Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obama - Irish - joke?

Options
  • 17-05-2007 1:03am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=2819588n&channel=i_video

I saw this on the CBS news tonight so the Americans know now about this questionable link I would have thought. Does the fact a Presidential candidate may be Irish make any difference at all to their hopes of election? My personal opinion is that is does not and we tend to overstate its importance. I dont think it has much, if any, importance. Would appreciate any American poster's views on this........Roo?:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I'm not American and I'm not even allowed vote here so it makes no difference to me. :) I don't see what difference it makes all the same and haven't seen it on any news channels here. Load of codswallop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Ruu wrote:
    I'm not American and I'm not even allowed vote here so it makes no difference to me. :) I don't see what difference it makes all the same and haven't seen it on any news channels here.

the priest looked like an idiot, they didn't go into the possible lineage, just lots of partonising american cliches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6617779.stm

It's good to think they have roots here, but I doubt it's important to their voters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Well there is a pretty big population in America that have Irish roots, and the Catholic Irish bit will offset the muslim terrorist flak he's had to take. Although as I always point out with Obama, this means nothing until he's confirmed as a running Presidential candidate. Til then he's just a great big media circus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

CoNfOuNd wrote:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6617779.stm

It's good to think they have roots here, but I doubt it's important to their voters.

did you hear limbaugh played a song called obama the maigc negro and suggested he wasn't a proper african-american... is that cos he 's halfcast and only second gen?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I thought all American presidential candidates had to be part-Irish by law.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mike65 wrote:
    I thought all American presidential candidates had to be part-Irish by law.
    Apparently Reagan went out of his way to hide his Irish connections for fear it would offend WASP voters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

In fairness, if people know about male genetic inheritance, it is unlikely that he has any genetic Irish link.

I mean the Y gene is inherited from Father, grandfather, great-grandfather,
    who I assume are all african.

He would get his X gene from his mother, which is either her own mother's or her fathers mohter's. So unless all the mother's and grandmothers and greatgrandmothers were Irish, then he may not have inherited and irish X gene.

Didn't we come from europe, and originally from Africa anyway.

Advertisement