Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you expect?

Options
  • 17-05-2007 5:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭

To cut a long story short, i received a good tip for the horsies and was unable to place the bet at the time, I asked a friend to place the bet on my behalf.

The horse came in however when my m8 checked his account. It did not appear that the bet was infact placed.

Earlier in the day it was confirmed to me over msn that the bet was placed.

No money was handed over but the friend in question did owe me a sum of money which easily covered this wager.

After i discovered that the bet was not correctly placed, I said very little and my friend approached me saying "that;s why he does not like placing bets for other people but that he would pay out on it as it was his error"

Aside from the always place your own bets comments, has this ever arisen with a friend and what was concluded in the end?

Since saying that he was going to pay out (I asked for nothing or made no mention of money) he then talked with other friends who felt the following.......as no money was handed over he should not have to pay out on it. Naturally he agrees with this :D

The money is no longer even the issue for me.

Personally what bugs me the most is having asked for nothing he himself then offered to payout and then did a uturn having discussed this with other people who have no business in this matter.

What are people's thoughts on this situation?

I've learned my lesson :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

What was the sum of money involved? Not the original wager but the returns?

Personally.. I'd ask him to show me his account history so you can confirm it, if he did not place it then he will have nothing to hide and should show you, if he does this then I would not expect nor ask him to pay out on the bet. (I would ask for the money he owes you though!)

If he will not show you then I suspect he wants to keep the winnings for himself, or, he has already spent the winnings and can not give them to you! If either of them is the case then I would suggest he pays you off so to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

the sum is irrelevant as is the issue of trust, there is none.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Well as you said, he did confirm the bet was placed so he should be paying you your money at this stage. The reason I asked what the returns were is because if it was a larger sum of money then the temptation to keep it/spend it and tell you the bet was not placed is larger.

If it is just the issue of trust now then I would definitely ask him to show you his account history to see if he is telling the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

This is why you should never ask anyone to place a bet for you , or please a bet for someone....

I presume he was only doing this as a favor ? if so, I can't see how you can expect him to pay out...

on the other hand if he was getting something out of it ,then he should pay up...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Totally agree with the above. Place your own bets in the future.

If you asked him to place it and he didn't then that's it - issue closed. No money should change hands.

It's a valuable lesson learned at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

I will never ever place a bet for anybody except me ma cause she's grand.

This was a free bet for your knob of a friend and i'l tell you why.

He places the bet. Lets say 20euro that you asked him to do but cutely doesnt put a penny on himself. If it loses he just gets the 20 off you and end of but when it won, well you can work out the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭liamdubh

I think that should be a lesson learned. Never go to that friend again for the same thing. Poor form from your friend in my opinion. It's not that hard to put a bet down and if he agreed to pay he should pay. But you can't do anything about it. The very odd time I would put a bet down for somebody, I'd have them on the phone or in front of the screen as I'm doing it quoting them the price and amount matched and their profit/liability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Big Lebowski

Good afternoon all,

I am the "knob" friend as so eloquently pointed out by Dun laoire (perhaps you should learn not to judge a book by it's cover my friend)

I want to make a few things clear on this issue. At no point did I ever consider not paying out on this bet, not ever. I have enjoyed sports betting for years, albeit with limited success, but I have always and will always stand by the "gentleman's" rules which apply when taking bets. As the fella says, you can put my word in the bank.

I indeed offered to honour the bet and shortly afterwards arrived in my workplace. Amongst my colleagues there are numerous sports betters, with varying levels of success, and I mentioned the situation to them while also saying I would honour the bet (I made this point clear from the beginning) Over the course of the next half an hour or so it appeared everyone had an opinion on the matter and the clear majority felt there was no case to argue and that the bet was void. To which I again stated I would settle the bet.

I met with my "friend" later on that evening. I again apologised for not making the bet (the reason for which is still under investigation with the betting site, I had made bets with them before and followed the same process however if I made a mistake then I hold my hands up and take full responsibility) I then proceeded to inform him of the general staff opinion on the matter, however, I NEVER said I would not pay out on the bet. My exact words were "we will sort something out" - meaning, annoyed as I was I never considered not paying the bet.

Last night I withdrew the winnings and monies owed and should receipts/time stamps or screen shots be required of my account information on the day in question, I will gladly supply to prove to my innocence to anyone who thinks I would even consider putting that bet on and claiming it was void once the horse won. Never in my life would I ever consider doing something of this nature, and although it may have seemed like a logical response from the poster, believe me it does not make it any easier to read. I am sickened that my integrity has been called into question on this matter, he tells what he wants to tell and leaves the rest open for wild speculation and I am supposed to just sit back and read it?

The moral of this story is that a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing, especially when put into the wrong hands.

So I have settled the bet, as was always my intention and that is the matter closed. As is my friendship with the creator of this thread.

Thank you.

BL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭liamdubh

So I have settled the bet, as was always my intention and that is the matter closed. As is my friendship with the creator of this thread.

You're no longer friends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think the op is in the wrong.

Obviously, never get a mate to place a bet, but if you do just accept it if he makes a mistake or betting company shaft him.

If i was the op i wouldnt let my friend pay me the winnings out his own pocket. It was my fault i didnt place the bet myself so i shouldnt be crying like a girl. Just buy me a pint in the pub to make up for it or something.

