Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ahern v Kenny tonight

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

ENDA KENNY COMPARING HIMSELF TO JKF (AGAIN) AND NOW ITS AMBRAHAM LINCON!!!!!!!!!!!!

rofl:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Right thats it.

Im going to go back in time and advise myself that my time would have been more productive cleaning the toilet....

Should watch a recording of this any time i have trouble falling asleep.

2 mins of Irish from enda.

2 and half words from Bertie...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

galactus wrote:
    POW! Enda lands a right hook with a cupla focal.

ah Question Time is still on, thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,269 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Berti's better at the old spin, and handling the attacks, figures seem to deflected nicely to the positive aspects of each topic

Enda interrupting just came across as desperate attempts to break berti's flow

The gealge seemed to be there as a prepared thing to win gealtacht votes

Berti's irish "thank you" was a funny touch, a little desperate though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

galactus wrote:
    POW! Enda lands a right hook with a cupla focal.

Did you hear Berties response ? that really floored him...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

He wasn't AFAIK. The problem is that he did not distinguish himself in the job.

Lolz your complaints have been noted and discarded. If you can tell me something distinguishable about the present minister for trade and tourism The fact is he did his job without forcing himself into the spotlight or messing up enough for the media to hound him the way ministers in the last cabinet have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Taxi for Bertie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

as an ff supporter i'm very happy with bertie's performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

He broke out the Gaeilge! Cheap stunt, in my book.

I wasn't overly impressed by either, to be honest. Good criticism of Fianna Fail by Enda Kenny, but his policies don't seem to hold much water either.

I think I'll be voting for Fianna Fail still. It is a harder decision now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

DaveMcG wrote:
    most people, who don't bother reporting crimes anymore because of the state of the justice system.

True, as well as Gardai who avoid using Pulse and the paperwork if they can get away with it. A lot of crime that is reported is answered by the standard: "we'll get the squad car to drive past there in a short while" and it seldom shows up.

On the point of Miriam being partial to FF, it does sound like that at times, saying "Enda Kenny and Taoiseach", and she keeps addressing questions to Bertie with a bigger lead up and showing more reverence.

Text's to 53799 .... RTE making money from a National Election debate(?!), they never miss a beat !!!!

Redspider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Pretty dire from both of them. They should have had a formal debate like they do in the US with allocated time given to each leader without interuptions.

I do think Enda did the better closing statement though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Pretty hard to 'screw up' being Minister for Tourism and Trade for 3 years

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

....and vice versa

Go away outta it - Bertie is a LOT more guilty of it. He completely went ape and wouldnt stop - poor Enda just listened and didnt rise. I think he should have slightly and told him to shut up and let him get his point across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Jackz wrote:
    Kenny with his smiling and smug shaking his head, he has never achieved anytihng. Who does this man appeal to?

How about anyone that doesn't want to vote for a corrupt, scumbag, lying bas*tard?

Sums up Bertie IMO.

How about anyone that doesn't like crap healthcare, justice, planning, infrastructure (think beyond roads to broadband and public transport which the NDP fails to sufficiently fund, especially broadband which FF sees as a non-issue but thinks we can have knowledge based economy. How are we going to get the knowledge out of the country, dialup?). Crappy building regulations, signing up to Kyoto but doing nothing so we end up paying a fortune in carbon credits. Not building an incinerator. Falsely increasing electricity prices to encourage competition (which failed so we are just left with high energy costs).

I could go on but I couldn't be arsed, not like you'll change your mind anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

He wasn't AFAIK. The problem is that he did not distinguish himself in the job. At all. He din't really do anything.

Well I suppose he didn't have the two models and fancy spun photo shoot that has distinguished this Government :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

someone stick up a poll

Bertie
    Enda
    Draw

i dont know how to do it!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Score draw, but maybe Bertie squeaked it. Nothing knew, no fatal flaws by either men. Enda may have edged Angola, but Bertie scored well with the economy.

