Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer Forum

Options
  • 17-05-2007 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Can there a rule put in place regard to official match threads, where they can only be started 24 hours or soemthing before the kick off. Already before the CL final, there is a 2 page thread on the game. Before we know it, we will have a thread on next years FA Cup final, just so someone can say they got there first and started a really long thread.

Or am I totally over reacting to this?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

PM the mods of soccer. If they agree a rule might be set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

you started a thread on feedback becuase you find something annoying?

you could try opening those threads the day of the game if it botheres you that much.

you are totally over reacting. woman.
    PM the mods of soccer. If they agree a rule might be set up

if that becomes a rule. the place is as pasturised as you can get as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

if that becomes a rule. the place is as pasturised as you can get as it is.

QFT

I think a new / alternative soccer forum should be opened as a sub-forum of the thunderdome.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

gimmick wrote:
    Can there a rule put in place regard to official match threads, where they can only be started 24 hours or soemthing before the kick off. Already before the CL final, there is a 2 page thread on the game. Before we know it, we will have a thread on next years FA Cup final, just so someone can say they got there first and started a really long thread.

Or am I totally over reacting to this?

so you want a rule that people can't discuss certain things unless you feel it is the right time?

You don't like it, don't post in the threads? or start your own personal thread 24 hours before the game?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I think a new / alternative soccer forum should be opened as a sub-forum of the thunderdome.

Now that is a good idea,bula bus.

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote:
    Now that is a good idea,bula bus.
    maybe someone should suggest it as a new forum.....

*ahem*

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055093973

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

you are totally over reacting. woman.

Why can't you disagree with something without always attacking the poster? You do it on a near constant basis.

Also is feedback not the place to raise something about the site that you find annoying. I know plenty of forums would ban you immediately for bringing up issues like this on them - as you can't discuss the moderation of the forum on the forum. So where would you have him raise it????

Gimmick, I can actually see where you are coming from. Not so much from the point of view of not having the thread in advance - but more so that long threads are difficult to wade through if ppl want to see what ppl are generally saying about a game.

Maybe a better idea might be to have a new thread created for big games once the game have started/finished.

On a slightly unrelated point it was really annoying before the CL quarter finals that there was a single thread created for all the games. Might it make more sense to have a single one for each game??? Esp when three english teams competing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

So where would you have him raise it????

With the forum moderators, via PM perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

padser wrote:
    Why can't you disagree with something without always attacking the poster? You do it on a near constant basis.

I take it you reported WWM's post so?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

padser wrote:
    but more so that long threads are difficult to wade through if ppl want to see what ppl are generally saying about a game.
    Wait...you want to read peoples opinion on a game, but couldn't be bothered actually reading through them? If thats what you mean it makes no sense.

If you mean you want to read whats happening in the game, is it really that hard to skip to page 3 instead of reading the stuff before it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's the European Cup Final (I'm old fashioned, I know :) ), the biggest club game of the season, so it's inevitable that people will talk about it once the finalists are known. If it was a discussion about a Man Utd v Chelsea league game that far in avance I might agree with you, but there's no other games in this competition to be played before the final, so why can't it be discussed? Maybe on the night there could be a saparate thread discussing the match as it happens, but I know if Leeds were ever in the final (or any final, I'm not fussy!) I'd be wanting to talk about it well in advance of the final 24 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The PL season is over, so mike had bugger all else to post about, should be enough internet to cope with pre game threads.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

To be fair, some fans have little else to talk focus on but big cup matches and the coverage of such matches can start weeks before hand (or an eternity before hand if you watch Sky).

I don't see a problem with it myself, within reason. I may suggest a pre-match thread and a match thread though.

Would that suit people?? - I can edit threads before a match to "pre-match" which allows another thread for game coverage that day?

i dont really see what that would add except additional pointless threads.

perhaps it is time to set up a second forum where there is less catagorisation and less rules?
    padser wrote:

for someone with 3 and half years here and 3000 posts, im staggared that someone would come on to the feedback forum with a post of this nature.

perhaps i should start a post on feedback saying that Padser was awful to me?
    or maybe i should start a post complaining that there are too many PC idiots running about this site who feel the need to complain about abuse on other peoples behalf? im sure if gimmick wants me to **** off, he'll tell me to. and i wouldnt expect anything else to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

perhaps it is time to set up a second forum where there is less catagorisation and less rules?

