Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISP with same up/down speed

Options
  • 17-05-2007 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

What company's do leased lines or broadband with the same up/down speed?

IBB looked the best option/price but where i work doesn't have line of sight with their transmitters.

thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

either Magnet or BT or both may do SDSL ( s = symettric) but up to 2mbits I'd say and it will cost a fair bit more than IBB . SDSL is a leased line equivalent ....almost.

also discuss fibre with Magnet...ya never know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭gokgok

Sponge Bob wrote:
    either Magnet or BT or both may do SDSL ( s = symettric) but up to 2mbits I'd say and it will cost a fair bit more than IBB . SDSL is a leased line equivalent ....almost.

also discuss fibre with Magnet...ya never know

thanks, we're with Magnet now and can't get them on the phone to discus anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

don't ya have an account manager? We've got magnet fibre and can get either our account manager or either one of three tech's we normally deal with on the phone anytime.

I found them easy to contact ..I PMd you a name

thanks, i'll give him a call

edit: the inherited us from leap and i think we got lost in the hand over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Digiweb do dedicated packages to suit whatever your needs are. Probably expensive though

Digiweb can also do fibre based packages if you need 5 down 5 up starters and so can Smart.

To give yiz an idea, 5 up 5 down , fibre, burst to 10 down 10 up on occasion

€800-€1000 a month. Beats a leased line anyday and is scalable to 10/10 for about €1200 a month and 20/20 for about €1800 to €2000

UNCONTENDED in each case, lest anyone ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Digiweb can also do fibre based packages if you need 5 down 5 up starters and so can Smart.

€800-€1000 a month. Beats a leased line anyday and is scalable to 10/10 for about €1200 a month and 20/20 for about €1800 to €2000

What are the caps like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

i assume no cap as would be the case in any dedicated commit

No cap and 95th percentile pricing on fibre , this means you can burst above for 5% of the time ( 1.5 days a month say if you are doing a backup)

Best on I saw on 95th percentile was a guy who was paying €800 a month for 5mbits but had 50mbits on tap for his off site backups 2 nights a month . Typically you get 2 x your normal rate .

He could fairly welly the data out to a server farm .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rather_b_diving

Just to be sure you understand 95percentile billing you can't burst at 50Mbps for 5% of the time. The system works on statistics and it maps your usage under a normal distribution. 95% is 2 Sigma which is what you get billed for. Its good for small bursts but if you're doing this every night for off site backups you could be in for a suprise. If you're getting away with it it could be the company hasn't implemented it properly (yet)

You should normally not be able to burst that high, yes, so I am not naming names :D .

Thanks for all the help. I've been onto magnet and digiweb and am looking at the different options and costs.

Am i right in thinking, on a 1mb lease line you should get d/l and u/l speeds of 1000k/sec?

good choices but you should also try Smart and Worldcom who would respond with competitive quotes as well .

tell us how it goes please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

gokgok wrote:
    Thanks for all the help. I've been onto magnet and digiweb and am looking at the different options and costs.

Am i right in thinking, on a 1mb lease line you should get d/l and u/l speeds of 1000k/sec?

No.. circa 100KB/sec.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    good choices but you should also try Smart and Worldcom who would respond with competitive quotes as well .

tell us how it goes please :)

will do

edit: would you have a number/link for worldcom, i can't find them in the book or online

sorry , now called Verizon Business

http://www.verizonbusiness.com/ie/

It doesn't look like smart are taking on any more clients as i've rung them four times looking for prices on leased lines and no one would ring me back or be able to give me the info.
    Sponge Bob wrote:

where did you get those prices all i could get from them was a price on leased lines of 1mb €595, 2mb €895, 3mb €1195 with a €1800 installation fee. Would you have a contact name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I have a 1MB/1MB 8:1 uncapped which costs me €50 p/m.

leap.ie (Magnet). Although I think I got carried across from an older package they used to run.

a pity smart no longer do it . they are a great isp

• Advertisement
Advertisement