Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer Forum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

If it is to be shut down, could we get a seperate section for the League of Ireland?

The majority of LoI posters aren't party to the petty squabbles that happen between the fans of the English game on there, and I enjoy the chat between us there when it happens.

I wouldn't like to see a total split, but if the Soccer forum is to be shut down, then I'd like it to be considered. We are a minority on there, but in the main we don't cause any of the crap.

I'd like it to be considered at least.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

And some of the soccer forum posters don't do themselves any favours by continually nit picking.

Is it not obvious that the admins are currently suffering from the biggest case of pain in the arse known to man because of all the sh*te that flows from the forum?

Read ecksor's posts. Its plain enough to see.

I agree with what you are saying, but as I have said and will continue to say, there are certain mods who constantly pick out users to give a hard time to. This of course is only my opinion.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

The Muppet wrote:
    Fair enough Ecksor. I was only trying to offer constructive feedback about the soccer forum. I can see from the tone of your posts that you are not interested in that. I will leave it at that so.

Of course I'm interested in it. I just don't believe that YOU are interested in offering any (for reasons explained). You're one hint of an offence away from a life ban in that forum.

Aquos76 wrote:
    The only reason why the current Liverpool thread is still open is because some mods are now under pressure not to be seen as favouring towards one team

That's convenient. I'm sure you're digging up examples for me to browse through as I type.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

ecksor wrote:
    You're one hint of an offence away from a life ban in that forum.

Why is that ?

• Advertisement

The people that contribute regularly find it positive, would you agree?

Some do apparently. Some don't and they complain about it.
    The fact that large numbers of posters continue to request access to the forum suggests that others want to join the discussion.

Of course ... so? Are you implying that this says something about whether it's positive or negative? It was at its most negative from our point of view when most people had opportunity to post there.
    That people who choose not to contribute don't find it a positive thing doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

I don't contribute to most forums, regardless of my level of interest. My view here is probably going to tend to be a little different to most.

My view: 22 men kick a ball around for 90 minutes and at the end of the match the two managers blame the referee. Bloody entertaining stuff and a great way to spend a few beers. I keep hearing that banter between fans is all part of the game. Well, I understand that. Where exactly words like 'scum' or deliberately having a go at other posters enters into this I'm not clear on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

ecksor, for what my meagre opinion is worth.

The soccer forum is host to the most trenchant and bigotted posters on Boards. The only area you get anything similar (tmk) is in the religion and subs forum. You also have some fairly trigger happy Mods in there, too, with which I personally have no problem - I try not to present myself as a target - but combined with close-minded attitudes of the posters there's tremendous ongoing scope for a "Millwall".

I have suggested before, as I believe have others, that the dismantling of the Soccer forum is the way to deal with the problems there. Let the man u and liverpool fans have their own Pits and leave the soccer forum to soccer fans (as opposed to club adherents). Much as the religion forum is broken up into seperate beliefs. The argument against giving these their own forum is always that adherents of other clubs will want theirs also, but that can be subverted by treating the new "red" subs as being quarantines rather than an elitism!

Just my thoughts on the matter, no axes to grind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

ecksor wrote:
    My view: 22 men kick a ball around for 90 minutes and at the end of the match the two managers blame the referee. Bloody entertaining stuff and a great way to spend a few beers. I keep hearing that banter between fans is all part of the game. Well, I understand that. Where exactly words like 'scum' or deliberately having a go at other posters enters into this I'm not clear on.

There are time I wish I had that view. I would have sooo much time to do more worthwhile things. However, I, like many fools have been sucked into the loose charms of football. "Scum", while a derogatory term, certainly has its place in some instances, for instance, recently Joey Barton (if you are not familiar - a player with a very chequered history) attacked one his team mates from behind during training, knocking him unconscious and then proceeding to gouge at his eyes. So while it may not be hugely PC to call somebody scum, i don't think its inappropriate.

As the search function is limited at the moment, it would be time consuming and difficult to find examples, but please take my word that the current charter and implementation have created a situation where relatively innocuous statements are used as ammo for disgruntled members to get one another banned. To use a football analogy this is like gathering around the referee after a bad tackle gesturing for a card to be shown.

While I sympathise with the past difficulties with the forum, I think the current situation, while causing less of a headache for yourselves, is also damaging. I have no doubt the current setup can tick along indefinitely, attracting regular postings, but it is sifled of humour largely, of colourful language that would be used in all football conversations outside the forum.