Where you can abuse users (lemlin) with your usual wit and sarcasm without the restraints of civility. Great idea you should get others to start that movement for you!!!!

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    Where you can abuse users (lemlin) with your usual wit and sarcasm without the restraints of civility. Great idea you should get others to start that movement for you!!!!

kdjac

ahh, youve finally come out from under your rock and had the balls to say something. good for you.

but it seems that all the mods of the soccer forum dont agree with a different forum for football. i dont understand it really. personally i dont want a forum for open abuse. there are already fora here for that, and i dont post in any of them.
    but it seems that the current soccer mods feel threatened in some way. its not a popularity contest chaps. some people just dont agree with how things are run. and if the mods wont change the way things are run, then whats the problem with starting an alternative?

as much as you dont want to admit it, there is a mod clique in the soccer forum. there are little favaourite posters who get away with things. i went through a spat of reporting posts that were against the rules, and no one was banned, and yet some mods ban people they dont like for something said on another forum. i mean, thats hardly good modding.
    i also dont like the entrance exam you have to pass in order to get in. i think its pointless. i think if you had the balls to just ban people when they are abusive in a forum, then they wont post any more.

PSI has said in another forum that you will get banned for things if they are not 'contextual and it's not reasoned'. can you stick that one in the charter and make sure that its adhered to? seems a bit silly to me. for the mods of the soccer forum to insist that every post is contextual and reasoned is going to be a lot of work!

personally, i would like to see a football forum more along the lines of AH, rather than the current soccer forum that i would eqaute to, say, the politics forum.

now, i dont expect, or even want anyone else to agree with it, nor do i actually need other people to start the 'movement' for me. really, thats a truely awful effort of an insult on your behalf.

but id like to really know why the current soccer mods are so against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

but it seems that the current soccer mods feel threatened in some way. its not a popularity contest chaps. some people just dont agree with how things are run. and if the mods wont change the way things are run, then whats the problem with starting an alternative?

Why do you insist on putting personal remarks into events where none exist?

I don't see that anyone is threathened, I just think that the posters crying foul are generally the posters that the rules are in place to deal with.
    There are 2 main complaints with the soccer forum that I can see (maybe you can add more).

1. It is too hard to get access.
    2. It is too strict.

The access issue has been discussed. The admins want it in place, the mods want it in place alot of the users want it in place.

A small group of people (yourself included) don't like or agree with it and I appreciate that, but as DeVore said of the situation recently, you can't keep all of the people happy all of the time. I don't see mass dissent among the general soccer forum populace. I see maybe 5-10 posters complaining, mainly those who are borderline in their behavior to begin with.

I'm sure you will comment that just because I don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there. I agree, if you can show me evidence that there is mass dissent among the 500+ regular posters, then I for one will believe it's something that the mods and admins need to reconsider.
    as much as you dont want to admit it, there is a mod clique in the soccer forum. there are little favaourite posters who get away with things. i went through a spat of reporting posts that were against the rules, and no one was banned, and yet some mods ban people they dont like for something said on another forum. i mean, thats hardly good modding.

Can you highlight how the incidents you describe are indicitive of a mod clique?

Why for instance, isn't "the mods felt your concerns in the reported posts didn't warrant a ban" a valid explanation? Perhaps the posters were warned by PM?

i also dont like the entrance exam you have to pass in order to get in. i think its pointless. i think if you had the balls to just ban people when they are abusive in a forum, then they wont post any more.
    That is your opinion, others disagree. We're well aware of your opinion, it doesn't become any truer with you repeating it. We (the soccer mods) and the admins have a different view.

Incidently, I notice that you didn't launch into an attack on Gandalf (your mate I believe?) with his explanation and responsibilty of why soccer access came into being, nor his defending of it.

