Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Languages at UL

Options
  • 17-05-2007 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

So Im a leaving cert and have put down applied langs. as my first choice. Is there anybody here doing/done it? Whats the lowdown?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 DozeyRozey

Hi, I had applied languages down in UL but took it off my CAO. I've just accepted Languages with concurrent teacher education so I'm trying to find out if languages are hard in college!!! have you heard anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Doing business and german in UL, starting in two weeks, heard its a big jump from leaving cert stardard, but you will have a lot of options for help and plus you wont be doing as many other subjects, you will able to give a lot more attention to the language.

Plus (thanks ninty9er) you can spend your 2nd year abroad possible in the country where your language is spoken so im sure that would be a huge help in learning it.

do you think its a managable jump from LC? I honestly didn't do a tap and I'm planning on being a language teacher!!! hmmm :\ Got a C1 in HL do you think that would be OK? how did you do?

Not so good actually, found the german exam in the LC hard and only got a C2, never the less I feel I am better than a C2 and I'm going to work hard at it. While the jump is said to be big enough there is also a lot more support available at 3rd level.

What language do you intend on studying?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Holy dead thread resurrection batman!

From what I hear, you'd really want to be in the B's and A's to be doing a language at third level. Now thats not to say that you can't otherwise, but I hazard a guess it's gonna take a lot of work for you and you'd have to be ready to put that in.

Two things to bear in mind with the language teaching course;
    - You have to spend a year abroad so speaking the language you major in
    - You're more than likely going to have to learn a new language from scratch, more than likely gonna be spanish if you didn't do both German and French for Leaving Cert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I got an A2 in HL German, and found it fairly easy and basic at UL, the vocab you'll be using will be quite restricted in Business anyway. German (was anyway) is treated like an intermediate level from start, whereas Spanish is taken as beginner (due to slack LC take up), though it's supposed to be shit hard....about a 40% fail rate. French is taught advanced from the start.

ninty9er wrote: »
    I got an A2 in HL German, and found it fairly easy and basic at UL, the vocab you'll be using will be quite restricted in Business anyway. German (was anyway) is treated like an intermediate level from start, whereas Spanish is taken as beginner (due to slack LC take up), though it's supposed to be shit hard....about a 40% fail rate. French is taught advanced from the start.
    Wow am I glad im doing german then, I got a A2 in the pre but a C2 in the leaving, I made a balls of the exam in the leaving so its good to know that I shouldn't find it ''too'' hard. Still though languages are one thing I don't intend to fall behind in, (fell behind in irish in 1st year of secondary school and never caught up...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

I'm studying Irish in UL at the mo - heading into 3rd year - and have to say that I find it really, really interesting. There's a good mix of stuff covered. There is a fairly heavy emphasis on grammar though, which is completely different to secondary school and they do expect you to be fluent when you arrive. THis isn't too much of a problem, you pick the language up very quickly when you're immersed. I think the main thing is that you enjoy the language and you want to learn.

The Irish department are much more laid back than other departments (I am told, Irish is the only language I study). Some lecturers tend to waffle a bit, and they don't really cover what they are meant to. This makes writing essays a little bit difficult sometimes, but there's a fairly good selection of books in the library, which makes up for that! Hope this helps if anyone is considering doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Did I mention most of the lecturers (in German anyway and maybe French) are native speakers...which helps, though none of them could really match my LC teacher who had an inside track on the curriculum since her cousin wrote most of the books, and she got the sense of humour of 17 year old Irish guys and was strict enough to get the work done....no way I could have gotten the A1 (it was an A1 actually....I have my cert on the wall next to my computer...how did I forget my only A1) or even close, maybe a B2 with the alternative teacher.

Grammar is important. I have good leaving cert notes that I kept referring to if you want a copy I'll scan them at work on Tuesday for you.

The "der, die, das, die" & "den, die, das, die" type stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

Resurrection!

I'm stuck between Applied Languages and European Studies.
    Just wondering what else can you do with Applied Languages.
    Is it just two languages you take as subjects or what's the jackanory?My languages being German [up to LC level] and Spanish [beginners]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Well. two years down the line and I can now speak from experience. I did, in the end go for Applied Languages and to be honest I dont regret it for a second.

The deal with the course is you take two languages from French, Spanish, German, Irish and Japanese, and a third option subject which has a slightly lower number of hours per week than the other two. However, this can be a third language.

In my case, my two major languages were French (Advanced) and Spanish (Beginners) and then Japanese (Beginners) as my option. If you're not so hot on the idea of three languages, and I wont lie to you, it's a lot of work, then you can take a subject like computers, economics or one other one I can't remember.

