Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Socket 771

Options
  • 17-05-2007 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

So....The IT lad in here gifted me with two 2.66GHz Xeon's (Core 2 architecture ones, aka woodcrest). Conveniently for me, they're engineering samples, so should overclock like the clappers if I can find the right kit.....Unfortunately, they're socket 771. :(

Can anyone recommend a decent place to buy socket 771 gear? Or a barebones system? Or any way to (as cheaply as possible) make use of these babies?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's going to be expensive...771 motherboards are fairly costly, although I suppose the fact that you already have the cpus does balance it out....a little. Sorry i've no practical advice...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Found some on newegg that have PCI-Express 16x slots for around $375, which, given 2 free engineering sample xeons, is probably a bargain. Still though....$375!

I'd be quite happy to get a cheaper single processor board if I could. Can't seem to find any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Dual Skt 771 board with PCI-E for €336 HERE in UK.

Do you need the PCI-E x 16 slot? You can get cheaper boards if not.

Would make a great Folding @Home rig :D

Hehe. It certainly would. I'm kinda in two minds at the moment. I have a Q6600 (@3GHz) with socket 775 board. If I sold them, I'd have enough for a socket 771 board + ram. This would limit my upgrade path, but those two processors should overclock very nicely with the unlocked multi and being xeons and all.

I do LOVE my Q6600 though. It's really great.

I don't have enough spare cash atm to build a new machine around these socket 771 chips, so it's one or the other.

It's all very confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Khannie wrote:
    Found some on newegg that have PCI-Express 16x slots for around $375, which, given 2 free engineering sample xeons, is probably a bargain. Still though....$375!

I'd be quite happy to get a cheaper single processor board if I could. Can't seem to find any.

There are 3 boards listed on Dabs.ie.

Cheapest is €288.
    http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4G1W&CategorySelectedId=11143&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11143,404500000

• Advertisement

Yeah, saw that one. It's some weird form factor (probably rack). :(

Edit: I have a somewhat related thread on the tweaking and modding forum (rather, they started out unrelated, but are merging). Chosen found this board in elara which looks pretty decent....

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1254254#

edit: Feck. It is also that weird form factor. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Khannie wrote:
    Yeah, saw that one. It's some weird form factor (probably rack). :(

Edit: I have a somewhat related thread on the tweaking and modding forum (rather, they started out unrelated, but are merging). Chosen found this board in elara which looks pretty decent....

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1254254#

edit: Feck. It is also that weird form factor. :/

look in the case section on Elara, they sell the SSI CEB form factor cases.....
    http://www.elara.ie/products/cases.asp?ECatID2=630701&2P2ID=131&Desc2=Other

€176+ for the Antec Titan, cheapest on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

I'll call first dibs on your q6600 if you decide to sell it :D

Well thanks for the help everyone.
    hopeful wrote:
    I'll call first dibs on your q6600 if you decide to sell it :D

Hehe. Your nick says it all. ;) Selling the Q6600 is looking unlikely now I have to say. I may just hang on to the woodcrests for a bit and see if I can pick up a cheap motherboard on ebay. Not really sure what to do with them tbh. Can't afford to build a rig around them at the moment though. :(

Advertisement