Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Top 100 All Time PC Games

Options
  • 17-05-2007 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

Right, inspired by this thread and the amount or arguing over what should go where, I thought it'd be nice to see how the Top 100 list of pc games would look if chosen by Boardsies.

So here's what I want people to do:

Create a list of 10 PC games that you think should be on the list. You can only put down one or two if you want, but I'm putting a maximum limit of 10 to make things easier on myself.

The list you create should be in order, so of the ten you choose, No 1 will be your favourite and No. 10 will be your not so favourite.

Then, Pm me with your list. You don't have to do anything fancy, like say "Hello" or anything, just send me a list of games. And because you Pm me, it'll add a bit of excitement to the whole event because nobody but me will know who's winning, until the end (plus, if I don't like the outcome, I can doctor the results :p ).

Once you have Pm'd me, I'll add your name to this post, so at least people will know that their posts have been counted.

I'm going to put a deadline of 10:00am on the 1st June. That's just over two weeks away so it's plenty of time. Anything recieved after that date will be ignored and I'll put you name up on this post as a reminder to other idiots to try and follow deadlines!

The marking of the games will be thus: In your lists, your top rated game will recieve 10 points, the second game gets 9, third get 8 etc. So when I'm done, I'll be able to add up the points for all the games and post up the final list.

I haven't fully thought this out because I'm still a little drunk from last night, and I'm also trying to make my boss think that I'm working, so if you see any problems with this then feel free to berate me.

And feel free to try and pimp your facourite game here BUT DON'T USE THIS THREAD TO JUST LIST GAMES!!!! If you want to mention a game here you MUST write something about it! Anything will do, just put a little effort into it.

Right, I think that's about it. This post may change later on when I sober up and read through it, so be wary of that!!!

[UPDATE] The following people have sent in their nominations. If you've sent a pm to me and you're not on the list, then you're an idiot and got my name wrong! Send it again.

Humanji (that's me), R3nu4l, Tar.Aldarion, Kiith, Kaimera, The Bollox, SeantheMan, Duras, Superfly, NekkidBibleMan, Brav, Maximilian, JCDenton, Oman, Creature, Retr0gamer, super_furry, BadCharlie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Grand theft Auto is the best game :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

championship manager 97/98

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Dammit Helix, didn't you just read what I said!!! AAAAHHHHHHHHH I feel like I've taken crazy pills!!!

And I'm watching you DrDre! I should of put a minimum amount of words for these posts too :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Great idea. PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

To make things even more interesting, and to kill more of you free time here is what I propose: as the nominations are sent only to you but you have to keep us posted and daily update the top 10 in this thread.

What say you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Sounds like a great idea :D

Only thing id reccomend is to change the scoring

As if say 1 game got 3 #1 votes, i could still be beat by a game that got voted 3rd x3times and 1 4th place

Maybe the top 3 spots should get a higher value,than the other seven, and a gap between each of the top 3 :rolleyes:

Either way, its a good idea youve had :D
    This will waste a few mins in work for me till lunch while i try think of my top 10 to pm you :)

Also, i think each member should..if they are going to mention a game (which would be thier number 1 im presuming) has to write something about it as you say, to back up why they rate it so high :D

Duras wrote:
    To make things even more interesting, and to kill more of you free time here is what I propose: as the nominations are sent only to you but you have to keep us posted and daily update the top 10 in this thread.

What say you?
    If I can I will. Good thinking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

PM sent

SeantheMan wrote:
    Sounds like a great idea :D

Only thing id reccomend is to change the scoring

As if say 1 game got 3 #1 votes, i could still be beat by a game that got voted 3rd x3times and 1 4th place

Maybe the top 3 spots should get a higher value,than the other seven, and a gap between each of the top 3 :rolleyes:

Either way, its a good idea youve had :D
    This will waste a few mins in work for me till lunch while i try think of my top 10 to pm you :)

That sounds like waaaayyyy to much thinking. If you want to think up a fairer scoring system then I'll happily use it, but at the mo, the current one involves little brain power on my part and thus keeps me happy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

humanji wrote:
    Dammit Helix, didn't you just read what I said!!! AAAAHHHHHHHHH I feel like I've taken crazy pills!!!

surely thats all that needs to be said about cm97/98 tho

lets be fair

• Advertisement

Helix wrote:
    surely thats all that needs to be said about cm97/98 tho

lets be fair
    Meh!

Oh, and I've decided against posting a daily top 10 list. You may disagree, but my thinking is that people will see the top 10 and may be influenced by it, or to change it. So anonimity is the key!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

Can we vote _against_ games? And have those votes subtracted from their total? :) There are one or two in particular I'm thinking of here ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

there's so.much.politics!

however I do like the subtraction idea

Id argue against that

Id suggest another poll after this for topics such as the "worst PC games" or "most overrated PC games" in which those posts could be useful

SeantheMan wrote:
    Id argue against that

Id suggest another poll after this for topics such as the "worst PC games" or "most overrated PC games" in which those posts could be useful
    I can only assume you're volunteering to do those polls then? :D

humanji wrote:
    I can only assume you're volunteering to do those polls then? :D

After this one has finished and depending upon the response :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Stickied.

Woohoo! My first sticky! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Just sent My top 10.

Quite hard to think of which ones to include.
    At first I forgot it was just PC games and had super mario and everything included!

Some great choices by people so far, and even though just over 10 people have voted so far, we've got some clear favourites. I won't go into details, but I will mention that Solitaire is currently beating Battlefield 1942 and World Of Warcraft :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Here's a site that could jog your memory:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/pc/scores/

it's a site that amalgamates the scores from popular review sources

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Just a question, in the interest of fairness, can you group all of the championship and football managers into one game so as different seasons dont destroy the poll.

If not championship manager 99/00

Bubs101 wrote:
    Just a question, in the interest of fairness, can you group all of the championship and football managers into one game so as different seasons dont destroy the poll.

Well they are different games, technically. But to be honest, I don't really play them. If nobody has any objections, they I may as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Really wanted to put Heretic II top, but WoW just edges it out for me.

Time to install Heretic II again though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Bubs101 wrote:

You could maybe group them as CM pre-2004 and FM post-2004 if we're just talking about Sports Interactive CM ?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

Well, well? What are the results so far?

Duras wrote:
    Well, well? What are the results so far?
    I'm keeping it under wraps until the grand unveiling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Go Doom!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

How many votes so far

• Advertisement

Right, sadly, I can't edit my original post anymore, so I'll have to create a new post when someone sends in their nominations. Added to the list are: bugler, quarryman and johnny_ultimate, bringing the number of people who could be arsed to 21. I'm now glad that I didn't ask people to nominate only 1 game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement