Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick question: the fastest goal ever scored?

• 17-05-2007 3:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭

Hey gang, a very quick question: what's the fastest goal any of you can ever recall being scored in a competitive/international friendly fixture? I've been having a look around Google and Wikipedia but can't find anything official or any definitive answer so I thought the well-weathered folk of Boards could help...

So what's the fastest goal ever scored in a proper standard of fixture? I'm trying to avoid "My mate scored from kick-off in a Sunday league game" kind of anecdotes, I mean stuff like Ryan Giggs getting one in 14 seconds against Southampton in the league. Can anyone think of a goal scored directly from kick-off, for example?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I remember Stan Collymore got one for Liverpool almost from the kickoff. Can't remember where though. Will have to look that one up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Sure there are quicker goals in other comps but the fastest goal in a World Cup match was scored by Turkey's Hakan Sükür after only 11 seconds against South Korea in 2002.

Didn't San Marino score against england in a similar amount time once?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Found it.

San marino had a brief moment of glory when they faced England in a World Cup qualifier on November 17, 1993 and took the lead through David Gualtieri after just 8.3 seconds - still the fastest goal in World Cup competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I remember Stan Collymore got one for Liverpool almost from the kickoff. Can't remember where though. Will have to look that one up.
    Was it a cup game? I know that the above Giggs goal is still the fastest in Premiership history but there could well have been others in cup competitions.
    marco_polo wrote:
    Sure there are quicker goals in other comps but the fastest goal in a World Cup match was scored by Turkey's Hakan Sükür after only 11 seconds against South Korea in 2002.
    Ah, the 3rd-4th place playoff. Always a good one. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I found this as far as i know the Argentinian record still stands.

• Advertisement

The current world record of 2.8 seconds was set by Argentinian Ricardo Olivera for his side Rio Negro in the Uruguayan league in 1998.
    Can anyone beat this?

I found this as far as i know the Argentinian record still stands.

edit: i think BBC's site just went down. here's the google cached version

edit edit: it turned an edit into a new post... wth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Roy makaay scored after about 13 sec against Real madrid this season, and Real kicked off the game:D

evad_lhorg wrote:
    Roy makaay scored after about 13 sec against Real madrid this season, and Real kicked off the game:D

hmmm... that'd be an even more interesting record. i wonder is it the fastest in that category?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Gilberto scored after something like 8seconds against PSV in the champions league a few years ago. Pity it wasn't this year.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It was about 20 seconds actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Ricardo Olivera for Uruguay...??

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

In an interfirm match I played a few years back in Limerick, a lad from our team scored after a few seconds after he booted it after the kickoff was tapped to him and he spotted the goalie off the line. Sadly not recorded in the annals though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Damien Mori scored for Adelaide City after a few seconds from halfway in the Aussie league. I remember it from the time and Wiki just confirmed it for me.
    In 1996, Mori held the world record for the fastest goal after he scored for City in just 3.69 seconds in a 2-2 draw with Sydney United.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damian_Mori

The current world record of 2.8 seconds was set by Argentinian Ricardo Olivera for his side Rio Negro in the Uruguayan league in 1998.
    No takers on beating this one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Think Glen Crowe has the fastest Irish goal, 9.1 seconds v UCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

againest Newcastle, we beat them 4-3, it was the second of the two 4-3 results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

marco_polo wrote:
    Found it.

San marino had a brief moment of glory when they faced England in a World Cup qualifier on November 17, 1993 and took the lead through David Gualtieri after just 8.3 seconds - still the fastest goal in World Cup competition.

while on Holiday in Italy in 1996, about 2 hours drive from San Marino, my uncle struck on the great idea of going in search of the man himself.

We weren't sure of his name, either way, the locals had no clue who we meant :eek:

We thought he would be a local hero, he was a hero to us! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

How about this

http://my.break.com/media/view.aspx?ContentID=150489

4 seconds and by a woman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

5starpool wrote:
    In an interfirm match I played a few years back in Limerick, a lad from our team scored after a few seconds after he booted it after the kickoff was tapped to him and he spotted the goalie off the line. Sadly not recorded in the annals though.
    It is now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

bohsman wrote:
    Think Glen Crowe has the fastest Irish goal, 9.1 seconds v UCD.

Someone scored in my sons game a few weeks ago, the ref clocked it at 8 secs -- it was under 9's -- does that count :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_0zshOEsbU

Last weekend.

red has one clocked at 3:17 seconds in brazilian league.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

KdjaCL wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_0zshOEsbU

Last weekend.

red has one clocked at 3:17 seconds in brazilian league.

kdjac

was watching that one on la liga highlights this afternoon. that was a serious pass from centre midfield!

Advertisement