Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making friends away from the scene

Options
  • 17-05-2007 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I was just wondering how people mate friends with other gay guys outside the gay scene (ie bars clubs etc). I've recently come out of a long term relationship (6yrs) and have found the scene a bit tough to take after such a long break. My friends still go out on the scene every weekend but I'm finding it a bit boring and clicky. And the whole thinks seems to revolve around drink and drugs

How else am I to make friends with like minded gay guys in Dublin?

Cheers
    T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

I'd suggest checking out websites like QueerID and Gaire. If you get involved in the Message boards you can make new friendships on and off the scene.

There are also a few gay groups for Hill walkers, footballers(Dublin Devils), rugby team (Emerald Warriors). I think you'll find more info on outhouse.ie. There is even a Gay Star Trek club listed there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

tomdub wrote:
    How else am I to make friends with like minded gay guys in Dublin?

No offence, but why do any new friends have to be gay? What's wrong with making friends with the odd straight person?; we can be fun friends too you know!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Mawg

If you're in college you could join a LGBT society. The members aren't necessarily on the scene, and when you meet with them you're in a totally different environment to a gay bar. It's relaxed, you're there to chat and make friends rather than to pull or take drugs. Even if you're not a student, many colleges allow non-students join their societies. Societies will also organise events, so you'll have to oppertunity to meet other like-minded people from different colleges arouond the country. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I've never been a fan of the 'scene'. Unfortunetly it is incredibly hard if your in a rural location and not on travelling to 'the scene' to meet like minded people.

Seahorse - yes it's great having straight friends, but there are things that you can only really discuss with other people who share your sexuality. No matter how understanding a straight person is - they will never fully empathise as much as someone with the shared experience.

Gaire is an ok to meet people, Gaydar seems to be mostly about cruising and sex only for the most part.

Advertisement