But that wont help Enda Kenny. I felt he really, really, really had to knock out Bertie. Bertie Ahern is said to have lost the debates against Bruton and Noonan, but he has stood up well and gave back plenty. Well versed in the possible holes in the "contract"

The key thing is, people have 7 days to parse and analyse the debate. They only had a couple of days in the previous debates before they went to the polls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Onkle wrote:
    Miriam's looking well too...
    Sharon Ni Bheolain was looking fantastic tonight on 6.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

gandalf wrote:
    Well I suppose he didn't have the two models and fancy spun photo shoot that has distinguished this Government :rolleyes:

generating employment..... models need to work too:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

How about anyone that doesn't want to vote for a corrupt, scumbag, lying bas*tard?

Sums up Bertie IMO.

How about anyone that doesn't like crap healthcare, justice, planning, infrastructure (think beyond roads to broadband and public transport which the NDP fails to sufficiently fund, especially broadband which FF sees as a non-issue but thinks we can have knowledge based economy. How are we going to get the knowledge out of the country, dialup?). Crappy building regulations, signing up to Kyoto but doing nothing so we end up paying a fortune in carbon credits. Not building an incinerator. Falsely increasing electricity prices to encourage competition (which failed so we are just left with high energy costs).

Couldnt agree more,if people vote this party full or corruption back in i give up totally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

brim4brim wrote:

Sums up Bertie IMO.

All very very valid points, but has he convinced the people that he can do a better job?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I declare this a draw, with little blood spilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

maoleary wrote:
    God I hope ppl don't do anything stupid and vote the Soldiers of Failure back in. Another 10 years of stealth tax.

You'd swear that we actually paid out a lot of tax in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Excellent closing statements at the end. It really summed up both parties.

I guess if you want us to stay corrupt, greedy, overpriced, scared to death of our hospitals and afraid that FF will ruin everything, then you know what to do.

How do you make a formal complaint against The_Minister for telling a poster he was talking bollix, that was uncalled for and he was not using the CSO figures himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

gandalf wrote:
    Pretty dire from both of them. They should have had a formal debate like they do in the US with allocated time given to each leader without interuptions.

I do think Enda did the better closing statement though.

Maybe if he was American! Jesus it was cheesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I thought Enda was a muppet before this debate but a i thought i would give him a chance as i had never seen or heard more than a few mins from him before...
    Im more convinced than ever that there is no way i can vote for Fine Gael... in fact.. i was planning on FF for first/second choice and the greens for third but Since a vote for the greens looks like its a vote for rainbow which means enda in power.. i cant do it!!
    Its FF all the way for me...

Although... why in Gods name can we not have FF & FG in power.. Enda as Tanaiste.... they both have ideas that would benefit us all but Enda is a muppet who should not run Government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ballyarse

i can't believe the attitude of people on this forum believing Enda won the health service section of the debate. He would take money which Bertie's said is already allocated to services for cervical cancer etc. in order to provide excess numbers of beds which he will have nowhere to allocate them to. A fine gael/ labour government one without cancer treatments but at least you'll have a bed to house your rotting lifeless cancerous corpse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

All of Bertie's 1997 and 2002 promises 'have been costed' or are in 'public tribunal'. He's a joke. A public tribunal won't get you from Dublin city centre to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

nesf wrote:
    You'd swear that we actually paid out a lot of tax in this country.

VAT, PAYE, PRSI, 3rd level "registration" fees, motor tax, tax on fuel, tax on booze, VRT. We may have low PAYE, but we get screwed with all the others. Are you completely doped up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

ballyarse wrote:
    i can't believe the attitude of people on this forum believing Enda won the health service section of the debate. He would take money which Bertie's said is already allocated to services for cervical cancer etc. in order to provide excess numbers of beds which he will have nowhere to allocate them to. A fine gael/ labour government one without cancer treatments but at least you'll have a bed to house your rotting lifeless cancerous corpse.

is that the truth or are you taking bertie's word for that?!

that you fell for that one...

Advertisement