Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flash IDE drive laptop "mod"

• 17-05-2007 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭

Using a big word for what I expect to be a fairly standard procedure (dare I even call it a "mod"!), but if you're after getting some of that fabled battery endurance (7-8 hours) typical of Windows CE HPCs/Palmtops for your conventional WinXP laptop, and (i) you don't mind sacrificing read/write speed and (ii) don't need Gigs and Gigs of drive space, can I heartily recommend you to migrate to a flash-based 2,5" IDE hard drive.

I was recently pondering and pondering what next gadget to get after doing a complete clear out of the den/office, and quite fancied a PPC or the like to use as a WiFi'd web tablet and eBook reader. In the end, I just wasn't happy with screen size or resolution available at my budget, even second-hand (€200 or so).

So I got myself an old touchscreen laptop (Celeron 400, 128MB, 6GB HDD, Win98SE) with a battery good for about 1 hour, and replaced the 2,5" HDD with a 4GB Flash IDE one (I needed to shock-proof the lappy first, before thinking about buying a new 6 cell long-lasting battery) and Lo & Behold... 1 hour and 53 minutes later, with WiFi on all the time, the screen went dark!

Now planning to temporarily migrate the 2,5" Flash IDE into my D600 to see what kind of mileage I can get out of the main + modular batteries (currently good for about 4,5 hours under XP Pro).

Advertisement