Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer Forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

6th wrote:
    Well I hate this thread because no one liked my picture :(
    I liked it. Just wasn't arsed commenting. If the rep system was still in place I would've hit you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Thanks, I feel a bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Pfft.

This thread is about 150 posts longer than it needs to be: Soccer should be no different to mod than any other forum and the whole system that's in place makes a mountain out of a mole hill.

You weren't here in the before time, in the long, long ago.

I think in formulating your opinion you've dismissed some basic tenants of tribal psychology. Moreover, the tendancy of soccer posters to organise themselves onto clans rather than the usual individuals or groups of friends (which both also exist) is what makes the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Instead of opening a new thread just thought id make my issue known here.

I was banned for 2 weeks for my thread and subsequent posts, could someone please point out where I broke the rules

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

psi wrote:
    You weren't here in the before time, in the long, long ago.

I think in formulating your opinion you've dismissed some basic tenants of tribal psychology. Moreover, the tendancy of soccer posters to organise themselves onto clans rather than the usual individuals or groups of friends (which both also exist) is what makes the difference.
    My point is simply that you're making it easy for those "tribes" to faction themselves out and creating a "them and us" atmosphere for the forum. I'm not disputing that they do it, I'm addressing a contributory factor.

It is true that I wasn't here in the before time - but I think my analysis of the situation as it currently stands holds up despite only having a retrospective appreciation of the way things were in that forum before.

• Advertisement

I was replying to your PM, but here is just as good.

You posted several posts in a short space of time rising liverpool fans. Your attempts to claim that "some liverpool fans need to take some blame" hardly holds up to the fact that you had already posted twice in the match thread in a very trolly manner insisting that Liverpool always cause trouble. When noone took the bait, you started a thread designed to incite.

My point is simply that you're making it easy for those "tribes" to faction themselves out and creating a "them and us" atmosphere for the forum. I'm not disputing that they do it, I'm addressing a contributory factor.

How are we making it easy for tribalism? Tribalism transcends soccer. It's alot of why the game is so popular. There are websites about soccer named tribalsoccer or soccertribes etc etc.

Do you mean by the access system? If so, see below.

What them and us? I participate in the forum as supporter (albeit of a fairly crappy team at the moment). I give opinions, I make angry comments about actions of players, officials and managers.
    It is true that I wasn't here in the before time - but I think my analysis of the situation as it currently stands holds up despite only having a retrospective appreciation of the way things were in that forum before.

Well I think you've done a bit of accusing without any information. For starters you're accusing us of setting up the system. This in itself is erroneous. DeVore set up the system and it was his take that the soccer forum needed to be this way. The main mod who devised it with him is no longer soccer mod. For the record, both DeVore and Gandalf have expressed unhappiness at suggestions of a move away from access.

That is completely unfounded I was not trying to rise any Liverpool fans I was merely pointing out that there was a minority of Liverpool fans causing trouble at a time when everyone was blaming authorities.

In the match thread all I said was that Liverpool's fans have a history of being involved in trouble, which is a true statement. I never said all liverpool fans are scumbags I merely pointed out that the genuine fans have to take responsibility for controlling the thugish minority there is nothing inciting about that. I made the new thread after I had come across those videos which was before I made my posts in the match thread as I thought people would be intrested in seeing them[which they were] and to start a debate on whether Liverpool should shoulder some of the blame with uefa on some of their fans behaviour, it was a reasonable question and hardly one that can be categorised as trolling.

I was in no way trolling nor had I any intention of trolling and under the circumstances I want my ban revoked

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    That is completely unfounded I was not trying to rise any Liverpool fans I was merely pointing out that there was a minority of Liverpool fans causing trouble at a time when everyone was blaming authorities.

In the match thread all I said was that Liverpool's fans have a history of being involved in trouble, which is a true statement. I never said all liverpool fans are scumbags I merely pointed out that the genuine fans have to take responsibility for controlling the thugish minority there is nothing inciting about that. I made the new thread after I had come across those videos which was before I made my posts in the match thread as I thought people would be intrested in seeing them[which they were] and to start a debate on whether Liverpool should shoulder some of the blame with uefa on some of their fans behaviour, it was a reasonable question and hardly one that can be categorised as trolling.