The only major differences between AL and European studies, is that AL is a lot more focused on the mechanics of language, ie there is very little culture study involved in the learning of your chosen languages. European studies is good if you want something broader, less language/grammar based. I chose AL because my eventual aim is interpreting and for someone like me its perfect, little or no culture study and 99% based on the physical language learning. I dunno if this has helped but don't hesitate to PM me with questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chica!

snazzy wrote: »
    Resurrection!

I'm stuck between Applied Languages and European Studies.
    Just wondering what else can you do with Applied Languages.
    Is it just two languages you take as subjects or what's the jackanory?My languages being German [up to LC level] and Spanish [beginners]

im havin the exact same problem... grrrr!! have you decided which one yer gona put number one??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Hey guys,

I am thinking about applying for the next year. I am a mature student and did french in my leaving cert over ten years ago so I don't remember a thing. The flipside is that I have been living in South America for the last two years and I will be here for one more so my spanish has come on a lot and by the time I get home it should be really good. I am also studying a little bit of german via books and the Rosetta Stone computer programme. By the time I leave for home I hope that I have good basic german but that's all it will be I'm afraid. I am hoping to jumpin to the advanced spanish and take german from beginner's. Is german offered at biginner's level. I worry that it isn't as so many students do either french or german. Also as I used to being abroad I am looking forward to the option of two semesters abroad. In my case would it be one semester in germany and one in spain or do you have to major and go to one country twice to focus on the language. And hey, what are the hours for these courses. I did Mech. Eng. years ago in C.I.T. and we had the most full schedule, 6 to 4 or 5 everyday with no time off. I would appreciate any answers you can give, cheers, it's a ball being so far away form home when you are researching courses, can't go to open days either. Ta

Hey guys,

I am thinking about applying for the next year. I am a mature student and did french in my leaving cert over ten years ago so I don't remember a thing. The flipside is that I have been living in South America for the last two years and I will be here for one more so my spanish has come on a lot and by the time I get home it should be really good. I am also studying a little bit of german via books and the Rosetta Stone computer programme. By the time I leave for home I hope that I have good basic german but that's all it will be I'm afraid. I am hoping to jumpin to the advanced spanish and take german from beginner's. Is german offered at biginner's level. I worry that it isn't as so many students do either french or german. Also as I used to being abroad I am looking forward to the option of two semesters abroad. In my case would it be one semester in germany and one in spain or do you have to major and go to one country twice to focus on the language. And hey, what are the hours for these courses. I did Mech. Eng. years ago in C.I.T. and we had the most full schedule, 6 to 4 or 5 everyday with no time off. I would appreciate any answers you can give, cheers, it's a ball being so far away form home when you are researching courses, can't go to open days either. Ta

http://www.ul.ie/~lcs/lm044/ <- The website says that you can take German and Spanish from ab-initio level. From what I’ve heard, they move fast enough with the material (beginner’s German), but it is not too hard either. It will also help that you’ve studied German a bit before starting!

I’m not doing Applied Languages, but the language modules I have (French + Advanced German) are similar/ the same as what they do, so I'll tell ya as much as I can :). For German you will have a history part of the module. Both beginners and advanced attend this, but I think the beginners students can answer the exam questions in English.That’s all I can tell you about that.

Also, you do know that, aswell as your 2 languages, you have to pick one elective from these?: Marketing, Politics and International Relations, or a Third Language ( Japanese or another language). Then you will have Linguistics, which is grand.

I think you’re more or less expected to do co-op (work placement) in one country and then do your Erasmus (study abroad) in another country. Open to correction though!

The schedule doesn't seem too hectic…. One of my friends is doing the course and I think she had 16 hours, which is grand. You might have a few extra since you're doing beginners German, but I doubt you'll have more than 20 :D That’s all I can really tell you since I’m not doing the course…. but I'm sure theres more language students out there who can offer more advice!! Good luck :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ni ni

Hi Holystungun
    I'm hopefully (!) going into fourth Year in Applied Languages in September.
    Everything DozeyRozey said is more or less right!
    Is german offered at biginner's level. I worry that it isn't as so many students do either french or german.

You can take German from beginners now(when I did it you couldn't and I had to start with advanced German even though my German is poor.) I'd say you'll be able for advanced Spanish. :¬)
    Also as I used to being abroad I am looking forward to the option of two semesters abroad. In my case would it be one semester in Germany and one in Spain or do you have to major and go to one country twice to focus on the language.

You can go to both countries. a couple of girls in my class went to Germany twice because one had German and Irish only, and one was giving up Spanish after Erasmus so there was no point going to Spain. I went to Japan on co-op, and Spain on Erasmus then gave up Japanese! errmm, don't follow my lead on that kind of carry on.
    And hey, what are the hours for these courses.

The hours are about 16 - 20 a week. They say you are supposed to be in the library or the language resource area during all the free time in your timetable.