Funny that. Clique you say?
    PSI has said in another forum that you will get banned for things if they are not 'contextual and it's not reasoned'. can you stick that one in the charter and make sure that its adhered to? seems a bit silly to me. for the mods of the soccer forum to insist that every post is contextual and reasoned is going to be a lot of work!

Do you stick every nuance of your moderation in the charter? The charter is a guideline. The best charter to go by on boards.ie is common sense.

I think you're selectively quoting me there too, probably to make my explanation look more cloudy than it is.

What I said was, if someone says something contextually ie: "That tackle by Barton was thuggery" or "Staunton is being a complete dick omitting Connolly"

I personally won't ban for it (the other mods might) because although it's insulting, it's the action and not the man. Slandering a person's character is not acceptable That's just abuse, so if you posted "Barton is a scumbag thug" you get banned.

It's fairly common on boards to say "attack the post and not the poster" - I believe that "attack the action and not the person", is just as valid.

I'm not a babysitter. If people can't be charged with applying civility and common sense then that's their lookout.
    personally, i would like to see a football forum more along the lines of AH, rather than the current soccer forum that i would eqaute to, say, the politics forum.
    There is such a forum, it is on football365 I believe.
    now, i dont expect, or even want anyone else to agree with it, nor do i actually need other people to start the 'movement' for me. really, thats a truely awful effort of an insult on your behalf.

You just like to repeat yourself alot then? I can't see any other reason for it, unless you're trolling, which would explain why you never responded to Paulie.. but no, I don't think so. It's real concern with your perceived evils. I'm sure.

but id like to really know why the current soccer mods are so against it.
    I don't see the need. A forum for small minority of posters who want to be able to troll and flame will pretty much lead to what the old soccer forum was. If the admins want that again, why not just come forward and discuss revamping or regressing the current forum?

I'd rather they did that than split the two.

psi wrote:
    I don't see that anyone is threathened, I just think that the posters crying foul are generally the posters that the rules are in place to deal with.

This is getting really silly now. As WWM said, its not a popularity contest. The mods of the soccer forum are doing a reasonably job, given the remit they've been handed. The proposition of another forum is merely that... a proposition. The vigour in which the current soccer mods have gone against the proposal (in contrast to a mostly positive reception from the other users who've posted) suggests that there is an element of the mods being threathened.

psi wrote:
    Why do you insist on putting personal remarks into events where none exist?

There are 2 main complaints with the soccer forum that I can see (maybe you can add more).

1. It is too hard to get access.
    2. It is too strict.

The access issue has been discussed. The admins want it in place, the mods want it in place alot of the users want it in place..

and thats fine. if it comes up, i add my voice to those who dont agree. you make it sound like there is no room for discussion. but i am aware of how things work here, and i know its not going to change. and thats ok. i dont agree with it, but i still post in the soccer forum. i accept it.

as for personal remarks 'that point was taken from the current thread ont he forums forum, where it seems that the only people who are putting up any sort of effort to stop a forum being made, are the current mods of the soccer forum. i fail to see what that a new forum has got to do with the current soccer mods, or why they would want it blocked, after all....
    psi wrote:
    A small group of people (yourself included) don't like or agree with it .
    psi wrote:
    I don't see mass dissent among the general soccer forum populace. I see maybe 5-10 posters complaining, mainly those who are borderline in their behavior to begin with.

mass dissent? who said anything about mass dissent. im sure me personally, and i can only speak for myself, i am unhappy with the mod behaviour in the soccer forum. but thats nothing new. i dont like the rules for access. i think they are unneccessary. and i think the forum is too strict. i believe the rules, when they are enforced, too often dont allow for an open discussion.
    psi wrote:
    I'm sure you will comment that just because I don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there. I agree, if you can show me evidence that there is mass dissent among the 500+ regular posters, then I for one will believe it's something that the mods and admins need to reconsider.

