Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm so ****ing angry right now...

Options
  • 17-05-2007 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭

My cat has really blown it...

She woke me up at 7am this morning running around the room like a lunatic jumping on paper bags. That's fine. She gets a bit giddy sometimes. With my eyes still half closed I stumble out of bed, take the bag from her and go back asleep.

I wake up 10 minutes ago to find a DEAD ROBIN on the floor of my bedroom and feathers all over the place!!! She must have been running around with it when she woke me up earlier and I just didn't see it.

I'm so mad at her. Yes she's a cat, I know it's her nature, she's brought home a million dead (and half-dead) things before but bringing one into the house is crossing the line. She's sitting there looking delighted with herself, as I sit up she starts walkin over to it and I scream at her... I don't know if she knows why I screamed but I was so mad...

I feel physically sick, not at the thought of a dead bird but the thought of one in my own room is making my stomach turn. I keep thinking what if she does it again and hides it or what if it's a rat next time...

I'm gonna kill her......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,957 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

my cat used to do this lots - had to stop letting it out at night.

I remember being told the cat is trying to provide for you by doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I'm the one that provides her with a bowl of ****ing food twice a day!!!!!!!! It's right beside my bed as well!!!!!! If I'd had my glasses on when I saw it I'd say I would have got sick. Thank god for my bad eyesight.

Like she sleeps inside at night and I open the window for her to go out every morning (I can never remember doing it but I do) and cos I hate having the window closed, my room is south-facing so I get all the sun and the stuffiness when the window is closed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Most cats kill stuff if they get the chance, it's what they do. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yep, she is trying to provide for you alright and show you that she is worthy of her place with you. I can understand that you don't want dead birds in your bedroom but that is the nature of the cat.

The only solution I can think of is to keep the bedroom door closed in future and you won't have that problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

You should be angry with yourself, not with your cat. It's in a cat's nature to hunt birds, and birds are at their most vulnerable in nesting season.

"Briseann an dúchas tré shúile an chait."

If you don't want your cat to kill birds, keep her in at night. It doesn't require major self-discipline. She won't like it at first, but she'll get used to it. And it cuts her chances of being killed on the road by about 90pc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

My cat once brought in a half dead baby bird, which was twitching and making a horrible squeaking noise. I had no choice but to take it outside and put it out of its misery, with a brick. Not a nice thing to have to do.
    Maybe you could put a bell around its neck, so birds would hear the cat approaching. Might drive you nuts though.

luckat wrote:
    You should be angry with yourself, not with your cat. It's in a cat's nature to hunt birds, and birds are at their most vulnerable in nesting season.

"Briseann an dúchas tré shúile an chait."

If you don't want your cat to kill birds, keep her in at night. It doesn't require major self-discipline. She won't like it at first, but she'll get used to it. And it cuts her chances of being killed on the road by about 90pc.

It's not even a baby bird (we had a young pigeon last week), it's an adult robin!!!!

I do keep her in at night, she got it this morning and brought it inside. No wonder she was tearing around the room this morning.

I feel sick to my stomach. I have a towel thrown over the thing but I can't touch it, my mother is gonna have to do it. I need a good wash after this, I feel horrible!!!

She also has a bell on her collar.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

I'm surprised you're getting so angry at the cat.
    It's not a person, it's an animal and doesn't know any better, and given the chance, it will do it again.

Just because you let it live in your house and you provide it with food doesn't make it human, it's following its instinct.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Get a hamster and give the cat to someone with a bit of cop on.

I know it's her nature. I don't usually mind her killing things (well I don't like her getting birds but I don't mind rats and mice). But bringing them into my room is crossing the line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Hobble the cat by tying a block of wood between its front legs. Problem solved!

Or maybe you should just get beyond the whole "cute kitty" thing and respect it for what it is - born and bred to kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nala, you'll get used to it. Use a plastic bag and throw the catch out.
    It will happen again so you're the one who must change, your cat will not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Nala wrote:
    I know it's her nature. I don't usually mind her killing things (well I don't like her getting birds but I don't mind rats and mice). But bringing them into my room is crossing the line.
    Has to be a troll. Retarded even by Pets forum standards.

