Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Languages at UL

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

i'm doing mechanical engineering ,

and being on co-op is what ul calls work placement , so what i'm doing out here is working for a company called kentz .

there is also erasmus for applied languages students where you study in a college in Europe for a semester

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭JohnnyQuid

catrina101 wrote: »
    Niiiice - 20 hours. I had 35 give or take with my last course. Yeah i'm hearing a lot about Dromrow. I dunno though, my parents/family are all like "Limerick's so far away, why don't you just go to Dublin?"
    But I wanna do Irish with languages and usually Irish isn't included with language courses, like International Languages in UCD.
    I just don't wanna head to limerick and hate it! Cause it's so awkward to get home from!
    Sell it to me!!! :P

PS - What do your friends think of the App. Lang. course in general??

The 20 hours only applies to one of them but she is doing 3 languages instead of 2 so your hours could be less than that.I don't know what my other friend has hour wise.They both seem to really like the course and the modules in it but we don't talk much about our courses so thats all I know.

I was a bit reluctant first when Limerick was suggested to me for my course but now that I'm here I don't see why I was so reluctant.Some people *coughs* the media *coughs* really give Limerick a bad name but it's as safe as Roscommon for me or Leitrim in your case.I can't see you not liking Limerick.There's so much stuff to do aswell so you'd never be bored.

As for travel it's about a 2 and a half hour bus journey from Roscommon ans I think it's a bit over 3 hours for Sligo.The bus I get is McGowans,they do the west and north west basically.It's a fairly resonable price aswell,only 12 euro for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭catrina101

JohnnyQuid wrote: »
    The 20 hours only applies to one of them but she is doing 3 languages instead of 2 so your hours could be less than that.I don't know what my other friend has hour wise.They both seem to really like the course and the modules in it but we don't talk much about our courses so thats all I know.

I was a bit reluctant first when Limerick was suggested to me for my course but now that I'm here I don't see why I was so reluctant.Some people *coughs* the media *coughs* really give Limerick a bad name but it's as safe as Roscommon for me or Leitrim in your case.I can't see you not liking Limerick.There's so much stuff to do aswell so you'd never be bored.

As for travel it's about a 2 and a half hour bus journey from Roscommon ans I think it's a bit over 3 hours for Sligo.The bus I get is McGowans,they do the west and north west basically.It's a fairly resonable price aswell,only 12 euro for me.

Ooh I wonder is that McGowans from Drumshanbo? Awh that's not so bad. I had been looking at a similar course in DCU but this seeming to be better!! Haven't been down to Limerick in ages. Is the city as good as Dublin for shops like!?
    mayo_lad wrote: »
    i'm doing mechanical engineering ,

and being on co-op is what ul calls work placement , so what i'm doing out here is working for a company called kentz .

there is also erasmus for applied languages students where you study in a college in Europe for a semester

Awh that sounds class. Are ya out there for long? :O Jealous.. :) Yeah that sounds so cool I hope the points don't go up loads for this course I really want it now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

Ooh I wonder is that McGowans from Drumshanbo? Awh that's not so bad. I had been looking at a similar course in DCU but this seeming to be better!! Haven't been down to Limerick in ages. Is the city as good as Dublin for shops like!?

the shops are all right in limerick the crescent shopping center has a good selection of shops in it .

also the people on campus are very friendly and there are loads of clubs and socs which are very active

Awh that sounds class. Are ya out there for long? :O Jealous.. :) Yeah that sounds so cool I hope the points don't go up loads for this course I really want it now!!

i've been here for 4 months and i have another 2 months to go here which isn't that bad I'm hoping to be back for Christmas .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭gfgfgf14

I am doing leaving cert french and germen.Is there much of a jump in both from leaving cert?
    5th year

• Advertisement

Ya that'd be the very one alright.From what I've been told it seems much better anyway.Ya it is and on the plus side it's smaller so it's easier to get around.I've been told that cresent shopping centre has a good few clothes shops (i'm assuming thats what you meant?) and there's others in or around the town.

Come down to the open day for a gawk anyway.I should be busking around the college on wednesday for the music society so come and support me :p

gfgfgf14 wrote: »
    I am doing leaving cert french and germen.Is there much of a jump in both from leaving cert?
    5th year

I'm not too sure about that but I've seen some of the things my friends got to do in French.They've got documents to learn off and questions to answer on them.They were telling me about some of their labs,they basically put headphones on and repeat stuff over and over again (don't hold me to this now,I'm just paraphrasing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Taty666

I`m mature student, what are my chances to get place?
    in between LM044 LM055 and LM032

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rossoc

I want to do applied languages in ul aswell, but afraid i wont get the points and will have to do arts in galway...does anyone know what the difference? is applied languages a better degree/qualification?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

rossoc wrote: »
    I want to do applied languages in ul aswell, but afraid i wont get the points and will have to do arts in galway...does anyone know what the difference? is applied languages a better degree/qualification?

With arts you can go to any area with your certain subjects that you chose but eventually that is narrowed down and you really have to think abot if yhat's the right thing for your career in the future. For applied languages, you're cv will look great with the languages you study on there and you'll also be able to work abroad an what not in the future :)

I also no a number of people doing arts in galway and they do not enjoy it at all so it's whatever you think you'd prefer :)

• Advertisement

Ya what i really want to get into is translation and working abroad? so would applied languages be a better route to go through? i was asking my french teacher what she thought and she said that she couldn't tell me because she didn't know anyone that had done it, all her friends who were teachers and translators went through arts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

rossoc wrote: »
    Ya what i really want to get into is translation and working abroad? so would applied languages be a better route to go through? i was asking my french teacher what she thought and she said that she couldn't tell me because she didn't know anyone that had done it, all her friends who were teachers and translators went through arts?

Well the jobs I was told I could go into were teaching, translation, interpreation, etc. I'd say applied languages is a better choice if you're definitely wanting to focus on languages :)

Thanks a million for all the help..think i will put it down, i have a friend in first year of applied languages and she loves it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bones1995

Applied languages or European Studies??? I'm having a bit of a dilemma! Love languages and both these courses offer them. Would ideally love to work from the EU as a translator! Applied languages would prob be the better course for languages but would European studies be more useful because of the languages, the European law, history and economics?
    How many hours is european studies and applied languages anyways?

Advertisement