Other stuff:
    What are you picking for your third subject? French, Irish, Japanese, Politics and International Relations, or Marketing? (Marketing is Economics in first year.) You'll also have Linguistics.

For languages: The college arrange meetings where all the Erasmus students come together and you can find language exchange partners for the languages you are studying.

As a mature student you can get extra classes too. (I was the only mature student doing German so I had one-to-one in my German grind LOL)

Also there are always workshops on about specifics, for example there is one about rules using Der, Die and Das in German, or the subjunctive in Spanish, or the past tenses in Spanish.

The LRA has loads of foreign languages DVDs, and you can watch foreign language TV up there.

Any questions you can ask me if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Hey, thank you both so much for your helpful replys, really really appreciate it. As regards a third elective I thought that computers was an option or is that later on? I would not take on a third language as I think it would be too much for me personally. Marketing doesn't sound like something that would rock my world, nor economics so I suppose it would be polictics and international relations. It sounds like a subject that means lots of essay writing??? I hope not. And apologies there was a mistake in my last message as regards the hours for mech. eng. in C.I.T., of course we didn't start at 6. We started at nine but hey, it might as well have been from six. It seems crazy that the A.L. hours may only be 20 hours but I suppose I understand the idea that the rest of the time you are to be in the lab or whatever. I have to say that when I was college before I was good and kept on top of my work in first year but then as I had much more of a social life in second year I really ballsed it up and failed my repeat exams too. I would be nice to make up for my youthful folly. Let's see what happens. I have to say I am doing this course out of interst in language and travel, I do not know what career path will be at the end, I suppose I'll worry about that when I get through it all, but hey NiNi do you know what you will end up doing or whether you move abroad or stay?? Thanks again guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ni ni

Hey holy
    As regards a third elective I thought that computers was an option or is that later on?

No, there used to be a course called applied languages with computing, that stopped in 2005.
    so I suppose it would be polictics and international relations. It sounds like a subject that means lots of essay writing??? I hope not.

I'm afraid so! I was asking a girl in my class about the electives when i was writing my first reply (she does Marketing), and she said she though the Politics one is a lot of essays!
    I have to say that when I was college before I was good and kept on top of my work in first year but then as I had much more of a social life in second year I really ballsed it up and failed my repeat exams too.
    I'm doing that now :( (más o menos)
    but hey NiNi do you know what you will end up doing or whether you move abroad or stay??

LOLZ I don't even know if I'm going into fourth year.... :-/
    There is a change of elective in semester two of 3rd year. You'll do three semesters in UL, two abroad and when you come back you can change your elective C. So if you take Politics, you can change that then. The two choices are Technical Writing and TEFL. I changed Japanese for TEFL. I think for me personally, TEFL is a better "door-opener" after I leave UL. In times of recession people tend to go back to education or improve themselves so TEFL is an industry that thrives during economic downturn. However having said that, I've always detested the notion of becoming a teacher. This leaves me confused! I've lived penniless (I mean PENN-I-LESS!!!) on three continents so I'd say I'll travel again after my degree (if I get it), but to answer your last question shortly: I don't have a clue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭catrina101

Thought I'd resurrect this thread a bit!!

I'm just after dropping out of a course with irish, after 1st year. I'm taking the year out and going back to college next sept. I want to do something with Irish and hopefully teach (as I done teaching practice this year) so I was considering UL for applied languages - Irish and French. Can anyone give me info on this, considering that I've already dropped out of one course and I want to love this one! (LOL) Like, what modules do you do in Irish and what are the hours like?
    Also, what should I ask on the open day, like key questions?
    Limerick in general, is it as scary as it's made out to be? (I'm a Connaught girl!!)

On-campus accommodation, which is better/closer to the college!?

Thanks in advance!! x

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

catrina101 wrote: »
    Limerick in general, is it as scary as it's made out to be? (I'm a Connaught girl!!)

Thanks in advance!! x
    hi done be worried about limerick at all the students are very friendly and you won't be the only person from connaught there there are plenty of us down here

as for on campus accommodation
    it depends on what you want it goes from very basice in plasiey to extremely nice in dromrow thomand and cappa

best of luck with your choice applied languages isn't the only course you mite be interested in they also do PE and irish if you are into sports and after a four year program you would be a qualified teacher

mayo_lad wrote: »
    hi done be worried about limerick at all the students are very friendly and you won't be the only person from connaught there there are plenty of us down here

as for on campus accommodation
    it depends on what you want it goes from very basice in plasiey to extremely nice in dromrow thomand and cappa

best of luck with your choice applied languages isn't the only course you mite be interested in they also do PE and irish if you are into sports and after a four year program you would be a qualified teacher

Thanks for the reply!!
    Yeah It'd be a big shock to the system as I was previously in St. Angela's - tiny tiny place!! :pac:
    But I'm looking forward to actually experiencing the university life!! I'm heading down to the open day next week so that should answer all of my queries and once I get a good look at the place it'll make my decision all the easier!
    I was gonna stay away from arts as I just don't like the idea of it :rolleyes: I'm pretty good at Irish and have built up a bit of fluency but the French is what's worrying me!! So I might take the year to brush up on my skills!

