at the end for those who dont get subtle humour.........

cast_iron wrote:
    You pm'ed him a few mins ago and he hasn't gotten back!! A disgrace, he should be defrocked of all his mod powers immediately....and permanently site banned.

Nah, kick him to death as a message to all other powertripping mods!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I hope you are joking about that Karl :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Rabies wrote:
    I hope you are joking about that Karl :eek:
    Does that matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Nobody wins in Feedback. Nobody.

I win; along with the rest of the onlookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

feylya wrote:

in_ur_reality.png

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ban is warranted but 1 month is harsh, a week would be more appropriate.

OP interested in your choice of language thought, you sound like you have been on this site alot longer than a couple of days. Is this your first account on Boards.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I made a harmless joke (and made it clear it was a joke) before making a serious reply.
    No you didn't. This is your post, including space lines to make the first comment look real.
    Take your ban and learn from it.
    A good kicking
    Kick one of the dogs to death. Send out a message.

(joke, I love dogs, just explain your situation, it's unreasonable, if my dogs bark late while they're out the back I'd bring them back in immediately)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

It's like the way people abuse others then add no offense at the end

The question here is, "Is it ok to make a retarded comment if I acknowledge that it is, in fact, reatarded".

Answer on a post card.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

liamdubh wrote:
    A joke not being funny isn't a banning offence. And I've been reading boards.ie for years, just never bothered posting. Thankfully there are plenty of smart people around who always make the same points I would make.
    You said "humour" in the thread title. By definition, humour has to be funny. So what is your complaint, then?
    liamdubh wrote:
    All power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely....
    If you mean, "power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely", then you have again minced your words:
    Seems to me that the less the authority you give to some people the more zealous and petty they are in using it.
    I'm having trouble reconciling the conflicting phrasiology you are using. I can't see my way through to what your complaint actually is.

However, I'll try to assess it: (i) is it that you feel hard done by because people are given what you term "power" and you are not? (ii) or, is it that a particular instance represents an abuse of "power"; (iii) or, is it that you feel any grant of "power" necessarily leads to an abuse of it?

Advertisement