I was in no way trolling nor had I any intention of trolling and under the circumstances I want my ban revoked

Why title the thread "Liverpool fans....." ?

Why not give it a less inflammatory title if your intentions were as reasoned and well meaning as you indicate here?

Reviewing your posts, you seem to have a problem with Liverpool in general (thats just how it seems).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

psi wrote:
    Why title the thread "Liverpool fans....." ?

I imagine that was because it was about Liverpool fans, psi.

• Advertisement

As the thread was about Liverpool fans, not all Liverpool fans but Liverpool fans nonetheless. Only one person complained about the title and if it was really that much of an issue it could have been changed to 'A Minority of Liverpool Fans...' No need to ban me over that.

And as for my posts about Liverpool, disagreeing with posters over certain issues doesn't necessarily mean I have a problem with Liverpool it just simply means I have a diffrent view point on certain matters that Liverpool happen to be involved in.To call that trolling is just silly. I know the soccer forum has had its problem but posters should be able to confidently disagree with other posters without being accused of trying to incite something

I'm a liverpool fan, i don't think it was trolling. Just because a thread is likely to have a large number of opponents doesn't mean it is trolling.

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    As the thread was about Liverpool fans, not all Liverpool fans but Liverpool fans nonetheless. Only one person complained about the title and if it was really that much of an issue it could have been changed to 'A Minority of Liverpool Fans...' No need to ban me over that.

And as for my posts about Liverpool, disagreeing with posters over certain issues doesn't necessarily mean I have a problem with Liverpool it just simply means I have a diffrent view point on certain matters that Liverpool happen to be involved in.To call that trolling is just silly. I know the soccer forum has had its problem but posters should be able to confidently disagree with other posters without being accused of trying to incite something

Well, I'm doubtful about your intentions and when and if I see something that changes my mind, I'll reduce/revoke the ban.

I'm just as sickened by the events in Athens as anyone and I see a need to discuss it, but what I don't see a need to do is wave it in anyones faces.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

And I think the ban handed to SpAcEd OuT is exactly what I think is wrong with the soccer forum. The thread he started was a valid one, it pointed out what Liverpool fans were at in Athens. The fact that he didnt say it was a minority is hardly grounds for a ban, he said Liverpool fans, a statement that was 100% true. He started valid discussion on an issue that needed to be discussed. Just because some people think he is having a pop at Liverpool fans does not make it trolling. He should be allowed to start that thread and voice his opinions on what happened without the fear of a ban.

Again, the Soccer forum is far too strict at the moment and its stopping valid discussions on important topics.

I've no problem with a valid discussion on the topic, in fact I might start a thread on it myself.

I do have a huge problem with valid discussion being used as an excuse to piss other people off. That discussion could have easily been started by Spaced out in a way that didn't get the backs up other posters. The fact that he did it after being largely ignored in a Liverpool thread is just too suspicious to be plausible imo.

But as I said if he can show me from his posting that I've taken him up wrong in the 10 or so posts of his I've reviewed, I'll unban.

psi wrote:
    I've no problem with a valid discussion on the topic, in fact I might start a thread on it myself.

I do have a huge problem with valid discussion being used as an excuse to piss other people off. That discussion could have easily been started by Spaced out in a way that didn't get the backs up other posters. The fact that he did it after being largely ignored in a Liverpool thread is just too suspicious to be plausible imo.

But as I said if he can show me from his posting that I've taken him up wrong in the 10 or so posts of his I've reviewed, I'll unban.

Who exactly, did he annoy? From what I can see, nobody reported the thread. You banned him because you thought he might annoy someone, you didn't like what he said in the thread - but you appear to be the only one who didn't like it. You assumed (probably based on experience you'll say) it would annoy people. Why didn't you ask him to edit the thread if it is a topic you thought was worthy being discussed, or edit it yourself?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

He annoyed me or I should say the thread title annoyed me.

scojones wrote:
    Who exactly, did he annoy? From what I can see, nobody reported the thread. You banned him because you thought he might annoy someone, you didn't like what he said in the thread - but you appear to be the only one who didn't like it. You assumed (probably based on experience you'll say) it would annoy people. Why didn't you ask him to edit the thread if it is a topic you thought was worthy being discussed, or edit it yourself?