again, im not sure where this mass dissent comes from. now, ive seen you argue, and your an intelligent fellow, so i can only assume that youre trying to put words into my mouth in order to discredit anytyhing i say. as for 500+ regular posters, well, that i would dispute. 50-60 maybe, with another 50 like myself. but not 500. but i dont have the stats, thats only my observation, and i dont read every post in the soccer forum.

psi wrote:
    Can you highlight how the incidents you describe are indicitive of a mod clique?

sure. little pal says something that would get newbie banned. little pal doesnt get banned. newbie does.
    but i dont take notes, so i cant point you to it. its happened. youll just have to take my word that im not a bare faced liar.

psi wrote:
    Why for instance, isn't "the mods felt your concerns in the reported posts didn't warrant a ban" a valid explanation? Perhaps the posters were warned by PM?

perhaps they were. im not a mind reader, but in situations where a ban is what is called for, by your own charter, it makes me wonder why you dont implement your own charter. i mean, you seem to make up a new rule every week, it would be good to have the consistancy of the mods actually sticking with it. otherwise, i think its only fair that the users be able to start ignoring it.

psi wrote:
    That is your opinion, others disagree. We're well aware of your opinion, it doesn't become any truer with you repeating it. We (the soccer mods) and the admins have a different view..

and it doesnt become any less true either.

psi wrote:
    Incidently, I notice that you didn't launch into an attack on Gandalf (your mate I believe?) with his explanation and responsibilty of why soccer access came into being, nor his defending of it.

Funny that. Clique you say?.

i have spoken to paul in person many times about it, and we have had many an argument about it. do you feel that i should say it over and over again just so you can understand everything that goes on without your knowledge, after all, you do complain

psi wrote:
    You just like to repeat yourself .

i guess i cant win can i. its a discussion about the football forum, and i put forwaqrd an opinon. you disagree and then attack me personally (which you accuse me off), but of course, when i dont say anything, then its becuase im part of a clique.
    perhaps you could tell me what i should be doing?

should i voice my dissatsfaction, or should i shut up? becuase as far as i concern, usually, usually, i also put in something that i feel would be an alternative to whats in place.

i have said what i dont like, and i have said what i feel should be done about it, whcih is more than i can say for most people.

psi wrote:
    Do you stick every nuance of your moderation in the charter? The charter is a guideline. The best charter to go by on boards.ie is common sense.

exactly. you say that, but you dont seem to execute it.

and if common sense ruled, you wouldnt ban people on one forum, for something they say on another forum, would you. so dont come at me with the common sense rule. youve overstepped that mark on a number of occassions.
    you lovked a thread inthe soccer forum yesterday on the hillsrough tradgedy becuase you felt it was off topic or something. thats not common sense. another soccer mod was getting his ass kicked for posting up something stupid. you appeared to have locked it. if a mod is involved already, then why not let him take the option to close it. do you not trust him to be able to close a thread if he feels its off topic.
    its that kind of rubbish that annoys me, and others, and makes people feel that the soccer forum is over moderated.

heres a quick tip for you.

youre there to ensure the forum runs smoothly. youre not there to make sure epople are posting the right way. if they break the forum charter, ban them. its simple. if they dont, then stop telling people what they can and cant do or say.

to say that only 'contextual and reasoned' posts should now be allowed on the forum, is nonsense.
    psi wrote:
    That's just abuse, so if you posted "Barton is a scumbag thug" you get banned.

but he is! hes been arrested for putting someone in hospital.

There is such a forum, it is on football365 I believe.

i wouldnt know, i dont read it. but that doesnt mean that we cant have something else here.
    just becuase you dont agree with it yadda yadda yadda.
    You just like to repeat yourself alot then? I can't see any other reason for it, unless you're trolling, which would explain why you never responded to Paulie.. but no, I don't think so. It's real concern with your perceived evils. I'm sure.

ahhhh, here we go.

the old 'youre obviously just trolling now' attack. nicely played. you managed to get nearly through a whole post without that one coming out!

my reasons for not fronting paul are between us. and hes not the mod of the soccer forum. when he was, i used to be in his face all the time.; but you werent around for that.
    I don't see the need. A forum for small minority of posters who want to be able to troll and flame will pretty much lead to what the old soccer forum was. If the admins want that again, why not just come forward and discuss revamping or regressing the current forum?