I've been hearing a lot about Dromrow I think I'll choose that. Random Q, what building would the "Applied Lang." lectures take place in? Might seem like a silly question!!

• Advertisement

you'll have lectures all over the campus . but you will have most off your language labs in the language building beside dromrow.

you'll have lectures all over the campus . but you will have most off your language labs in the language building beside dromrow.

Nice and handy! Thanks for your help ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JohnnyQuid

Thought I'd resurrect this thread a bit!!

I'm just after dropping out of a course with irish, after 1st year. I'm taking the year out and going back to college next sept. I want to do something with Irish and hopefully teach (as I done teaching practice this year) so I was considering UL for applied languages - Irish and French. Can anyone give me info on this, considering that I've already dropped out of one course and I want to love this one! (LOL) Like, what modules do you do in Irish and what are the hours like?
    Also, what should I ask on the open day, like key questions?

Thanks in advance!! x

Two of my friends are doing applied languages,their hours would roughly be around 20 hours per week.Most of their lectures are in the language building so as for accom the closest place to that building is drumroe,and I'm told that it's a great place to stay.

As for Limerick in general,it's a really safe place.It's much like any other town in Ireland,it's got its good parts and its not so good parts.I think things have gotten blown out of porportion in recent years so there's noting to be scared about....take it from a fellow Connaught person,trust me ;)

JohnnyQuid wrote: »
    Two of my friends are doing applied languages,their hours would roughly be around 20 hours per week.Most of their lectures are in the language building so as for accom the closest place to that building is drumroe,and I'm told that it's a great place to stay.

As for Limerick in general,it's a really safe place.It's much like any other town in Ireland,it's got its good parts and its not so good parts.I think things have gotten blown out of porportion in recent years so there's noting to be scared about....take it from a fellow Connaught person,trust me ;)

Niiiice - 20 hours. I had 35 give or take with my last course. Yeah i'm hearing a lot about Dromrow. I dunno though, my parents/family are all like "Limerick's so far away, why don't you just go to Dublin?"
    But I wanna do Irish with languages and usually Irish isn't included with language courses, like International Languages in UCD.
    I just don't wanna head to limerick and hate it! Cause it's so awkward to get home from!
    Sell it to me!!! :P

PS - What do your friends think of the App. Lang. course in general??

it's not that far away i live in westport in mayo and it takes me 3 and a half hours to get home which is'nt yhat bad . it's actualy shorter to go to sligo town from limerick than westport to limerick due to the n 17 .

it's not that far away i live in westport in mayo and it takes me 3 and a half hours to get home which is'nt yhat bad . it's actualy shorter to go to sligo town from limerick than westport to limerick due to the n 17 .

Hmmm interesting. I'm from leitrim myself.. I'm heading down to the open day anyway so i'll see what the place is like!! dublin would just be so handy with the train but i really wanna do this course. well i think i do :) least i've a year to decide!

Hmmm interesting. I'm from leitrim myself.. I'm heading down to the open day anyway so i'll see what the place is like!! dublin would just be so handy with the train but i really wanna do this course. well i think i do :) least i've a year to decide!

ya the train to dublin is farly class but if you are goin down to the open days you will know how long it will take you to drive down/ get the bus down also take into consideration that the gort bypass will be open by the time your going down to limerick

ya the train to dublin is farly class but if you are goin down to the open days you will know how long it will take you to drive down/ get the bus down also take into consideration that the gort bypass will be open by the time your going down to limerick

Yeah i'm not driving now but hopefully i will be by next september! (job/parents permitting) ha. So i'm getting the bus from sligo next week. Such a long journey and you stop in galway for an hour. Ugghhh.. :cool: you in UL at the moment or finished?

Yeah i'm not driving now but hopefully i will be by next september! (job/parents permitting) ha. So i'm getting the bus from sligo next week. Such a long journey and you stop in galway for an hour. Ugghhh.. :cool: you in UL at the moment or finished?

still in ul but not on campus at the moment i'm on co-op in Qatar ,

that is another extremely nice thing about applied languages is that you get to travel abroad for a semester,

• Advertisement

still in ul but not on campus at the moment i'm on co-op in Qatar ,

that is another extremely nice thing about applied languages is that you get to travel abroad for a semester,

are you doing applied languages? that is pretty cool. what does being on co-op involve? (sorry about all the questions but i suppose asking someone who's actually in UL is better than anything!! thanks for your help ;) )

Advertisement