I'm not a troll and I'm not retarded, I have a biology degree!!!

I do love her and I know she's a cat etc, believe me, I've wrestled enough still-alive creatures from her mouth. I just can't believe she'd bring it into the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Nala wrote:
    My cat has really blown it...

She woke me up at 7am this morning running around the room like a lunatic jumping on paper bags. That's fine. She gets a bit giddy sometimes. With my eyes still half closed I stumble out of bed, take the bag from her and go back asleep.

I wake up 10 minutes ago to find a DEAD ROBIN on the floor of my bedroom and feathers all over the place!!! She must have been running around with it when she woke me up earlier and I just didn't see it.

I'm so mad at her. Yes she's a cat, I know it's her nature, she's brought home a million dead (and half-dead) things before but bringing one into the house is crossing the line. She's sitting there looking delighted with herself, as I sit up she starts walkin over to it and I scream at her... I don't know if she knows why I screamed but I was so mad...

I feel physically sick, not at the thought of a dead bird but the thought of one in my own room is making my stomach turn. I keep thinking what if she does it again and hides it or what if it's a rat next time...

I'm gonna kill her......

I'm so ****ing angry, I'm a wild creature that lives in a house with someone who keeps me as a child substitute. Instead of being allowed to be a fierce predator finely tuned by centuries of amazing evolution into a suberb killing machine I'm expected to miaow amusingly and chase a plastic mouse on a piece of string.

This morning I cleverly caught breakfast using all of my guile and instincts but when I brought it in to share with the most important person in my life she screamed manically hurting my sensitive ears. She has been odd all morning since this happened - can anyone advise, maybe I should bring her something with less feathers like a rat ? Please help, my owners odd, irrational behaviour is confusing and upsetting for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Raiser wrote:
    I'm so ****ing angry, I'm a wild creature that lives in a house with someone who keeps me as a child substitute. Instead of being allowed to be a fierce predator finely tuned by centuries of amazing evolution into a suberb killing machine I'm expected to miaow amusingly and chase a plastic mouse on a piece of string.

This morning I cleverly caught breakfast using all of my guile and instincts but when I brought it in to share with the most important person in my life she screamed manically hurting my sensitive ears. She has been odd all morning since this happened - can anyone advise, maybe I should bring her something with less feathers like a rat ? Please help, my owners odd, irrational behaviour is confusing and upsetting for me.

/Salute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

*condescending answer on* hm, if you had gotten up at a more approriate hour, you could have prevented it...*condescending answer off* ;-)

Anyways, it's normal, there's nothing you can do - and at least the bird was dead - my cats have this habit of bringing half-alive animals back - that's not nice...Or you have to screen their comings and goings, to prevent them dragging their prey inside...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

People like you who refuse to except that an pet is an animal shouldn't have pets. Of course the cat will kill things and bring them to their masters, it's what they do. It's one of the only practical reasons to have a cat. You've a problem with that get rid of the animal. You seriously think by having a chat or screaming at the animal you will change it's nature.

I call animal cruelty on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm guessing you have a cat flap that she can go in and out of the house at will? Just get rid of it or make it an exit only flap, you'll be woken up by miaowing in the morning (and any other time she wants to come in) and can see what she has before she comes in and act on it then, but don't try to change the cats instincts.

You should cook it and eat it with her. At least it wont go to waste then;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

OP - Get the cat a bell. Senseless deaths and maimings have been slashed by 90% since my cat started wearing one.

Other posters - The OP doesn't like dead, dismembered animals in the place she sleeps. It hardly makes her an idiot.

Just saw the cat already has a bell, thus making a mockery of my suggestion above :(

• Advertisement

rediguana wrote:
    Other posters - The OP doesn't like dead, dismembered animals in the place she sleeps. It hardly makes her an idiot.

Hope she's a vegetarian then, otherwise it makes her something else entirely.

Boston wrote:
    People like you who refuse to except that an pet is an animal shouldn't have pets. Of course the cat will kill things and bring them to their masters, it's what they do. It's one of the only practical reasons to have a cat. You've a problem with that get rid of the animal. You seriously think by having a chat or screaming at the animal you will change it's nature.

