Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ahern v Kenny tonight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Is it not also true that we have more take home pay though than almost anyone else in Europe... so after all our stealth taxes etc.. we still have more money to spend than our European bretheren.... especially the UK which is the market most similar to ours and poverty is everywhere.

Yes, I would probably make more money in Ireland than Holland, but yet I'm still in Holland.

In Holland bills are lower, property is cheaper, I have a 10 minute commute, hospitals rooms are like hotels, public transport works, schools and shops are nearby, parks are excellent.

And at the end of the day, people in Ireland, with their higher take home pay, are building up massive debts compared to Dutch people. Because life in Ireland is unaffordable and unsustainable.

You can keep Bertie's banana republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ballyarse

If you want to believe that the taoiseach of a country has no idea where billions of euro is being allocated thats your choice personally my own uncle died from cancer and thankfully my aunt who contracted it in the same year recovered I would not like to see financial resources being extracted from our cancer services to excess beds that ENDA KENNY HAS NOWHERE TO PUT.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

While Europeans pay a higher percentage of tax in one at least they know how much has been taken from them on a weekly basis. Every time we go to purchase something, be it food, clothes, a car or house, we get shafted.

Not true Brian, stealth taxes are pretty much european wide, and have been for a lot longer that the have been here. Spain, France and Germany for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

mickd wrote:
    this coming from the man who wants to abolish compulsory Irish. There is nothing that this fraud will not say or try to get into power.
    Maybe because Irish students don't give a flying fsck about it, because they can't speak the language and an obscenely high number of students either fail the subject in the leaving cert or skip/avoid it altogether? Giving students the choice to do Irish language courses, or do something they may be better suited to instead, seems like a pragmatic, sensible thing to do.

Unlike just blindly adhering to a doctrine of linguistic fascism just for the sake of it, which you seem to be advocating.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

maoleary wrote:
    Prove to me that Bertie could have done better, prove to me that Bertie did everything he could, but couldnt fix up a school in his own constituency where kids cross the road between classes and play in a carpark

What? Of course he could have done better, every single Government we've ever had "could have done better" because it's impossible for any Government to fix everything and you can pick and choose what issues should be prioritised based on your personal politics which might not agree with any said Government. Ask substantial questions that might actually be answerable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

ballyarse wrote:
    If you want to believe that the taoiseach of a country has no idea where billions of euro is being allocated thats your choice personally my own uncle died from cancer and thankfully my aunt who contracted it in the same year recovered I would not like to see financial resources being extracted from our cancer services to excess beds that ENDA KENNY HAS NOWHERE TO PUT.

If we spend it without the usual FF corruption, the money will go further. Heard a few weeks ago that the HSE sent a scanner received as a gift for a public hospital to a private hospital. That is what makes me feel so sad about our country, we're blind to all the sh!t that FF has thown at us.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

simu wrote:
    Trying to suck up to Irish speakers? It came accross as insincere and smug.
    Maybe, but Bertie's "Go raibh mile maith agat" made me laugh.

What did Enda actually say though? There could have been a culchie codeword to launch an invasion on jackeens there.

nesf wrote:
    What? Of course he could have done better, every single Government we've ever had "could have done better" because it's impossible for any Government to fix everything and you can pick and choose what issues should be prioritised based on your personal politics which might not agree with any said Government. Ask substantial questions that might actually be answerable.

Toll bridge. We own it, we are fleeced each day. Now we will buy it and get fleeced again, each day. We own it already.

Hospitals, millions on PPARS, slurry from Dublin CC spread on lands in Wexford.

Rapists getting suspended sentences

Bertie receiving illicit and corrupt donations from businessmen for favours untold.

maoleary wrote:
    Toll bridge. We own it, we are fleeced each day. Now we will buy it and get fleeced again, each day. We own it already.

We don't own it, never have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

cregser wrote:

What did Enda actually say though? There could have been a culchie codeword to launch an invasion on jackeens there.

Waffle tbh. That he was glad to get a chance to have the debate, that he'd keep the economy strong... that's all I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

cregser wrote:

Lolz if it was I'm afraid I didn't quite catch it. Must be a Mayo dialect. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Stimpyone wrote:

If he means the East Link, we do.

