Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Source for Acrylic window panels?

Options
  • 17-05-2007 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Are the only places to get acrylic window panels either the UK or US?
    Cant find any Irish site that does them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

M Buckley's, builder's providers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

erm... you can buy sheets of Perspex/Plexiglass from woodies or B&Q for €10. Just use a dremel or something and cut them to size. Acrylic glass is its technical name, but most Irish providers will refer to it by its tradenames, plexiglass and perspex. They are one and the same.

2mm or 4mm will do you, plus you'll have some spare to test etching and fan hole cutting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

Brilliant, thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

How do you plan to attach it to the case. SuperGlue? epoxy or rivits?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

Good question
    I was looking here - http://www.directron.com/modguide.html#acrylicwindows
    Any tips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

personally I used nuts and bolts. I liked the look of the bolts on the side panel. If they aren't your taste I'd recommend silicon glue as its easy to remove and apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

B&Q had a selection of sizes and thicknesses last time I looked.
    Bolts can look nice depending on the case although epoxy is easier.

I've been humming and hawing over my case windows, and am stumped on the mounting method.

Silicone and bolts don't appeal to me, but I may use em in the end.
    Hot-glue is also an option, though it's possibly more permanent than Silicone, and may not stand up to cold/shocks.
    I really like the idea of counter-sunk screws, but I fear my side panel is too thin (CM Stacker).

However, if I can find the right type of [ultra shallow head] case-screw and embed some mobo tray standoffs, it may come off as I envision it.

I fear for nuts and bolts, as that means scratches on the exterior paint.

I was playing with the idea of putting a very shallow 1" bevel/margin around the rim of the window to fit the hole.

The depth of the margin would be hard to control, but should allow the window to be flush with the sidepanel. I have a cheap-ass MadeInPROC bench router and some praccy plexi.

I was also considering embedding [tiny, 3mm or less, even SMT] leds along the edge to illuminate the laser-etch, controlled by the lighting circuit.
    Combined with switchable interior lighting and highlighting and a transflective tint [silver+black sheets - see MacroBlack], it should achieve the StealthPimpRapist look I'm going for.

Anyone have sources for low-profile [black] case-screws?
    I have a bunch of these, which I quite like, but they're too long.
    Or the spec of the common-or-garden casescrew? [6/32 thread it seems]

Hope this helps :)

Why dont you just buy the screws you want, then get them powder coated? As for the screws being to long, why not just cut them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

B&Q do packs of real small flat head, countersink bolts with nuts...the countersink in the panel only needs to be 1mm or so to get them flush with the surface. Easy enough to paint each screwhead to match the panel paint. You can cut off any excess thread with a dremel.

• Advertisement

@Anti I reiterate - "flush"

Something which got nuked with the edit which may be of note:

Using UV lighting to show off your kit through the window?
    Make sure the material you choose doesn't absorb [too much] UV.
    http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/eng99/eng99272.htm
    http://www.rplastics.com/plasticlibrary.html
    http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=297709

I'm trying to locate a page that had an excellent comparison of materials.

If you're going to use a more permanent method of affixing the window to the side panel, or doing any artwork (etching, engraving) to the window, take the time to read up on how sunlight may age or discolour the material you're looking to use.

Advertisement