Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wedding pre Meal Entertainment

• 17-05-2007 9:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hi All,

I was hoping that I might be able to get some suggestions for pre-meal entertainment at a wedding. Any interesting ideas? We would like to fill the
    ~2 hour gap with something other than people drinking their fill at the bar. I know people will drink anyway, but with something different on offer, they might drink a little less and enjoyt it all a little more!

All suggesttions welcome!!:)

Thanks to all in advance,
    Langer!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Countryripple

Comedian?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I was at a wedding recently where a Jazz band played for an hour or 2 before the meal, it was very entertaining. A comedian might manopolize the reception area, slightly intimidating people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Jazz Trio or Classical ensemble always goes down a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MissQuackers

how about a magician? sounds a bit naff but have seen it work well at a few events tho right enough, none of them weddings. magician wanders about the crowd doing card tricks and other sleight of hand stuff. one made my engagement ring go up in a puff of smoke - i nearly died!

was at a wedding last week and they had irish dancers - worked well as most of the guests were non irish. you could look into different types of dancers, such as samba? there is a capoeira ireland association who do some kind of package deal - dancers, capoeira performers and musicians for a set price - inexpensive for what you get, and different. would need a bit of floor space tho.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The thing about the magician or a comedian is that they demand the full attention of the crowd. All you want is something going on in the back-ground as you meet & greet people while they congratulate you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭julesrtc

We got married in October in cork and had a guy Ronnie Costley singing between 4 - 6. Does it for 2 hours but we didnt eat until 6:30 so he stayed on for the extra half hourm no extra charge.
    The amount of people that said he was fantastic was unreal. They all thought it was a cd and were amazed he was real!!! It was rat pack music which i think everyone will listen to.
    I think its one of the best things we did..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭mel123

I have heard of a good few people getting a harpest in to play in the bar before the meal

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭danyosan

check out this crowd, we have booked them for our wedding in July.

www.kinvaraduet.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Snail30

I was at a wedding recently and they had a guy there doing caricatures...it was great fun...you could have one done on your own or with a friend/partner etc...everyone got involved and it got people who didn't know each other talking and laughing!
    He also signed it when he was finished....The wedding of...... & ...... and the date so it was a nice souvenir to take home. PM if u want his details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

I sing with the Dublin Halleluia Gospel choir, and we regularly sing at wedding receptions before dinner is served. Our repetoire includes traditional gospel stuff, and gospel variations of other songs, such as stuff by the Beatles, some classical stuff, etc. There are approximately fifty of us in the choir, but only eight at a time do weddings. In that, you get a male lead, female lead, female support and five back up singers. Prices are very reasonable, we're well known and have a rather good name if I do say so myself ;) PM if you'd like details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭llester

Langerland wrote:
    Hi All,

I was hoping that I might be able to get some suggestions for pre-meal entertainment at a wedding. Any interesting ideas? We would like to fill the
    ~2 hour gap with something other than people drinking their fill at the bar. I know people will drink anyway, but with something different on offer, they might drink a little less and enjoyt it all a little more!

All suggesttions welcome!!:)

Thanks to all in advance,
    Langer!

We had a harpist.....with tea coffee and biscuits, and then of course there was the bar......The harpist really set the tone though, it was like, 'come in and enjoy yourselves, put it's not the place to get hammered'!!! It was really nice I have to say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

a good magician will blend in and just do walk up magic. I've seen this guy do children's parties and he is quite good, not sure what his wedding stuff is like though.

www.magictimes.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

I would recommend www.IrishEntertainments.com

Music For All Occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

chocolate fountain is fun

also a bouncy castle- keep the kids busy?

oh, a treasure trail? i love games!

Advertisement