Stimpyone wrote:

When we buy it we will. Answer the Q, no more dodging the issue pls, seen enough of it on TV already.

Stimpyone wrote:

When you pay for something you own it.

maoleary wrote:

The Law and the government are two different things.

Stimpyone wrote:
    The Law and the government are two different things.

Government regulates law. Answer the Qs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ballyarse

SeanW wrote:
    Maybe because Irish students don't give a flying fsck about it, because they can't speak the language and an obscenely high number of students either fail the subject in the leaving cert or skip/avoid it altogether? Giving students the choice to do Irish language courses, or do something they may be better suited to instead, seems like a pragmatic, sensible thing to do.

Unlike just blindly adhering to a doctrine of linguistic fascism just for the sake of it, which you seem to be advocating.

I would rather see an improvement on how irish is taught at in both primary and secondary schools our current system is ridiculous and archaic. Without reform we cannot abolish compulsory irish or the language will die altogether... me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

maoleary wrote:
    When we buy it we will. Answer the Q, no more dodging the issue pls, seen enough of it on TV already.

Just rescinded on the point that "we own it, we get fleeced on it every day". Come on. Stick to what you have said.

zuutroy wrote:
    If he means the East Link, we do.

Fair enough but thats not what he said:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Your Man

SeanW wrote:

How can you say all irish students dont give a toss about it when clearly that is not the case, whats needed is a reform of the way its thought not entirely scrapping it which will only kill our language. Im no supporter of fianna fail but ill vote bertie solely for the above reason.
    FG are only looking for something to hit the front pages and hopefully get a vote from the linguistic morons who cant seem to learn irish

• Advertisement

C'mon, answer the Qs

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

maoleary wrote:

Public Private Partnership no? I don't remember exactly.
    maoleary wrote:
    Hospitals, millions on PPARS, slurry from Dublin CC spread on lands in Wexford.

Eh, Dublin CC isn't the Government and the Government isn't directly responsible for their actions.
    maoleary wrote:

Matter for the courts, our courts and elected officials should be separate. It'll be a bad day when our elected representatives are changing Judge's verdicts.
    maoleary wrote:
    Bertie receiving illicit and corrupt donations from businessmen for favours untold.

Eh, they were possibly unethical, not illicit. A very big difference there. If they were illicit he wouldn't still be in office tbh.

maoleary wrote:
    Government regulates law. Answer the Qs

I think we both know its a little more complex than that. The government can not be seen to influence judges.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Your Man wrote:
    How can you say all irish students dont give a toss about it when clearly that is not the case, whats needed is a reform of the way its thought not entirely scrapping it which will only kill our language. Im no supporter of fianna fail but ill vote bertie solely for the above reason.
    FG are only looking for something to hit the front pages and hopefully get a vote from the linguistic morons who cant seem to learn irish

So how often do you use the language? It should be about choice imo.

Your Man wrote:

Dropping the compulory aspect is reform. No one has suggested scrapping Irish altogether, and if you believe that is what will happen if it is not compulsory then you have a rather dim view of Irish students, despite your protestations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Back on topic lads! Or else I'll tell the mods!

So Miriam was rockin tonight, agreed? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

maoleary wrote:
    C'mon, answer the Qs

I'm having trouble find your Qs as it were. Could you repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Was i watching the same show as you lot?:eek:

I thought Enda Kenny was incredibly poor, dull and looked like a puppy dog in comparison to Bertie.

If that man was to lead our country i truly don't know what i'd do..:eek:

If there was someone else leading this rainbow coalition i might support them but Enda Kenny just got knocked out in round one if you ask me.

Bertie kept his cool and cruised to victory.

Bertie ate up his proposal and showed that most if not all are flawed and unattainable..

And i'm no FF man

maoleary wrote:
    C'mon, answer the Qs
    What Q' s are you on about man?...

• Advertisement

Oh OK, lets leave the poor aul rapists alone, and let the CCs do what they like.

Fu!k it, how could I be so silly :rolleyes:

Advertisement