Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reprime boiler

Options
  • 17-05-2007 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

I have a boiler and we ran out of heating oil by mistake. But now the boiler wont fire up. How do I reprim the boiler pump in order to get it to fire up again? It is a Grant 15-26 condensing boiler. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭secman

Sounds like an airlock in fuel feed, should be a bleeding outlet on the system whereby you open it until fuel flows out and it should fire up then. Someone more tecnically mined might be able ot tell you precisely whre it is on the burner.

Good luck

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bro'

On my grant condensing boiler it uses the 'Riello' burner and it has a red button for pressing to help reboot the burner if cut out. If the red light is out on the Riello burner sometimes by pressing this red button it will start up again otherwise you will have to bleed the pipe as Secman says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

It probably has a Riello RDB or G3 burner. Thake off the cover and you will see the oil pump which has the oil line going into the bottom of it. On the side of the oil pump you will see an allen screw (which takes an allen key). If you loosen this screw air and oil should bubble out. tighten it and push the reset button. You may have to repeat this. Do not touch the adjustable screw on the front of the oil pump :eek:
    There is also an allen screw on a brass tube which can also be loosened to help bleed the pump. If you do not have an allen key, you can loosen the brass tube completely, but be careful :(
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I'm not sure how old/new your system is - but I had a similar problem a few weeks ago and after bleeding the burner as suggested above, it still wasn't working. But luckily my neighbour is a plumber and he showed me another button that's on some newer systems. On my thermostat (by the boiler) there's a little black cap that screws off and reveals another little button that has to be pushed to restart it. It's some kind of a trip switch & is in addition to the red button on the burner mentioned already. Anyway it worked a dream, but I was on the point of phoning a pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Chuckles, That button is a thermostat high limit and cuts out if the boiler is set too high or overheats for some reason.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
Advertisement