Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English comparitive question

Options
  • 17-05-2007 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭

So, which of the three comparitive modes are you hoping comes up or think is most likely to appear? I'm hoping for Cultural Context

English comparative - what are you hoping for? 28 votes

Theme or issue
    0% 0 votes
    Cultural context
    39% 11 votes
    Vision & Viewpoint
    60% 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Yes thats my preferred mode aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I have the Less Stress More Success book thing, and its for 2007, 2008, 2009. On the comparitive, it says that either the Cultural Context or the General Vision & Viewpoint will be asked, cos it gives the years beside them in brackets, and 2007 isnt beside themes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Also I didn't even do Vision & Viewpoint in school. Come on cultural context...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Cultural context was always my favoutite and then theme/issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

I got a high B for Theme/Issue in the mocks so I'd settle for that. Tbh, I might just get a copy off someone who got an A in the comparitive study essay and knick their points and stuff...

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote:
    I have the Less Stress More Success book thing, and its for 2007, 2008, 2009. On the comparitive, it says that either the Cultural Context or the General Vision & Viewpoint will be asked, cos it gives the years beside them in brackets, and 2007 isnt beside themes

Is that so? In that case why are we made study Theme or Issue at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

whats vision/viewpoint???
    for me it was literary genre??

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Mushy wrote:

Its either general vision/viewpoint, theme/issue of cultural context....not just those two you mentioned above. There is a 4th one that does come up, but isnt on the syllabus for the next 3 years. That fact is probably scaring some people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Diamond007

I hope general vision comes up cause it suits the texts we have studied the best. Is it better to do the 70 mark Q. or the two part Q??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

I'll be hoping to get some general vision action- quite easy if you know the basics of the texts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

I don't really mind.I guess theme and issues would be ok.I'd just write about the theme of disability or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I like both theme/issue and cultural context, but I find I go over the time every time I write a c.c one, even though they end up being great...so theme it is, the key moments are well learned off by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I'm doing both Cultural Context & Theme/issue, hoping for Cultural context. It's very simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 eimear89

whassupp2 wrote:
    whats vision/viewpoint???
    for me it was literary genre??

Literary genre isn't on this year. It's either theme/issue, cultural context or general vision/viewpoint. Personally I'm hoping for vision and viewpoint because I got an A1 in my answer for the mocks. It's basically just talking about what kind of world the director/author presents to us and is it an optimistic or pessimistic view. I don't understand why people dislike it so much. Cultural context will probably come up as well. Theme/issue has been up two years in a row

eimear89 wrote:
    Cultural context will probably come up as well. Theme/issue has been up two years in a row

Seriously? That sounds like the kind of thing I should have researched! Cultural context here I come...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

General Vision I suppose, hate the comparative!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Cultural

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Diamond007 wrote:
    I hope general vision comes up cause it suits the texts we have studied the best. Is it better to do the 70 mark Q. or the two part Q??

I find it so much easier to do the 70 mark question. I think once you get into the flow, you can keep on writing. Whereas, if you do the 50 / 20 mark questions, you always have to watch the time more carefully, and can sometimes get all messed up with time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Vision and viewpoint FTW All you have to do is show how the story reflects the authors outlook on life , its such a cinch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 pilchard

we studied all 3, cultural context, theme/issue, general vision and view point... i think i prefer theme/Issue, with the texts that we studied it is easy to compare them. my second choice would be general Vision and view point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭eoiner

Vision and viewpoint FTW All you have to do is show how the story reflects the authors outlook on life , its such a cinch

i agree, its so much more simple in comparison to the other two.....

Advertisement