Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo Aftercare

Options
  • 17-05-2007 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Just wondering what is the best way to treat a tattoo after its done.....

I've taken the covering off it to let the air at it(I was advised to do so by a woman in Boots Chemist).

I have also been washing it in lukewarm water and applying handwash to it. Is there anything else I should do........?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Don't wash it too much, give it a light coating of bephanthen for the first week it'll scab up naturally, don't pick it, switch to some form of unscented moisturiser after the first week

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

How long before its usually good to go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Don't wash it too much, give it a light coating of bephanthen for the first week it'll scab up naturally, don't pick it, switch to some form of unscented moisturiser after the first week

I got a tattoo aftercare sheet from Celestial Ring in Stephens Green(where I got the tatt done), and they say to keep the tattoo covered for the duration of the healing time?? According to them, it should take 3 weeks.....?? Their tattoo aftercare sheet also says that, after washing it, re-apply a cover(clingfilm)after rubbing some Bepanthen onto it. It says to do this for 4 days.

After the fourth day, it says to take the cover off the tattoo...? It says to care for the tattoo in this way for 2-3 weeks, or until the tattoo has stopped flaking???

Does anyone else find this confusing, or is it just me....?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Hmmm i wouldn't bother with the cover as the cream is water proof itself, you might want to cover it for the first night or two at most to stop it sticking to your bedsheets other then that, LITFA

• Advertisement

Thanks for that......:)

I left it covered last night, and put a new cover on it today.....but took it off when the person in Boots(who also had tattoos)told me that I should be letting the air at it. It's getting kinda flaky now too.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

resist the urge to itch it!

It ain't itchy at all, mate.:D

Hmmm i wouldn't bother with the cover as the cream is water proof itself, you might want to cover it for the first night or two at most to stop it sticking to your bedsheets other then that, LITFA

Hey Emmet. I just rang Celestial Ring(their Abbey Street branch),and the woman there told me that I should cover the thing for another day or so.....??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

On the three i've gotten, each time I got one I washed it gently with lukewarm water and liquid soap twice a day, then patted it dry and applied bepanthen and occasionally moisturiser before covering it with cling film again. I did that for four days or so and after that just kept applying bepanthen every four hours until it healed. No scabbing or peeling, no itchyness, and healed perfectly, really quickly (mind you that could just be me, my body might heal fast naturally).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

Hey Emmet. I just rang Celestial Ring(their Abbey Street branch),and the woman there told me that I should cover the thing for another day or so.....??

Celestial Ring do recommend covering it for the first three to five days, it should lower the chance of infection and reduce scabbing. This is how I look after me tattoos, only I use a different cream since I react to Lanolin. Other studios and artists recommend different things, thats up to them. Your mileage may vary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

On the three i've gotten, each time I got one I washed it gently with lukewarm water and liquid soap twice a day, then patted it dry and applied bepanthen and occasionally moisturiser before covering it with cling film again. I did that for four days or so and after that just kept applying bepanthen every four hours until it healed. No scabbing or peeling, no itchyness, and healed perfectly, really quickly (mind you that could just be me, my body might heal fast naturally).

Thats the way i took care of mine and same results. Which is exactly what it says on the aftercare sheet from celestrial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Thats the way i took care of mine and same results. Which is exactly what it says on the aftercare sheet from celestrial.

Does it? Well, I got my first two there so maybe it just stuck in my head

• Registered Users Posts: 2 motorfan66

I did the same. Lukewarm water and liquid soap and patted it dry three times a day for the first week and twice a day for about two weeks or so after that, but I didn't re-wrap it. Once the wrap came off about eight hours after I got it done it stayed off. The only cream I used under advisement from the local chemist was Preparation H. I know it is a hemorrhoid cream but believe me it works a treat on tattoos. So much that I said it to my local tattoo artist and now he recommends it to all his customers after seeing how well it worked on mine.

Advertisement