The current setup, avoiding all flame wars, is however, home to a similar if not greater level of animosity. Its like the married couple who no longer argue, but instead quietly brush past each other with a restrained hostility.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Banter is grand but trolling is just dragging the already pretty low level discussions between rival fans to a really annoying level, I used to post quite a bit in the soccer forum but I rather stick to politics now the mods there, whom anyone who knows my history here will know I have had my fair share of run ins with, mod the forum very well and any kind of trolling or flaming is shot down pretty quickly, maybe its just I'm an Aston Villa fan so when the Utd V Liverpool or Chelsea V Arsenal debates kick off I'm a neutral.

I'm sure a few weeks of Ecksor in charge will sort it out as since its closed season in the UK the only thing posters can discuss is transfers and slag each other off.

ecksor wrote:
    That's convenient. I'm sure you're digging up examples for me to browse through as I type.

I'm not actually. Unlike some people, thats not my style

• Advertisement

Fair enough. Apologies for my suspicious nature.

I'm familiar with Joey Barton (and indeed a certain lack of discipline from a few Man City players in the last year), but I still don't see how that introduces the need for certain insults in our forums.

The need arises because the term is appropriate and is in common usage. In this case its not an insult.

Of course it's still an insult.

What if I called Pol Pot a monster? Is that an insult or an accurate description of a person based on evidence?

Of course he wasn't literally a monster, nor is Barton literally scum.

Either way, regardless of the definition of the word insult, I contend the term is appropriate and has its place in the discussion.

Right, and I'm saying it doesn't.

ecksor wrote:
    Right, and I'm saying it doesn't.
    Ok, so we disagree then. Fair thee well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Moan, Moan, Moan, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda, Blah, Blah, Blah!

People need to stop moaning. It's always the same in the Soccer Forum, if someone is allowed to Troll people complain and if someone is banned for Trolling the same people complain. Funnily enough it's always the same people complaining too.

And while I'm here, why is the Liverpool Fans thread still open? Surely if there was ever a thread that was gonna cos headaches for everyone concerned that' the one?!

Personally I think that thread should stay open, but a rename would be appropriate, because as has been pointed out in the thread already, football hooliganism is not exclusive to one group of supporters.

Every team that plays away from home either in the european cup, uefa cup or even premiership games, have an element of fans who travel away for one pacific reason only.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Aquos76 wrote:
    Personally I think that thread should stay open, but a rename would be appropriate, because as has been pointed out in the thread already, football hooliganism is not exclusive to one group of supporters.

Every team that plays away from home either in the european cup, uefa cup or even premiership games, have an element of fans who travel away for one pacific reason only.
    Not necessarily, the last away trip I was on was to Stuttgart for the Ireland match against Germany. There was only 1 arrest made and that was for some gobsh1te that made a Nazi salute. But anyway that's off topic.

• Advertisement

fade2black wrote:
    You seem to be somewhat of a troll yourself Ecksor. Albeit a high powered one.

I am lead to believe that this comment has gotten F2B a ban from not only here but also the Soccer forum.

Surely that cant be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

So the problems with Soccer forum other than many threads on the same subject re the OP :

Cant abuse players.
    Cant abuse other users.
    Cant try get other users banned.

Did i leave anything out?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

KdjaCL wrote:
    Cant abuse players.
    Cant abuse other users.
    Cant try get other users banned.
    Sounds like a cleaner version of Feedback...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Aquos76 wrote:
    I am lead to believe that this comment has gotten F2B a ban from not only here but also the Soccer forum.

Surely that cant be right.
    I'd be disappointed if the Soccer forum got shut down, I read it fairly regularly and contribute from time to time. But FFS some of the ****e that goes on there is unreal. TBH it's ecksor's party he can cry if he wants to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No one crosses ecksor and lives to tell the tale.

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I also read Soccer fairly regularly and contribute from time to time, I'd hate to see it shut down too [/my 2 cents]

I'd also really miss the Soccer request forum; one of my favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I'm back now after a short work holiday.

I have to say, I'm amused how attitudes have changed now ecksor has joined our flock.

It's very simple. Soccer posters are generally divided into tribal groups, who by nature are competitive with each other. The bigger groups tend to cross the borders of "banter" to the point where they caused a crackdown in the forum.

They then outlined a perceived blockade of "banter", which wasn't the case. What has been clamped down on (now moreso that ecksor is modding) is the use of the forum rules to upset other users and try and provoke others into a ban.

Users complained about soccer mods when they were called on trying to do this. Users complained about soccer mods when they succeeded in doing this. Who did the complaining and why, usually depended on which particular tribe the person being sanctioned was a part of.

I've even seen some users report posts or PM a mod and then when the reported post is acted upon, the same user will come out and say they weren't intending to get the person banned, they just wanted to highlight the inadequecy of the rules.

All of this makes modding the forum quite difficult and the fact of the matter is there will always be a tribe disgruntled by the mod actions, because things arent't going their way.