I'd rather they did that than split the two.

but you see, thats not what i want. you must not have read the bit that i said above about what i wanted, and just assumed that i agreed with everything that is going on on the forums forum.

come on psi. youre talking to me here, not posting on that other thread. if youre going to make remarks at me about what i want, then know what i want. not what other people want.

ive tried discussing the revamping of the current forum. you tell me i bring it over and over again like a parrot. or that im trolling.

at what point do my opinions become a concern for you without you just dismissing me, or anyone else.
    at the moment, you seem to think that there a few people who are unhappy, and have dismissed them. you have told us that we can always post on the 365 forums. that does not sound like reconcilitory discussion to me.
    in fact, its sounds like 'if you dont like it, the **** off'

and besides, the mods and the admin all seem to agree (according to you, although i did notice that ecksor did suggest a trial run of sometehing different, im not sure if that was ignored or not) that everything is hunky dory.

and if thats the case, then great. go with it. ive told you i dont have a problem. but if that is the case, then if someone else wants to start something, dont get involved, becuase that looks like youre threatened, and are trying to throw a spanner in the works.

if you want to a real discussion ointhe soccer forum, then start a thread about it, and we can have a ral discussion. personally im bored by the constant trolling accussations etc becuase i happen to disagree with you. i also think its a lazy argument for you. i would have expected something better myself. something more original. but again, youre attacking the poster and not the post. im sure you said something around here about that, but how and ever. i will let it go becuase it really doesnt interest me. now.

well, im sure ive answered all your points to no satisfaction at all. again, im not interested in trading points, or tit for tat point scoring. im too old for that. i want what is best for boards. right now, if the soccer forum doesnt change, then i see an alternative forum as something that will be better for boards.ie.

however, having thought about it during the day, ive decided im not interested in looking at a seperate forum.
    neither am i interested in arguing the toss over how ou run the forum. its your forum and you can run it how you see fit.
    personally, i dont think i have been any trouble on there in a very very long time, and argument with lemlin not-with-standing, and i have reduced my posting there to what i do post.
    my views are out there. i dont intend to argue them. or anyone elses.

carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

psi wrote:
    I don't see a problem with it myself, within reason. I may suggest a pre-match thread and a match thread though.
    This seems like the best idea so far, one for the build up and one for the actual game itself and the aftermath.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

WWM arguing again for the sake of it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

alternatively you could just close the forum again.

RuggieBear wrote:
    alternatively you could just close the forum again.
    ah its yourself! hello.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

padser wrote:

Because as a big bad mod he wont get banned for it. He called the OP a woman, I saw him ban others for similar/less on AH. Honestly, I think some mods are school bullies who couldnt actually make the cut when they were younger and choose to live the fantasy in adulthood....

On the internet......

Grr!!!! Fear me :rolleyes: :confused:

Only difference being that in the old days of school if the wannabe tough guy insulted you, you told him to go ride his oul one, and highlighted the fact he was overweight, secretly gay or ginger (if any were applicable) and the winner was decided in the ensuing fight. Here its a case of mod insult user, mod dares user to insult (as seen here), user insults mod back, user get banned.

Damn, I miss school :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

He's not a mod on this forum.

Neither am I for that matter.

It just leaves me stumped that some people want to bitch and moan about the way things are without backing up what they have to say with any tangible proof.

There are other non-mod posters here who would exhibit a similiar posting style to WWM and they don't get banned.

That kind of blows the whole mod leniency thing out of the water, I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

There are other non-mod posters here who would exhibit a similiar posting style to WWM and they don't get banned.

Who? :confused: Theyve all been site banned I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

You'd be surprised.

Without naming names, I can think of two...actually make that three.

One of whom posts here regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

You'd be surprised.

Without naming names, I can think of two...actually make that three.

One of whom posts here regularly.

I suspect I'm one of them, I'm only a Hmod...;) :p

Advertisement