I call animal cruelty on you.

I have said THREE TIMES in this thread that I know she is a cat ad I know it is her nature.
    Either you can't read or you have selective eyesight.

If you think I'm cruel to my animals, have a look at my post in the photos thread, do they look like ill-treated animals to you?

If I wasn't willing to accept animals for what they are I wouldn't have 4 birds that wake me up at dawn every morning when they join in with the wild birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Jesus every time you open your fridge or freezer you must puke your brains out, all the dead animals in there.

Your buthcher must run and hide whenever he sees you in case of being a target of one of these tantrums

Get over it, the cat is one of the most amazing hunters on the planet. Its the cats home too you know

rediguana wrote:

Thank you!!!!!!!

The majority of people so far have treated me like some sort of thick who doesn't know that cats kill things. I've had cats since I was 4 (I'm 21 now).

I made this thread not because I couldn't believe my cat killed something, I made it because I feel physically sick at having a dead wild animal beside my bed.

And before anyone starts at me over feeling sick about a dead animal- yes I have seen them before, I had to hold my own cat while she died and have buried countless hamsters, rabbits etc. But this is a dead wild animal that had blood on it.

Nala wrote:
    If I wasn't willing to accept animals for what they are I wouldn't have 4 birds that wake me up at dawn every morning when they join in with the wild birds.

You keep chickens? or old B*witched albums? Or the rare cage-bodied Amazonian housewarbler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭seastar

I feel for you Nala. I have a cat too and it really freaks me out when she kills things. I got her a bell, thinking that would put a stop to it, but last week she brought back a baby wren. To my shame, I shouted at her. I was very sorry afterwards, but it was my natural reaction.

You can't change her though. You'll just have to accept that sometimes she will do this.

Vegeta wrote:
    Jesus every time you open your fridge or freezer you must puke your brains out, all the dead animals in there.

Your buthcher must run and hide whenever he sees you in case of being a target of one of these tantrums

First of all, if there's anyone that loves eating meat, it's me.

I am not afraid of dead animals. I have dissected/watched dissections of frogs, pigeons, fish, and rabbits at university. But they had been sterilised. They were in a laboratory. This is in my bedroom and this bird is far from sterile.

No I don't keep chickens (i used to), I have a budgie, a cockatiel and 2 zebra finches. And a couple of old B*witched albums as well, as it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

My neighbours cat had kittens and she had them in a basket in the kitchen, her husbands lurcher let itself in the back door and killed all six kittens. Birds eat worms, cats eat birds, dogs eat cats. Its. What. Animals. Do. Its a nuisance when they leave them in your bedroom, but I guess it could be worse - my labrador puked in the hall a few weeks ago and my wife walked in it in her bare feet. I laughed so much I nearly puked too.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Nala, because of some of your other wise and informative posts here I thought you understood animals. I can't understand why you are angry. The cat does n't know it is "crossing the line" by bringing things into the house. My brother has three cats and they 're always bringing in half dead birds into the house. I can understand you being upset at such a sight as I would be myself. Take some of the advice above and try not to be angry at the cat for being just that. :)

• Advertisement

Rigsby wrote:
    Nala, because of some of your other wise and informative posts here I thought you understood animals. I can't understand why you are angry. The cat does n't know it is "crossing the line" by bringing things into the house. My brother has three cats and they 're always bringing in half dead birds into the house. I can understand you being upset at such a sight as I would be myself. Take some of the advice above and try not to be angry at the cat for being just that. :)

She was crying at the window to be let in again within 10 minutes so at least my screaming didn't seem to bother her too much. I only screamed at her when she started walking over to it (thought she was gonna grab it and bring it up onto my bed) so hopefully she knows why she is in trouble. I'm not really angry at her anymore. Just disgusted. I'm not squeamish at animals, I've watched my own cats give birth, I've watched them die in my own arms, like I said I've buried plenty of hamsters, rabbits etc, it's just waking up and finding a dead bird beside my bed doesn't really do it for me. I'm just glad it wasn't a wild rat, now they are filthy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement