Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbing poll - spinning or grinding?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

Dunno If this is at all relevant, I cycle to school everyday which happens to be a steep hill, Initially i thought the only way was to put it in the max gear and stand and really push myself but for the last 6 months I've dropped a few gears and sat down the whole way up, That way for the straight towards my school i had plenty of energy to accelerate to school, whereas before after the hill i was too tired to accelerate and therefore late for school everyday but the spinning technique kept me on time! So I suppose I recommend spinning!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Did the Wicklow 200 there the other weekend and was very glad to be able to spin up the climbs on my triple. Passed a lot more people with doubles than the other way around. Slieve Maan was the only one I found in any way difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I'm a grinder and I get teased mesciously abou it. I know all the science says spinning is less tiring but it knackers me. I do have very very strong legs though which may account for the ease at which I grind up hills.

b'ground: I;ve been cycling 2 years for endurance triathlon, I'm short and a bit on the heavy side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

I'm a grinder and I get teased mesciously abou it. I know all the science says spinning is less tiring but it knackers me. I do have very very strong legs though which may account for the ease at which I grind up hills.

Muscles develop depending on how you use them. Grind and you'll develop short stocky muscles that are able to deliver a lot of power for a relatively short duration. Spinning results in longer muscles that although not capable of churning out loads of power are able to sustain a constant power output for longer.

Compare the muscle structure of a top weight lifter to a top swimmer for example.

Advertisement