If i was the one that was supposed to place the bet i would offer to pay for it as a gesture, but i'd be fairly pissed off if he didnt immediatly tell me its grand and not too bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I think the op is in the wrong.

Obviously, never get a mate to place a bet, but if you do just accept it if he makes a mistake or betting company shaft him.

If i was the op i wouldnt let my friend pay me the winnings out his own pocket. It was my fault i didnt place the bet myself so i shouldnt be crying like a girl. Just buy me a pint in the pub to make up for it or something.

If i was the one that was supposed to place the bet i would offer to pay for it as a gesture, but i'd be fairly pissed off if he didnt immediatly tell me its grand and not too bother.
    Agree with all of this. I'd be annoyed with the mate for costing me the winnings but I'd get over it.

A pint would be perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

If both of the protagonists are serious sports bettors then the bet should be paid up at least partially. It's different with small time causal bettors guys, it just is. For example you would never casually ask a friend for a large sum of money as a loan, but with serious professionally acting sports bettors or poker players it is different, and different codes of conduct apply.

It's a shame that it has become unpleasant become friends, although the op didn't name names, it probably shouldn't have been aired here. I advise making up :)

hotspur wrote:
    If both of the protagonists are serious sports bettors then the bet should be paid up at least partially. It's different with small time causal bettors guys, it just is. For example you would never casually ask a friend for a large sum of money as a loan, but with serious professionally acting sports bettors or poker players it is different, and different codes of conduct apply.

When the OP comes on and says that the some of the money isnt the issue it doesnt matter how serious either person is betting wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭rag2gar

This is an unfortunate situation but money will always change people. More people have fallen out over money than any other reason known to man it appears. Hopefully you can make up

Fistly.

I will quote myself once more. "the sum is irrelevant as is the issue of trust, there is none."

Meaning, I trust that what he says is for face value. there is no issue of trust or mistrust. I would not refer to him as a friend if that was the case.

Crying? I merely posted to get peoples opinions, never in this post did i say I expected him to pay up. Thanks have a nice day sir. sounds like its been going well so far....

Once again I will quote myself.

"Aside from the always place your own bets comments, has this ever arisen with a friend and what was concluded in the end?"

I asked a question, has anyone ever encountered this situation, obviously by the replies that is a no.

I will quote myself for the third time.
    I've learned my lesson

Everyone has entirely missed the point of this thread, at no point did I ask for money or expect it, last night when we met and he started to bring up the point of no money changing hands I simply stated that I was not going to get into an argument over this, it's only money after all.

The reason he should not pay out has been clearly posted by everyone, he's a m8 and we both lost out.

However to bring into question the fact that that no money exchanged hands is just a silly excuse, a simple I should not payout because the bet was not placed and im a m8 would suffice as has been pointed out by everyone on this thread.

It's funny Jeff, how you got so upset when I wanted someone else's opinion, yet you expected me to accept and acknowledge two other peoples opinions on the matter.

The general consensus here is that you should not pay up and I agree, but not for the reasons you have stated.

Thanks for all the replies.

Samba

As soon as you found out he was willing to pay for it himself why not ring him up and tell him its grand?

As soon as you found out he was willing to pay for it himself why not ring him up and tell him its grand?

we spoke face to face and in response to his offer i said somthing to the effect, screw that. I was simply annoyed with myself for not placing the bet and naturally with him having had the bet confirmed to me.

Thank you for your comments Chucky.
    A pint would be perfect

This sounds like the best solution.

hotspur wrote:
    If both of the protagonists are serious sports bettors then the bet should be paid up at least partially
    If he was a serious sports bettor, he'd never been in a position not to make the bet (phone, internet etc etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Firstly i'd like to apologise to BL, it's just something that i would do. I'm an asshole like that.

Secondly. Samba shame on you for not posting up this tip.

Dun laoire wrote:
    Secondly. Samba shame on you for not posting up this tip.
    :D Or at leaast getting someone else to do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ian.f

If this happened to me I wouldn't expect settlement but I would think that the friend was pulling a complete sly one on me...

Here's the real question . If the bet had lost would the friend have said " oh by the way that bet didn't go through so I still owe you that money"

If i was a cynical b*stard I'd say he didn't put the bet on intentionally chancing his arm that it would lose..

On the other hand get a life, its just a bet, not worth losing a friend over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Like a load of women. Always place your own bets, can't say anything in this thread is more relevant than that lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Bernard Hopkins

Big Lebowski ,...... what are you like making a big entrance like that,..." Good Evening all" ???

so you "caught" ur old mate posting a question here about the situation. big deal.

if you cant see any validity in his point , then you really are not much of a mate anyway.

you both have points, but if somebody told me they were going to charge me for a placed bet, then when it won , "discovered" it wasnt actually placed AT ALL,...... i too would be suspicious.

thing is,........ if the bet lost would you have kept your mouth shut ?... or would you be on the phone to tell him , that he never lost at all cause the bet never went down ?..... and whatever money you previously owed him, you still owe him , as the stake never got placed ?

you acting like a pratt here tbh,..... bet you're a right old workplace bully,... getting the lads in on it behind samba's back.

i'd choke on ur millions , if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Can someone lock this idiotic thread?

As much as I dislike your tone Bateman :) I would have to agree lock this silly thread please mods.

It's reached its course

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement