Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security + Tips and Tricks?

Options
  • 17-05-2007 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

I am sitting the security + exam in a month.

I have completed 1x Sybex book (2nd revision) and have started on their fast pass book, also ordered an exam question pack with 300 test questions.

Is there anything else I can do?
    Anyone any advice for me?
    It is my first IT exam and I plan to do A+ and network + and then get into some of the microsoft ones.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Ouch, you picked a nasty exam to start on! Unfortunately, I've been trying to battle through it for 6 months and still haven't gotten the time so I can't really suggest anything but you seem prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

feylya wrote:
    Ouch, you picked a nasty exam to start on! Unfortunately, I've been trying to battle through it for 6 months and still haven't gotten the time so I can't really suggest anything but you seem prepared.
    hehe i know how you feel

I work in the conputer security industry so a lot of it is second nature.
    But some of the topics are really tricky...... im not much into cryptography :(

I have heard from others that it is tough, hope i pass, otherwise its €270 down the drain :(

From what I know, it's the toughest and most expensive comptia exam. I've done the A+, Network+ and Linux+ with minimal effort in terms of study but the amount of acronyms in Security+ is incredible.

feylya wrote:
    From what I know, it's the toughest and most expensive comptia exam. I've done the A+, Network+ and Linux+ with minimal effort in terms of study but the amount of acronyms in Security+ is incredible.

yeh definitly...... i do find that the hardest part.... oh well ive been studying it for months so hopefully i can pass.

Best of luck with it. Let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement

Will do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Grab the Net+ Exam Cram and give it a quick read before sitting the Sec+. I did the Sec+ first aswell, then NET+ and found the answers to most of the Sec+ questions I missed in the NET+ material (I had also used the Sybex guide and knew it inside out, there were many gaps that NET+ filled particularly on protocols).

_CreeD_ wrote:
    Grab the Net+ Exam Cram and give it a quick read before sitting the Sec+. I did the Sec+ first aswell, then NET+ and found the answers to most of the Sec+ questions I missed in the NET+ material (I had also used the Sybex guide and knew it inside out, there were many gaps that NET+ filled particularly on protocols).

Thanks for the info, i will do that.

I got another brand of exam guide aswell as the sybex and have to say, looks like there is a load of gaps in the sybex guide :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

I used the Sybex book which I found good, much closer to the exam than the MS Press books are to their exams.

It covers a wide variety of topics and areas but if I could give you some tips:

Know the difference between symmetric & asymmetric encryptions, and know examples of both.
    Understand certificates, CRL v. OSCP etc.
    Know and understand the different DoS attacks.
    Learn off loads of port numbers!
    Know different types of "Access Control"
    Network security stuff like hubs v. switches
    Know the processes for IT Forensic investigations

Can't think of anything else now. Know the book stuff on wireless security. The physical security stuff should be common-sense but use the book as guide to the right methods.

happy days, i passed. got 808 and 764 is pass rate.

wasnt too bad, though i did guess one or 2 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Congrats!
    Guessing is a big part of that exam, loved the material hated the exam itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

gline wrote:
    happy days, i passed. got 808 and 764 is pass rate.

wasnt too bad, though i did guess one or 2 :)

Chalk it, i've hard its a toughie. Without breaking nda was it a varied exam OS-wise?

galactus wrote:
    Chalk it, i've hard its a toughie. Without breaking nda was it a varied exam OS-wise?
    wasnt really anything OS specific in it

Advertisement