I go on context and intent. I mean if someone were to post abusing Stan Collymore or Neil Warnock, I'm pretty sure noone would complain. I'd still ban them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

The captions assigned to each video were deifinite trolls imho.

Dub13 wrote:
    He annoyed me or I should say the thread title annoyed me.

Does the words Liverpool fans annoy you? Strange, you have it in your signature. Why did it annoy you?

• Advertisement

scojones wrote:
    Does the words Liverpool fans annoy you? Strange, you have it in your signature. Why did it annoy you?

Half the time I'm not sure if you're deliberately obtuse or not.

In any case, you've gone from claiming noone is offended to trying to tell people that they shouldn't be.

Not your job.

psi wrote:
    Half the time I'm not sure if you're deliberately obtuse or not.

In any case, you've gone from claiming noone is offended to trying to tell people that they shouldn't be.

Not your job.

*Yawn*

You're jumping to conclusions. Where have I told him he shouldn't be offended?

Also, less of the insults please psi. Take a leaf from your own book, so to speak.

scojones wrote:
    *Yawn*

You're jumping to conclusions. Where have I told him he shouldn't be offended?

Also, less of the insults please psi. Take a leaf from your own book, so to speak.
    Perhaps I am, but you were clearly wrong so why not leave rather than continue your trolling?

What insult? To be obtuse is based on action not state.

I'll continue this in PM as the thread is going off topic.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

scojones wrote:

I thought I might have reported some of his posts? certainly thought about it. he annoyed the hell out of me for one. practically all of his posts have a trolling tone to them imo, he certainly wasn't setting out for a 'reasoned' discussion.

This is utter bollox. Every little ****ing thing in the soccer forum is getting blown into a huge deal. The thread wasn't trolling, or if it was, it was so subtle a kind of trolling, that it doesn't merit a ban. The thugs in question were Liverpool fans, and I as a Liverpool fan felt rightly ashamed that these people would represent the club abroad in that manner.

As scojones has rightly pointed out, the thread title was appropriate. Last time I checked this wasn't a Super Happy Positive Everything Liverpool forum (as much as I might like that).

The reason for all the complaints is that the current setup has bred a crybaby mentality. This is an internet forum, not the House of Lords.

It's no use mate, they won't listen. I know one thing is for sure, I won't be visiting the soccer forum again.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    This is utter bollox. Every little ****ing thing in the soccer forum is getting blown into a huge deal. The thread wasn't trolling, or if it was, it was so subtle a kind of trolling, that it doesn't merit a ban. The thugs in question were Liverpool fans, and I as a Liverpool fan felt rightly ashamed that these people would represent the club abroad in that manner.

As scojones has rightly pointed out, the thread title was appropriate. Last time I checked this wasn't a Super Happy Positive Everything Liverpool forum (as much as I might like that).

The reason for all the complaints is that the current setup has bred a crybaby mentality. This is an internet forum, not the House of Lords.

well thats your opinion, i think as little of it as you think of mine. scojones seemed to be implying that no-one had any problem with the thread which wasn't true, plenty of people complained about it.

copacetic wrote:
    scojones seemed to be implying that no-one had any problem with the thread which wasn't true, plenty of people complained about it.

Where did they complain? I didn't see one reported post for that thread, but I might have missed it.

Regardless, I'm done here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

The Muppet wrote:
    Of course there is a need for the reason stated. Nobody posts "bile" on soccer and gets away with it. I have had over 5000 posts here, mostly on soccer so it should not be difficult to provide links as I requested.
    I think that it has already been pointed out that the search is down. That aside, anybody who is familiar with your posts and postings would recognise your constant lame attempts at trolling on the soccer and other fora.

The Muppet wrote:
    I don' see the relevances to this topic but as you have raised it I'll address it . That was four years ago when I joined the site . I don't think I was the first or last Noob to try fight The Powar when I came here. I would hope all involved have moved on from that.
    The relevance is that while some people "fight the power" what you did was quite different and you know this. I have yet to see another instance of where a user has so blatantly lied to an admin, involved a "friend of his" in this deception and gotten away with it. It shows a trait related to a personality that has a certain distaste about it.

TBH the most relevant and accurate thing you have ever used your keyboard for on this site was done the day you decided upon your nic.

Advertisement