Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT results

• 17-05-2007 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

Out today, any one do the GAMSATs this year?

Any idea of what will be needed to get in?

I was a bit confused, didn't see the percentile graph and thought my score was my percentile. Turns out it's not. Phew.

(posted this on postgrad forum too, sorry.... didn't know which would be more appropriate!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

My cousin was doing them too but I dont think he's got them yet. 3000 people going for 80 places,scary stuff! Bets of luck mloc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

panda100 wrote:
    My cousin was doing them too but I dont think he's got them yet. 3000 people going for 80 places,scary stuff! Bets of luck mloc.

I think I might, somehow, have pulled it off. From what I can see from this graph thing... I couldn't actually believe it but... 99th percentile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 blipp

Its 60 places not 80!! Even worse!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

mloc wrote:
    I think I might, somehow, have pulled it off. From what I can see from this graph thing... I couldn't actually believe it but... 99th percentile!

**** it's harder than the leaving to get in! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dillonrabbit

Hi guys, congrats on your great results! Does anyone have any ideas about how the RCSI are going to allocate their places? Will it be the top 60 gamsat scores? theres talk of a cut off score, with the places being raffled to those who make it, has anyone heard any more about this?

What about the personal statements that the RCSI required for their applications will they be taken into account?

Sorry for all the questions but this is torture for those of us who (like me - 85 percentile) don't yet know if we've gotten a high enough gamsat result and its very hard to get straight answer from CAO or Rcsi.

Hope someone can help, thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

What about the personal statements that the RCSI required for their applications will they be taken into account?

AFAIK, the sole criteria for entry into graduate medicine programs through the CAO is the GAMSAT score (and a 2.1 in your degree also). The personal statements that were required by RCSI were not related to the CAO entry system and are part of a seperate internal graduate entry system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 blipp

30 places in UL and 30 in RCSI. So I imagine they will take the top 60 and allocatate them based on preferences.

Till August!! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Echani

Congrats mloc, you're 1% higher than me ;) There's been a good bit of discussion of this over on the RCSI forum on New Media Medicine, so I'll try to answer whatever I can (based on what we've either found out or conjectured)
    Hi guys, congrats on your great results! Does anyone have any ideas about how the RCSI are going to allocate their places? Will it be the top 60 gamsat scores? theres talk of a cut off score, with the places being raffled to those who make it, has anyone heard any more about this?

RCSI are going on GAMSAT results only from what I've gathered - the seperate application from their website seems to be redundant, and I plan to chase my €100 back as soon as they send out their offers. Apparently, they've even broadened the entry criteria to include candidates with a 2.2 degree, rather than 2.1+. Like mloc said, all the other stuff they had us running around to get is no longer being factored in. :cool:

They haven't quite elaborated on how they're selecting candidates - I know people have mentioned a cutoff / random selection process, but that seems a bit weird to me. I'd have thought it'd make more sense to take the top 60 candidates and either assign the cutoff score based on their scores, or else not have a cutoff at all (as was the case last year with UCD's 13 places). I'm not sure how they're going about it, but I won't be too happy if it's random selection. Either way, RCSI said they should be sending offers in July when people sitting their finals at the moment have their degree results, and UL are waiting till August.

The interesting bit is from the CAO site; as of Feb 1st there were 324 1st choices for GM001, and 460 mentions. Of the 324, about 100 selected UL as their first choice when that option came up. So the odds aren't quite as nasty :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Echani

Oh and one last thing, someone else from the other forum was at the UL information evening last night, and they were given the following info

- Admissions person in UL said that there were 325 applicants for GEP to UL in total, 100 were first preferences
    - fees are likely to be between 10K and 12K per year - no more, no less
    - CAO offers will be made during "round 0" - early August at the earliest
    - Offers are made based on GAMSAT score i.e. the people with the top scores will be offered places, there is no cut-off and lottery-type system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fionamce

mloc wrote: »
    Out today, any one do the GAMSATs this year?

Any idea of what will be needed to get in?

I was a bit confused, didn't see the percentile graph and thought my score was my percentile. Turns out it's not. Phew.

(posted this on postgrad forum too, sorry.... didn't know which would be more appropriate!)

Hiya i'm doin the GAMSATs in March. ....any advice/tips??

• Advertisement
Advertisement