Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports grounds on Ennis Road

Options
  • 17-05-2007 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

The Limerick City Council are still looking at plans for the future of the LPYMA grounds on the Ennis road.
    What do people think would be the most beneficial? It's quite a large site and a real opportunity to put some good facilities into the heart of Limerick.

I'd like to see a facility with a full size astroturf, squash, 5 a-side pitches and a gym/hall/bar/changing rooms building. It's quite a large field so it could all be fit in easily.

Here's the ground in case people don't know it.. http://www.wikimapia.org/#y=52668016&x=-8633645&z=17&l=0&m=a&v=2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Good idea with the astroturf pitches.
    Not much chance of it but a decent sized swimming pool, not too many pools/GYMs this side of town that dont cost a fortune to join.
    Decent security to keep the skangers away from it ha ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It's not all that big and all the residents would object on traffic grounds...the residents around Shelbourne park even objected to a playground FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

LPYMA + Shelbourne Park - what a waste of decent green space.

Maybe Limerick City Council will sell some of the site for developers to build appartments - like in the People's Park!!

Any news on the proposed neighbourhood parks (with the pitches etc) for Caherdavin/Clonmacken area ?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

ninty9er wrote:
    It's not all that big and all the residents would object on traffic grounds...the residents around Shelbourne park even objected to a playground FFS

It's surprisingly big although parking might be a problem but I'd say you'd fit most of that in with out too many problems.
    There's already loads of traffic on the Ennis road don't think it would make any difference at all.
    Not much chance of it but a decent sized swimming pool, not too many pools/GYMs this side of town that dont cost a fortune to join. Decent security to keep the skangers away from it ha ha!

Aye pools are pretty expensive to run don't really see them splashing out on one.

Appartments have been mentioned as a possible use but it was given to Limerick CC on the condition that it continue to be used as a sports facility. So hopefully they won't try anything rash. It really is in a great location.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

dragonkin wrote:
    It's surprisingly big although parking might be a problem but I'd say you'd fit most of that in with out too many problems.
    There's already loads of traffic on the Ennis road don't think it would make any difference at all.

It's about the same size as Limerick Lawn, 12 tennis courts aren't that big.

The fact that there's already loads of traffic is reason enough not to put more there. The only way to do this is for the CC to buy St. Munchin's and use the 2 for such a purpose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

ninty9er wrote:
    It's about the same size as Limerick Lawn, 12 tennis courts aren't that big.

The fact that there's already loads of traffic is reason enough not to put more there. The only way to do this is for the CC to buy St. Munchin's and use the 2 for such a purpose

Here is a quick picture of what I had in mind..

lpyma.jpg

There is plenty of parking around the astroturf (look at the cars in maternity hospital car park to get an idea of space required).
    Some of the space (of which there is lots) to the left of the blue hall could be used as changing rooms/squash courts/bar/gym and the rest parking.
    The 4 patches on the right side are five a side courts.
    I know that that is not a perfect picture but it gives some idea.

I don't think traffic increases would be anything major maybe forty cars an hour at most, there must be forty cars a minute going past there most of the time. Also it would be mostly used in the evening after work when there is less traffic anyway.

Advertisement