Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gormless

Options
  • 17-05-2007 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭

How come there is a gormless, but not a gormfull? what does gorm mean, does anyone know? I know there are a few other examples of words which seem to be negative versions of a positive word, but the positive form isn't in usage - sorry I can't think of any examples off the top of my head - is there a name for this phenomenon?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This might explain it.

It's like how you can be underwhelmed and overwhelmed, but never just whelmed! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Faith wrote:
    This might explain it.

It's like how you can be underwhelmed and overwhelmed, but never just whelmed! :D

Thank You!

I've been trying to explain this for years, but could never think of an example!

edit: P G Wodehouse’s “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled”

Funnily enough, this is what started me thinking about this subject a few years back. Gotta love those books.

Advertisement