Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posters on telegraph poles, lamp posts etc.

Options
  • 17-05-2007 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

What is the law on putting up large election posters on telegraph poles, street lamps etc. as Michael McDowell was photographed doing yesterday ?

Do the items on which these posters are placed not belong to private concerns (e.g. ESB, phone companies and so on) and, as such, do any fly-posters not require advance written permission to place anything on them ? That is the law in the UK and other EU states. Is it not also the law in Ireland ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭AidoCQS

I want to be a fly on the wall when that call goes into Ranelagh Garda station:

Senator: ''Hello, this a concerned citizen against littering, can you send down a squad car to a telephone pole there in Ranelagh square to arrest the minister for Justice for putting up illegal posters''

Desk Sargeant on Duty: ''Eh....''

Can anybody complete the senior Garda's reply in language suitable for boards.ie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

AidoCQS wrote:

Senator: ''Hello, this a concerned citizen against littering, can you send down a squad car to a telephone pole there in Ranelagh square to arrest the minister for Justice for putting up illegal posters''

Can anybody complete the senior Garda's reply in language suitable for boards.ie ?

It would probably be
    " We only have one patrol car and it is in for servicing today"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Senator

Are you sure it wouldn't be Trevor Sergeant on duty ? :)

I take it then nobody knows the score.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Senator wrote:
    I take it then nobody knows the score.

Ask the Minister for Justice. I'm sure he knows. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Just slightly off the topic what is annoying me are the number of road signs and in some cases traffics likes that are blocked or obscured by these posters. I like the Greens proposal that the numbers of posters is limited going forward.

• Advertisement

Rule here is that you cannot put a poster on a council or road sign, only on telegraph poles. €10 fine for each offending poster. Dunno if its enforced, though we have moved all ours to comply, there's a few rivals who simply left them up.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Isn't there a minimum height that the posters have to be off the ground? If so, John Bailey might be in a spot of bother for all his posters on Deansgrange Road. Nice triangular ones too they are, with a pointy corner sticking out just at child head height. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Clondalkin village and Monastery Road are plastered with yellow diamond-shaped Spain (SF) and Harney (PD) posters. Some of the SF ones are on road sign posts. All of them mean that drivers are less likely to see the very similar sized yellow diamond shapes we have chosen to use for warning road signs in this country :rolleyes:

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You could just go the whole hog like Micheal Lowry in Tipp North and hire loads of those huge roadworks message signs with his election speil on them and then proceed to dump them all over north Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

AidoCQS wrote:

Yeah....

Garda reply:"Minister for Wha'?" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I heard before that there is a bring centre after the election for all of these. Is it true that you get 10 euro for every sign you bring in after the election is over?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Well, here's one Election Poster you'll never mistake for a Road Sign Ninja900, John Bracken, independent candidate for Laois/Offaly :

johnbrackenuj4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

With regard to the minimum height of posters, here in Limerick minimum height is 7 ft. however this rule has been raped and scraped by the Fianna Fail party and the Pee Dees.

Kieran O'Donnell is also guilty of it too but his posters went up before bonfire night and subsequently went walkies as they were too easy to reach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I managed to get pic of this, view is blocked of oncoming traffic in nearest lane when turning right.
    In pic, i'm not even halfway across the yellow box, so as i get nearer to standard right turn in that pic, the view gets worse and is dangerous.
    Image038.jpg

Advertisement