Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Fundraiser - It's a joke - surely

• 17-05-2007 5:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭

Dear UCD Student,

The UCD Foundation will launch its first telephone fundraising campaign in September 2007. We will be calling UCD graduates to ask them to give to our Annual Fund. The purpose of the Annual Fund is to enhance the quality of the student experience by supporting new and exciting projects including campus developments, and providing scholarships, bursaries, new library materials and much, much more.

We will be hiring students as callers for a six week campaign. We are particularly interested in recruiting students with a demonstrable interest in, and commitment to, extra-curricular activities both within and outside UCD.

Calling takes place Monday to Thursday from 6pm – 9pm and on Sunday afternoon. The hourly rate of €11.50 is payable.

Interviews will take place on 20th/21st September.

Please register your interest by replying to this email (annualfund@ucd.ie) with your name and contact details.

With best wishes,

Martin Butler Aine Gibbons

Vice-President for Students Vice-President for Development

Do they honestly believe any student who has lived through the fiasco that has been UCD 06/07 will EVER contribute one single cent to this place?

I really, really hope they start with 2007 graduates but I guess thats unlikely. I might have to wait a couple of years but I'll get my chance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Trinity have been doing this for years, since at least as long as I started in 2004.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

It works. Exhibit A: O'Reilly Hall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

No big suprise tbh. Bit OT but I'm definitely applying to work there, 11.50 isn't shabby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I'll donate cash to my hopeless case of a secondary school before I'll throw a cent in the direction of UCD.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i thought the email was a bit of a joke too - it's a bit like bertie and his house for ucd, bad timing if nothing else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Blush_01 wrote:
    I'll donate cash to my hopeless case of a secondary school before I'll throw a cent in the direction of UCD.

Honestly, even with what little cash I have as a student if my options were to

a) burn €100

b) give €10 to UCD

I'd almost certainly go with A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm really tempted to email back "NOT A FÚCKING CENT!".

I don't think it's aimed at low-level earning people who have just graduated and are trying to find their feet to be honest. I don't see the problem with the email, I wish people offered me jobs through email more frequently. They'd probably be targeting business people and more than likely people who graduated over 5 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

padser wrote:
    Honestly, even with what little cash I have as a student if my options were to

a) burn €100

b) give €10 to UCD

I'd almost certainly go with A

thats

a) retarded

b) illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

To be honest this is a very good move on ucds part.

It's never a bad idea for an instituation (or an invdidual for that matter) to be even slightly less reliant on the government for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I think begging for money is a grand idea. Once it benifits the students. Seriously has UCD fallen into the hand of Michael O'Leary ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I think begging for money is a grand idea. Once it benifits the students. Seriously has UCD fallen into the hand of Michael O'Leary ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Ah sure think of all the D4's that are rich enough to give money to improve our time in UCD. I ain't gonna complain :)

Maybe we'll get our pool!!

They already ask you for money when you graduate, there's a form included in your graduation pack which gives you your graduation details (so yes, they do target students straight out of college who're "finding their feet"). Now they're going to bug you constantly for the rest of your life too? Well they can kiss my darling rump, to be honest. I'll be paying taxes for the rest of my life, I'm not giving them more than I absolutely have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Ha my parents are both grads + they get the alumni magazine. There's a form with the current issue whereby you update your details etc + you're put in a draw for a weekend away or something.

I'm sure people think this is for helping organising reunions and all that jazz, they don't know whats around the corner...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

gubbie wrote:
    Ah sure think of all the D4's that are rich enough to give money to improve our time in UCD. I ain't gonna complain :)

Maybe we'll get our pool!!

We are getting a pool. I wish people would stop saying we aren't. Nobody ever said we weren't. It's in the plans, it's happening. Agggh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

They say Campus Developments. I bet you in another couple of years, when we have this pool, it'll be called something fancy, after someone who put in a few bob into UCD.

Actually will grads be able to allocate where the money goes? Like if someone was to give €50,000 could they say "I wanna put this into cleaning out the pond" or will it all be lumped into one big Hugh Bradys collection plate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

this isn't new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Now they're going to bug you constantly for the rest of your life too?
    As has been said, this is not exclusive to UCD.

My dad gets stuff from mcmaster (canadian university) every few months that tell him all about the university, changes etc etc. Kinda like a magazine. Every so often they ask for help to help improve their current students facilities and since my dad now has a good job and a bit of money he's more than happy to help out from time to time since they helped him get where he is (it also helps that he enjoyed his time there i guess :p ).

If one day im lucky enough to be succesful i'd be more than willing to donate something to UCD for facilities for future students. Sure if i ever have kids they might go there (or go somewhere else where people also helped their old place of study better student facilities) and avail of them.

If you can't/don't want to help then simply say no. No need to make a hullabaloo ( :) ) about it.

Blush_01 wrote:
    (so yes, they do target students straight out of college who're "finding their feet").
    I'm sure they realise that they're not very likely to get much money out of people in that category, and it's more a case of fishing for the sake of it, getting as many contribution forms in circulation as possible etc. My secondary school sends out similar forms to students who only left 2 years ago to help them pay for the Theatre and Science and Technology building, it's more to put the idea in our head for later years and to convince parents/older siblings than an actual current plea for money.
    Anyway, I fully support this scheme, like it or not, educational institutions are built on legacies and if people are willing to donate, and the institute is willing to accept, I don't really see the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

they have some fúcking cheek asking for money after the balls up they have made this year........oh how i hope someone rings me and asks for money.......

People here need to stop viewing UCD with such a mono-faceted perspective. Administration fúcked up, ergo, administration are shít. However, administration are not representative of UCD in its entirety, it would be silly to direct negative prejudice at an entire institution based on the actions of one it's contingents. I very rarely see anyone here complaining about their department, in fact, usually I see people lauding their department with praise, I'm sure they'd enjoy some extra funding, and might even be a bit disappointed that you allowed your learning in UCD to be overshadowed by something they had no control over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

tintinr35 wrote:
    they have some fúcking cheek asking for money after the balls up they have made this year........oh how i hope someone rings me and asks for money.......

So you're going to tear into some cash-strapped current student from the safety of your phone because you're angry at the establishment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

This is probably the most retarded thread I've ever read.

griffdaddy wrote:
    People here need to stop viewing UCD with such a mono-faceted perspective. Administration fúcked up, ergo, administration are shít. However, administration are not representative of UCD in its entirety, it would be silly to direct negative prejudice at an entire institution based on the actions of one it's contingents. I very rarely see anyone here complaining about their department, in fact, usually I see people lauding their department with praise, I'm sure they'd enjoy some extra funding, and might even be a bit disappointed that you allowed your learning in UCD to be overshadowed by something they had no control over.

There's more than one reason why people don't complain about their department. And, to be honest, satisfaction is a very small part of it.

Blush_01 wrote:
    There's more than one reason why people don't complain about their department. And, to be honest, satisfaction is a very small part of it.
    I don't really follow? Should people hate the college they attended because of its administration, when from what I've read here people seem satisfied overall with their departments and social experiences?

Exactly, you don't follow. What I said was satisfaction with your department is not the only reason for not complaining about your department.

I don't know what you read.

The first part of my post was a genuine enquiry, the second part was a reiteration of my main point, not a corollary to your point. And you should know by now that you can't use an unspoken/unwritten reference to something to try and prove a point, how am I supposed to know what you're talking about? particularly when my point was that most people around here give very positive accounts of their departments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

I would have to agree with griffdaddy here blush, i have no idea what you are trying to say, except that you seem to feel people aren't as happy with their departments as they say they are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I must say if I ever came in to a lot of money I would give as much as possible to the university.

Advertisement