Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash Warning Light - NCT Fail?

Options
  • 17-05-2007 3:00pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My NCT is tomorrow morning and I wasn't able to get the sensor to fix my ASC/traction control in time.
    My traction control light is on permanently and Im wondering if this is a deffo NCT failure. I couldn't see it in the NCT manual. There is reference to the ABS warning light but this isn't it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

dont know try giving them a ring or call up to your local nct garage and ask

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

i dont think it would i have seen cars passed wit the airbag light on and if it does fail it will only be a visual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Remove the panel, disable the light ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Dare I say it, KB...

Take the bulb/fuse out :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thats what the current plan is but Im seeing if its even needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

As a matter of interest, what does the manual say about the ABS light ? I have a car for testing this month that has an intermittent ABS light on - probably also the sensor

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It'll pass no problem*. I've sent many cars in with airbag lights on and they've sailed through.

*Unless you get a tester who wants to make a name for himself!

@ m_stanley
    ITEM: Anti-lock Brake System
    REASONS FOR FAILURE: (4) Warning light not working or indicates a defect in the
    anti-lock system.

NCT manual pg 10

leave it as it is and take the chance no point taking the dash and removing the bulb if you dont need to if your unlucky and it fails drive home take the bulb drive back up and they pass it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

lol

last poster, that would be a quick fix of the abs sensor..;)

the mechanics would commend your technical ability.

• Advertisement

i was referring to the post that kbannon layke and roundymooney kbannon said that was the plan so i thought he knew what to do and i was talking about thr traction control light not the abs and was meant as a quick fix to get thru the nct

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Not part of the test therefore they cannot fail you on it. It does not matter if you come across a tester having a bad day, the computer system that NCTS use will not allow them to fail you on something that isn't part of the test.

The only warning lights that are part of the test are the ABS one (if applicable) and the headlamp main beam one. edit: possibly the handbrake and indicator tell tale lights are part of it too but an ASC light definitely isn't.

Cheers all.
    Now - just to fail on the knock from the rear (possible strut top mount) and whatever else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 lugnut

ABS warning light is definite fail - My abs light was on continuous so took out bulb for NCT and they noticed light wasn't coming on on start up and it was a fail refusal... They have a big chart on the wall (In my local test station) with "ABS WARNING LIGHTS" in massive writing across the top - apparently it shows the sequence of abs warning lamp for each different manufacturer (And maybe model?).

well kbannon did it fail or pass

I put the car through the test. The warning light indeed was not a test item.
    The strut top mount or whatever it is causing a knocking at the passenger rear wasn't bad enought to cause a complaint (no movement on wheel).
    The car did fail on a frayed/cut steering rack gaiter and worn center propshaft coupling.
    The lights were perfect, brakes were quite good and emissions were as follows:
    780rpm:
    CO: 0.00% (must be under 0.5%)
    HC: 0ppm (must be 0ppm)

3050rpm:
    Lambda: 1.006 (must be between 0.97 and 1.03)
    CO: 0.00% (must be under 0.3%)
    HC: 9ppm (must under 200ppm)

Advertisement