Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodcrest questions

Options
  • 17-05-2007 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

So....I just got given two woodcrests. :eek:

They're engineering samples :eek:, so I presume that means they're multi unlocked. The actual chip says very little on it. The guy that gave them to me says they're 2.66GHz stock chips with 1333 fsb. Anyway, I have a Q6600 @ 3GHz at the moment and was wondering if I could overclock these puppies to somewhere that might rival the Q6600 for performance? (they have been used before, but only at stock)

Is 3.6GHz totally unreasonable to expect?

I have a ninja and P5W DH Deluxe mobo.

Edit: last question: How much is one of these reasonably worth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Are they Xeons or desktop chips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Hi, being a eng sample. it is more then likely pulled from a great die batch.

3.6 is not unreasonable for the 5150 with adequate cooling.

They chips retail for 450£ in the uk. So you can work that one out.

Also, how do you expect a socket 711/479 chip to work on that board? As im about 75% sure they wont. for one, your fsb is 1066. the 5150 is 1333.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

SyxPak wrote:
    Are they Xeons or desktop chips?

Pretty sure they're Xeons. Plucked (Note: not stolen) from a server in the office.
    anti wrote:
    Also, how do you expect a socket 711/479 chip to work on that board? As im about 75% sure they wont. for one, your fsb is 1066. the 5150 is 1333.

Thanks for the answers Anti.

I'm about 80% (edit: and falling) sure it's socket 775. If it's an engineering sample, can I not make the fsb / multi whatever I want?

Okay cool, as there are two types of woodcrest's.

As for the fsb, you might have to set it to 1333mhz with the current chip. Then put in the new chip. And hopfully it should work. Sure let us know anyway :D

Looks very much like they're socket 771 alright. I got the spec sheet and it says: Dual Core Xeon Processor 2.66GHz with 4MB shared Cache, 1333MHz FSB, B0 stepping (Code-named Woodcrest).

Blackford chipset seems to confirm it alright...

:(

• Advertisement

Damn, thats a shame alright. But still, you can make some nice money on them. Just seen them on ebay for 750£

Confirmed: Looks exactly like this (5160):

rev-xeon5160-chipbotSM.jpg

and not at all like this (6600):

rev-e6600-chiptbotLG.jpg

What the hell am I going to do with these?

Anti wrote:
    Damn, thats a shame alright. But still, you can make some nice money on them. Just seen them on ebay for 750£

£750 you say, eh? *rubs chin*

Indeed :)

So what would it take to build a box around these lads? I found a dual cpu motherboard on dabs for 288 euro, but it's some weird form factor (rack?) - SSI CEB. Where would I get a case for that?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Build a case, or mod the motherboard tray of an existing case :)

btw, Why not sell them? Surely you dont need more power than a 3ghz Quad core?! :D

Sounds reasonable enough. I posted in the building and upgrading forum.

conzymaher wrote:
    btw, Why not sell them? Surely you dont need more power than a 3ghz Quad core?! :D

Truth.com

Got them as a bit of a bonus in work. Would feel kinda cheeky selling them tbh. Still though, if anyone wants to make me an offer. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Anti wrote:
    your fsb is 1066. the 5150 is 1333.

fsb of the chip does not really matter most new boards support both and you can allso mod 1066 chips to run at 1333 now .

if i was you i would sell them and keep the money for next rig or buy a 2nd rig :D

awhir wrote:
    if i was you i would sell them and keep the money for next rig or buy a 2nd rig :D

Upon further reflection, I have decided to sell them. I'll be using the money to buy computer hardware....so the bonus is still computer hardware related. :D

I'm thinking 600 euro for the two for a quick sale. Does that sound reasonable? Will post on adverts in the morning.

think you will get more/faster sale on ebay.

as not many people on brds would want a sever chip me thniks

probly wrong.

Nah, you're probably right. I'm changing my mind all the time though....

Chosen found this motherboard on elara. If I sold my current Q6600 + board + ram, I could easily buy this board + ram. The thought of multi-unlocked is really enticing me at the moment.

Thoughts welcome on this idea. :)

:( but its not gona overlcock well.

as they are sever boards and they wouldent have tweaked bioses to please the usall overclockers .

well thats what me thinks.

sell iT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

What you need is a Dell Precision workstation to put them in = powerful PC. But as awhir rightly says, server/workstation boards don't usually have a lot of tweaking options :(

I'll have a cheap dual socket Dell PowerEdge 1900 for sale in a week if you want to build a beast of a machine ;)

WizZard wrote:
    cheap

How cheap is cheap? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

Kannie... one of the SuperMicro boards ZDAE(not sure about product code)... or whatever has the ability to use clockgen. I've seen Dual Clovertons on Benching forums hit 3.3Ghz etc at default vcore. As a server chip it will go a lot farther on stock vcore than a desktop.

However, the catch is that your ES sample is a B0 stepping. ie an early ES. So that MAY work against you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I don't think you're allowed mention that they're ESes in your eBay auction. Intel like to try get away with telling people that ESes will always remain their property, you're handling stolen goods, etc.

Basically they might get your auction pulled.

My last 3500+ was a Eng sample too. And i had no problem selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

FB-DIMMs are required.

Expensive, high latency, suck more juice.

Sell the chips, save the money and buy a 4x4 next year.

Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Anti wrote:
    My last 3500+ was a Eng sample too. And i had no problem selling it.

Ah ok cool. I have read of quite a few eBay auctions being pulled when they were selling Intel ES chips in the past. Just a heads up

Advertisement