Of the people I've seen post on this thread and the others, most of the most more prolifically outspoken - REACTOR, The Muppet, mayordenis, WWM fade2black jump out at me, are people either currently or previously banned from the soccer forum and names known to the mods (and not in a good way). I understand and appreciate why they react as they do, but the fact of the matter is, the forum is modded for the masses and not just the most vocal. The masses are still posting away in the forum and not on this thread.

Some of the tactics employed by the soccer forum troublemakers are downright childish. One in particular has stooped to attempting blackmail, while others have been content with outright abuse. I'm sure now that ecksor represents a soccer mod and the highest site authority, this sort of carry on will die down.

The biggest problem I've seen with the posters who run into trouble on this site, is the fact that they refuse to take responsibility for their actions. It's always the fault of the mod or the charter or the system. Sometimes it is, sometimes the system doesn't work, but if that's the case, you deal with it before you get banned or noticed as a troublemaker, not after. And when you do so, try do it without abuse or without blackmail.

I don't think there has been a problem with soccer since the forum shut down (and in the run up to it being shut down, I was one of the biggest critics), I think the system put into place then has done the job. The issue is the fact that certain posters that we let back in, have been trying, since that time, to circumvent the new system, in order to bring us back to the bad old days. That's a sad sad thing for anyone to lend support to.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

psi wrote:
    Of the people I've seen post on this thread and the others, most of the most more prolifically outspoken , WWM jump out at me, are people either currently or previously banned from the soccer forum and names known to the mods (and not in a good way). I understand and appreciate why they react as they do, but the fact of the matter is, the forum is modded for the masses and not just the most vocal. The masses are still posting away in the forum and not on this thread..

im sorry, which of those do i come under?

i dont recall being banned from the soccer forum ever, and while i am a huge critic of the way the forum is run, i say my piece on threads on feedback etc.

i think this show up the attitude you have towards some posters. i have been critical of your handling of a number of bannings, and im automatically earmarked.

as you say yourself, attack the post, not the poster, but you always seem to make something personal at me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

im sorry, which of those do i come under?

i dont recall being banned from the soccer forum ever, and while i am a huge critic of the way the forum is run, i say my piece on threads on feedback etc.

i think this show up the attitude you have towards some posters. i have been critical of your handling of a number of bannings, and im automatically earmarked.

as you say yourself, attack the post, not the poster, but you always seem to make something personal at me.
    It's nothing personal. When you're not being rude, I actually admire your posting.

In soccer you have in the past been viewed as borderline regarding an attack on another poster or flaming/trolling, for whatever reason at the time, you weren't banned (and I believe I was the one who suggested against banning you).

I do believe you had been banned for a previous infringement before my arrival although I can't confirm without search.

I know you've been critical by the way and I have no problem with that. I've only ever asked that you do it in the correct manner and without being abusive - I can recall maybe two posts you've made criticising me that haven't either been in the wrong place or containing some snide attempt at flaming, trolling or being otherwise personally insulting.

If that is your style and the only style you can post in, so be it, but it isn't one I'm inclined to pay attention to. I've told you this before.

If you do want to criticise in an adult, not abusive and constructive way, then I'm all ears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

psi wrote:

I do believe you had been banned for a previous infringement before my arrival although I can't confirm without search.

then id like you to go and do your search and find out when i was banned. and if its that long ago,. then i completely fail to see why you have me listed.
    psi wrote:
    I know you've been critical by the way and I have no problem with that. I've only ever asked that you do it in the correct manner and without being abusive - I can recall maybe two posts you've made criticising me that haven't either been in the wrong place or containing some snide attempt at flaming, trolling or being otherwise personally insulting..

i tend to give back what i get, so i will assume you were your usual witty self in reference to me. such as your above post involving me.
    psi wrote:

If that is your style and the only style you can post in, so be it, but it isn't one I'm inclined to pay attention to. I've told you this before..

you see, i dont understand. you respond every time, but are you saying that you arent going to take on board anything i say.
    so for you, its just about getting in your remarks, and not about addressing any of the points i make. again, a mark of the man, and not one that should be in a moderating position on boards.ie imho.
    psi wrote:
    If you do want to criticise in an adult, not abusive and constructive way, then I'm all ears.

you can go back and read anything ive written. but it seems you ignore it, and then call me a parrot.

remember?

so why would i?

besides, im not interested in posting your soccer forum anymore. there seems to be a lot of people who would like something different than what you offer, and if they get a forum going, id post in there. i said i have nothing more to say on the matter of your forum, and its the truth. i dont, what i dont like is your constant use of me as some sort of totem for disruption.
    if you want a disrupting factor, id look at the moderation of the forum. that seems to be what people are not happy with.

Advertisement