Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What think ye of this on ebay?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

Good price, if it isnt nicked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

Entry level hybrid, but one of the better ones and price is good. Make sure that the frame size is ok for you.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

As Membrane said, if it really hasn't been ridden, that's a good price. 25c tyres are well suited to riding on the rode, unlike most of the cheap mountain bike type yokes you see around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Membrane wrote:
    Make sure that the frame size is ok for you.
    How does one go about checking that?
    I am 6ft with an inseam of 33" what frame size should i be looking for?

How does one go about checking that?
    I am 6ft with an inseam of 33" what frame size should i be looking for?

56cm or 59cm should work for you, you'll have to ask the seller what size it is as he hasn't listed it in the add.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

That's a good price, unlikely to be nicked if he is including a lock with key! TBH just from the pictures it looks a bit on the small size, but you can ask.

well i bought the bike. back tyre seems a tad low on pressure. Might be something to do with the 14 stone weight it's bearing ;) They are very narrow tyres like a racer. I was a little disappointed in that cause i was gonna put a child carrier on the back but don't think this is possible now?

well i bought the bike. back tyre seems a tad low on pressure. Might be something to do with the 14 stone weight it's bearing ;) They are very narrow tyres like a racer. I was a little disappointed in that cause i was gonna put a child carrier on the back but don't think this is possible now?

Chinooks are sportive hybrids, fitting things like a rack or child carrier is not recommended. You should have said that this was the aim, we would have advised differently.

yeah no bother . Don't get me wrong tis a lovely ride. Taking the child on the back would have been nice but getting fit was the ultimate premise. So i'm a happy camper.

Is it possible to fit thicker wheels to these bikes?

• Advertisement

You'll get a more useful answer if you told us what problem you are trying to solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Probably, yes, to an extent. The limiting factors will be the frame/fork (which you can't get around) and the brakes (which you can get around by chaning the brakes.)

You can go up quite a bit by just changing the tyres/tubes, probably at least to 700x28, likely x32 or more (I think you are on 700x25 now.) You don't need to change the wheels themselves.

Make sure you pump the tyres up hard, thin road bike tyres should be inflated to a high pressure. 14 stone should not be a problem.

Your local bike shop will be able to fill you in on how much wider you can go and sell you new tyres. Tyres will probably cost between €15 and €30 each, plus an extra fiver per tube if they need changing. Bear in mind you can just change one tyre to a wider size, you don't necessarily need to do both. A good brand kevlar tyre on the back in particular is a good idea to avoid punctures- I have had very good results with Specialized Armadillos which cost in the region of €30 each.

EDIT: Looking at the extra photos the seller posted here, those brakes have acres of space and you should have no problem fitting significantly wider tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 TOURTHELANCE

Looks like a nice little purchase just make sure bike and equipment is in working order and frame size is proper fit...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Looks like a nice little purchase just make sure bike and equipment is in working order and frame size is proper fit...

Yes, getting a once over in a bike shop might be an idea, or a mate who knows a bit. If getting new tyres etc, or a carrier the shop should give a discount if getting a service too, or even look at it for free if they are not busy and you are buying enough.

I have a thicker tyre with more grip on my back, and a thin slick on the front. If you are in a muddy spot the back wheel is usually the one that will slip if cycling hard, since the power is exerted from it. Also going up small kerbs I can hop the front wheel up, but have less control over the back so prefer a thicker one on it.

thanks a lot lads....gonna bring it to a local shop so and see what they say.
    Membrane...the problem i was having was that i have pumped up the back tyre to it's max but it still feels/looks flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

i was having was that i have pumped up the back tyre to it's max but it still feels/looks flat.
    Possibly the wrong size tube in the tyre. How do you mean the max? have you a pressure guage?

If it is a presta tube (thin valve) then you can get an adaptor in the bike shop for 1-2euro so you can turn it into a schrader (car valve) and pump it in the petrol station to the right pressure. Max pressure is written on the tyre.

rubadub wrote:
    If it is a presta tube (thin valve) then you can get an adaptor in the bike shop for 1-2euro so you can turn it into a schrader (car valve) and pump it in the petrol station to the right pressure.

A risky thing to do, petrol station pressure gauges are often very inaccurate, they often aren't able to reach the high pressures needed for thin bicycle tyres, and if they are there's a significant chance of blowing up your tyre since they inject too much air in too short a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think car tyre pressures are typically 28-32 Psi, and most of the compressors in local petrol stations are, as mentioned, not up to the task of high pressure inflation.

The tyre is rated at 90 psi. I got a pump in ******looks around sheepishly***** ......Aldi and i have the back tyre pumped to 6/7 bar...dunno how accurate it is. It's a bit cheap and nasty if ya know what i mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

claud butlers ftw, i got a levante 3 years ago and its fantan. just bring the bike to a shop and get them to sort it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The tyre is rated at 90 psi. I got a pump in ******looks around sheepishly***** ......Aldi and i have the back tyre pumped to 6/7 bar...dunno how accurate it is. It's a bit cheap and nasty if ya know what i mean.

Fair play getting it pumped to anything with that Aldi pump, I didn't have a chance.. the valve clamp kept popping off.

Seen as we're on the subject of buying 2nd hand bikes and all . There is a Trek 3500 in the buy and sell that i'm thinking of purchasing to bring the child around in. What do yiz reckon? here's the photo

Advertisement